New Animals Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Animals Documentary

I have made another Floyd documentary on Animals.
    As you are all aficionados, I have created some comments - published here only - for you to consider (my director's commentary if you will!)
    Enjoy guys.
    Lee (rael nyc)

I found the footage of Maggie by Battersea by pure chance and it works brilliantly. I love the way she 'looks up' and sees the pig!

France 74 - Perhaps I spend too long on this?

Gini photos - look nice cleaned up.
    In retrospect, I'd cut the football sequence out. I planned on having more links to football as I found a tour itinerary that mentioned football matches in it that the band planned to visit during the winter tour. I was going to have the actual scores of those games appear (as in the old fashioned 'type-writter' style text from 70s sports shows.

I am aware many photos in this early part are out of chronology. I talk about the 'overlong hair' but then don't show it until later.
    Waters' hair did look ridiculous during these shows. (6.22)

4.35 The kid selling the program is a gem, I know it's from the US shows but it helps to tell my story.
    The animated comic pretty well I'd say. I like the transition between Dave on the bike to him on stage.

7.10 - This mixes various version of Raving and Drooling together and I know the glitter ball wasn't used when it was played, it matches the music somehow.

10.00 The Roger in the studio photos are fudged from the Knebworth show (with the background faked)

10.50 I would liked to learn more about that bike parts knebworth photo and was surprised to see it used on other tour posters. Could have done more with this?

12.23 It was lovely to see this woman in a fur coat also the complete lack of yellow jackets, security staff and fencing. Comparing the 1977 and 2011 pig photo sessions it becomes very apparent how this aspect of our society has changed.

12.50 graphics are from the tour program / song book

13.37 - This dogs solo is a cover version, but it sounds authentic enough (to my ears) to use and has the ending I wanted.

14.31 - A little cheesy this drowning effect perhaps?

18.09 - These Scarfe drawings are from a planned Animals concert film. I wish I had mentioned this.

19.22 - The 'Sheeps Prayer' is from the original album run through a vocal isolation software. fucking incredible - I've never heard it so clear before.

20.33 - These pics are of various 70s tycoons and disgraced businessmen.

20.51 - Thatch and the animals!

22.00 - I tried to 'recreate' the inner cover photos with similar ones. Interesting to see that both Scarfe and Wright were at the battersea photo shoot.

24.38 - These are from an AI enhanced cover image I found online - amazing to see the detail in the cards etc.

25.33 - The only actual Animals era posed photos? I don't think Mason was actually at this photo shoot - he isn't on a photo with the other 3 I found.

26.11 - I was amazed how little decent cine film there was from these shows.

27.37 - The scarfe film from Shine On (1977 shows) again, perhaps I should have referenced this, as the footage is re-used in the Wall movie, many will not realise it is from 77. I wanted to illustrate how the end of animals 'becomes' the start of the wall.

28.37 - As with the comicbook cartoon, I paid an animator to make the final animation. I could have done it but it would have taken me too much time.

Thanks Lee, really looking forward to watching this tonight!

Comment

Superb, thank you. I really enjoyed this.

Comment

This really sounds mouthwatering, just from reading your comments, can’t wait to watch it. Thanks for putting in all the time and effort required to produce these videos. This is the sort of thing that was lacking from the recent Animals 2018 Remix release set.

Comment

Amazing watch.
          I love the isolated audio and use of footage.
          Far better than anything the band put out.
          Loved it!

Comment

Hats off to you!! Awesome piece of work...
            The Pink Floyd Archive

Comment

That was good! Thank you.

Comment

Absolutely stunning!!!

Comment

Really enjoyed this, thought the ending was brilliant and I loved seeing those Gerald Scarfe cartoons which I had not seen before!

Comment

Amazing, really excellent. I'm slightly surprised the originally-drawn cover artwork wasn't mentioned, but it's been reproduced often enough with Storm (?) talking about it and this rightly concentrated on the music and tour (audio) and the available and rarer imagery, photos and films (visuals). The Battersea footage was new to me, I wonder how I missed it for all these years?

Where is the "beyond the third Bardo" cartoon from? I'm sure I've seen it in a book somewhere, maybe Miles's Visual Documentary?
                    Last edited by Frankymole; 08-21-2023, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Really enjoyed that.

As usual a fan puts out better content than the band.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post
                        The Battersea footage was new to me, I wonder how I missed it for all these years?

Where is the "beyond the third Bardo" cartoon from? I'm sure I've seen it in a book somewhere, maybe Miles's Visual Documentary?
                        A lot of this stuff you will have seen before, but I’ve cleaned things up, re-edited them etc.
                        The ‘third bardo’ was from the tour comic.
                        I considered talking about that alternative drawn cover but somehow never got around to it.
                        Really glad people are enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by beeco View Post
                          Really enjoyed that.

As usual a fan puts out better content than the band.

​​​​
                          The guy on Vinyl Rewind is still the king.
                          imagine though what could be achieved if the band gave fans like us access to their own collections of photos, tapes, diaries etc...
                          The content they all put out is average at best. Thank god we have YouTube ( until it deletes my videos!)

Comment

I am personally not a sportsball fan, but actually enjoyed the photos and commentary about them playing football. Thanks for making an enjoyable documentary about one of my favorite later PF albums!! (I actually love most of the Pink Floyd's output, from 1965 to the present day... Except, I personally see The Endless River as just a TDB outtakes album!! Go figure!!) ^_^
                            Last edited by GhastlyFloyd; 08-22-2023, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I watched this last night and found it really enjoyable and informative. Nice job.
                              Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Working...
                              X