Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fingal's Cave Podcast Episode #5 - Chris Cockram "The 1977 Animals 'Veterans Tour' – life on the road with Pink Floyd"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more backround infos from Chris:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	556.7 KB ID:	356563
    Shot taken at the front desk ..

…please note the 8 Track studio tapes Nick is playing with..
    These carried all the special effect sounds.. Mr Pig etc etc.. Another first for Floyd.. Not sure what else was on them.. over lays I’m told.. all hidden in the mix...innovative and Hi Tech stuff ..
    Cheers.

Best
    Nils​
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

Comment

This must be the most important and interesting interview reference the 77 tour out there.
      The 3 of you done an amazing job.
      I could listen to this chat for hours.

The way Chris describes the spitting incident it sounds like it is at the end of the first set or end on the concert?
      Roger puts his guitar in the rack, spits and walks off.

Much appreciated guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny12 View Post
        Some more backround infos from Chris:

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	556.7 KB ID:	356563
        Shot taken at the front desk ..
        Love the podcast!

Mick Kluczynski with the tape. Was it fundamentally different to what they used on previous tours?

One article I think everyone interested in 77 should read (in case anyone hasn't) is Karl Dallas' report from Wembley. The original evidence of the Nakamichi cassette recording of every show - handled by one Derek Unwin, where is he now??

https://kdarchive.wordpress.com/2013...d-empire-pool/

(before anyone chimes in - yes it's labelled 1974 / yes Dallas mixes up Scarfe & Steadman - totally understandable given their interchangeability at the time, and the fact Scarfe was not yet associated with PF aside from the one cartoon - / and yes Dallas wrote a bad book which he disowned). None of which affects the wealth of information here.

Comment

Hi all, need your help!

Chris Cockram falsely remembers that the Pig got stuck at a show in Luxembourg, but they did not play there.

He also reflects on a audio recording where you can hear Robbie Williams begging the audience not to touch the pig…does anyone know which show it could have been? It should be Europe because i know that this event made them change a lot before they went to the US.

Best
          Nils

Available here:
          Youtube
          Apple Podcast
          Amazon Music
          Spotify
          Deezer
          Facebook

Comment

Hi all, need your help!

Chris Cockram falsely remembers that the Pig got stuck at a show in Luxembourg, but they did not play there.

He also reflects on a audio recording where you can hear Robbie Williams begging the audience not to touch the pig…does anyone know which show it could have been? It should be Europe because i know that this event made them change a lot before they went to the US.

Best
            Nils
            Over at PinkFlyodz website, he said it was an arena in the US:

https://www.pinkfloydz.com/other-exh...-floyd-roadie/
            What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
            PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
            Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
            Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
            Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
              Is there a reason why the same video isn't on your regular YT channel?
              Hi,

we finally decided to release all available videos on our channel

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...35ScILcRjlrRIU

Best
              Skinny

Available here:
              Youtube
              Apple Podcast
              Amazon Music
              Spotify
              Deezer
              Facebook

Comment

Hi all, need your help!

Best
                Nils

Hi,

My new contact is pretty confident that the Mr Pig got stuck at Stafford Bingley Hall due to a very low ceiling. Does anybody know if the announcement might be on any recording?

Best
                Skinny

Available here:
                Youtube
                Apple Podcast
                Amazon Music
                Spotify
                Deezer
                Facebook

Comment

Hi all, need your help!

Best
                  Nils
                  Rec2 in Cleveland captures an "unhand our pig" announcement, but obviously that's neither Europe nor indoors, so probably a completely different event.

Great episode, thanks so much for these and for making the video available!

Cleveland 19770625 intermission.mp3

Comment

Another great episode. Where are those recordings?

Comment

Originally posted by kenensky View Post

Rec2 in Cleveland captures an "unhand our pig" announcement, but obviously that's neither Europe nor indoors, so probably a completely different event.

Great episode, thanks so much for these and for making the video available!

[ATTACH]n358197[/ATTACH]
                      Oh yes, i finally found that one too! It’s so similar to what Chris quoted that I truly believe that he may have mixed these two events into one memory. So we are still positive that the pig got stuck at Stafford or Paris and that the zip line was to low in Cleveland. Would make sense too!

Best
                      Skinny

Available here:
                      Youtube
                      Apple Podcast
                      Amazon Music
                      Spotify
                      Deezer
                      Facebook

Comment

• Skinny12
                        Skinny12 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        BTW, this is not Robbie Williams, it seems to be a local crew managing the pig…maybe a union thing as the light cew?

Good morning!

As you all know, we recorded a podcast with Chris Cockram from Australia last summer. Chris was David Gilmour's guitar roadie on the 1977 Animals Tour and Nick Mason's roadie for a time. Many years ago, Chris wrote the book ‘We Skipped the Lite Fandango’ and also published a fascinating story of the ‘Veterans Tour’, as they called it, at A fleeting Glimpse.

After a first long phone call, it was immediately clear: He is a perfect guest for the podcast, who can not only tell stories eloquently and excitingly, but also shares insider knowledge and can therefore give completely new insights into tour life in 1977. We created a very nice episode and were very happy that we had time for it (and hope that he will be at the show again soon).
                      In addition, a friendship has developed between Chris and me; we write to each other regularly and sometimes we also talk on the phone.

One day we received a comment on YouTube from an old friend of Chris's who had randomly discovered the podcast and was trying to reconnect with him through our channel. So I asked Chris for permission and forwarded his phone number.

What happened next is one of the most beautiful (rock) stories I know: The two of them immediately spoke on the phone and soon arranged to meet. They were best friends for many years and are now best friends again!

Before you read the notes from Chris below, I would like to say something personal: This podcast gives us great joy and it makes us happy that we can hopefully paint a very diverse picture of our favorite band PINK FLOYD with the very different guests, topics and discussions.

BUT: If this little show can lead to two people finding each other again in distant Australia after many decades, that makes us really happy and even a bit proud. Even though we are a little embarrassed by Chris' kind words, I think everyone can feel how valuable this reunion is for him and Steve too.

Hello Nils.. I trust all is well in your world..
                      I’m writing this because I really want to say thank you so very much for the massive effect your PodCast has had for me.. on every level.. so very personal..
                      To think you have reached around the world to distant Adelaide Australia.. and touched a Pink Floyd Fan who just happened to see your promo on my episode.
                      He watched , he listened and in that moment he realised who I was and what it was he’d been wearing around his neck for 47 years.. Mr Pig.. The silver pig with “Thoinks”
                      engraved on the back.

Steve the brother of an ex partner of some 20 years living in London.
                      Still friends and Steve still much loved.. She had given him Mr Pig as a Christmas present in 1991.. long after we parted ways in 1983..
                      He’d worn it ever since..with much pride as he told my story to his sceptical mates..
                      Mr Pig was his treasure.. I was someone he admired ..With a heart of gold he knew he had to do the right thing and return Mr Pig to me..
                      So , with out a moments thought for what he was losing he contacted you Nils and you kindly connected us.
                      We met a week later as at the time I was in hospital having issues dealt with.. But we talked on the phone often in those days before we met and we discovered a mutuality and a respect that was wonderful.. as well as a deep love of music.. Floyd not least of all…
                      And so came the day and there he was at my front door holding a lovely old cuff link box that had been his Dad’s.. A man I knew well and liked a lot..
                      And there in the box was Mr Pig.. home at last..
                      Steve had picked up 2 white feathers and tucked them into the top hoop.. Mr Pig had wings.. feathered wings and now he really does fly .. I swear he’s smiling at me from his little box at my bed side..
                      He may be the last one left .. there were only 10/15 or so made..
                      He’s been gone from me presumed lost for 50 years and now because of you Nils.. you and all your PodCast Team .. We are reunited..
                      It’s an incredible feeling .. just to hold him.. there’s so much history there..
                      Floyd’s Animals Tour.
                      Doing guitars and back line for the band .. David Gilmore Nick Mason .. Snowy White.. Rick and the one only Roger..!!
                      And… Mr Pig..
                      Memories of amazing moments..
                      “The Veterans Tour..”
                      The precious memories and now a memento that is utterly priceless.
                      As if that’s not enough to have met Steve again .. to have had the moments we shared..
                      Laughter; tears.. both at the same time..!!!!
                      You did this Nils.. you’re the hero in this story and I want to say to all your listeners and followers you deserve the acknowledgment and respect due to one who has done something so bloody cool.. Enjoy the moment Nils.. all of you .. Enjoy the moment; be happy and be proud ..you did this ; you made it happen.. How do I thank you for that..!!!
                      More than just a Pod Cast when it touches people’s hearts and the ripple effect reaches all the way around the world..
                      Well done indeed Nils..
                      Not bad at all my friend.
                      Congratulations and heartfelt thanks from me ; forever grateful to you Nils.
                      Thanks too from my family who haven’t seen me this happy in too long.. too many years.
                      Thanks from Steve.. what a selfless respectful man he is..
                      We will enjoy our moments together as they happen.. He lives quite close so we’ll be seeing a bit of each other..
                      What a great out come..
                      who’d have thought when we first talked doing a PodCast that it would or could possibly have lead to all of this.. you couldn’t dream this stuff …!!!
                      As well as being a bloody good Episode..!!
                      I loved doing it and it seems to have been received well enough..
                      Such a worth while and rewarding thing to have been able to do..
                      Again.. Thanks to you all.
                      Regards
                      Chris Cockram.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	221
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	365365

Views:	151
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	365366

Views:	148
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	365367

Available here:
                      Youtube
                      Apple Podcast
                      Amazon Music
                      Spotify
                      Deezer
                      Facebook

Comment

What a wonderful story!

Comment

What a wonderfully uplifting, life-affirming post to read and so eloquently written by both you and Chris. In the episode Chris came across as a really great guy, unselfishly giving of his time and deserves everything he's described. What goes around, comes around.

Comment

One of the best things in life is making a positive difference in someone else's. Thank you for sharing this story!!

Comment

Wow, what a really incredible thing to have happened. Very heartwarming. Just goes to show that even over here in our little corner of the interwebs, the little things we do can have a big impact for some people, at least. Very cool story that just got better.
                              Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Working...
                              X