Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fingal's Cave Podcast Episode #5 - Chris Cockram "The 1977 Animals 'Veterans Tour' – life on the road with Pink Floyd"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fingal's Cave Podcast Episode #5 - Chris Cockram "The 1977 Animals 'Veterans Tour' – life on the road with Pink Floyd"

Hello Everyone!

Finally here it is, the episode we all have been waiting for!

We are delighted to introduce Chris Cockram in this episode of Fingals Cave.

Chris worked as a tour technician and tour manager for super bands such as U2, Queen, Rolling Stones, Elton John, and Pink Floyd in 1977. Chris tells some great new stories about working closely with David Gilmour and Nick Mason and gives a vivid sense of what became infamously known amongst the roadies as the “Veterans Tour”. We discuss increasing tension in the band, Roger and David’s audio recordings, technical problems that almost led to catastrophic consequences, and the famous Montreal 1977 spitting incident. Chris is additionally the author of the fascinating book, ‘We Skipped the Lite Fandango’.

​​Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	356299​​

As an exclusive offer to the dear members of R&D we also have the original video of our conversation, unaltered​ and unedited (besides one little cut due to technical problems)

-> Exclusive Video for R&D <-

Homepage: https://fingalscavepodcast.com
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5y6w7RQgIE
    Youtube (R&D exclusive video version): https://youtu.be/15J5LneNja0
    Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/de/podcas...e/id1686352696
    Amazon: https://music.amazon.de/podcasts/ef8...ink-floyd-fans
    Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5l7sw8X4YkSNpvxkYOzF2z
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

Well well well... my day just got brighter! Can't wait to listen to this one!

Comment

Woah, very cool!
      Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to check this out.
        - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

This was a great listen!! You and Ian are naturals at this and it really shows with how comfortable all of your guests seem.

Comment

• Skinny12
            Skinny12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you very much! I really hope our guests like it the way we do!

It's wonderful to be able to watch such an in-depth interview with Chris, someone who was there and witnessed it all first-hand. What a year he must have had. Same with the previous episodes too. Love the detail and the questions that 'sound a bit nerdy' and especially applaudable that the interviewee is allowed to talk at length without frequent interruption. Great job both.

Comment

I'm not religious at all, but you guys are doing the Lord's work. Really enjoying these videos!
            Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Awesome stuff! Oh where are those audio tapes??
              Pink Floyd - December 8th, 1987 - Seattle Kingdome

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Horne View Post
                Awesome stuff! Oh where are those audio tapes??
                I was under the impression that all of the shows during the tour were recorded. I thought I had read one time (or probably just made it up myself) that was why Roger would shout out a number during the show, to help keep track of the shows on the tapes for when they would eventually cut & paste songs for a live album.
                What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

I was under the impression that all of the shows during the tour were recorded. I thought I had read one time (or probably just made it up myself) that was why Roger would shout out a number during the show, to help keep track of the shows on the tapes for when they would eventually cut & paste songs for a live album.
                  Hi,
                  with all due respect to Chris’ very vivid memories, I would not rely on every single fact the way he remembers it. I truly think his remembrance is remarkable and very precise but more overall, as „how it felt“ plus a few outstanding events like the Pig being stuck. This is close to 50 ago and as he tells us the use of special white powder was a daily routine these days…🫣

Maybe there was someone recording/collecting the shows in Europe and he started doing the pick up later…but would also support the idea that Roger shouted out the numbers due to a recording.

Best Nils

Available here:
                  Youtube
                  Apple Podcast
                  Amazon Music
                  Spotify
                  Deezer
                  Facebook

Comment

Hi all,

i asked Chris about it but unfortunately said he never realized iit maybe because he was behind the stage during Pig3DO preparing something. Anyway he will ask a UK based friend of his to help us out there…

Best Nils

Available here:
                    Youtube
                    Apple Podcast
                    Amazon Music
                    Spotify
                    Deezer
                    Facebook

Comment

And so he did:

Nils ; I’ve spoken with my friend: David...
                      He was part of the PA crew on the Animals Tour.. he confirms existence of those mystery tapes.. even those done from the first part of Europe Tour..I didn’t know that..
                      He was out front at the desk ; and doing PA stuff while I was on stage..his view and memories are different to mine ; opposite views and memories of the same thing ..
                      […]
                      He’s a great guy and it was him who actually got me the job with Floyd.. after we did Steve Harley.. An interesting man and a life long friend of mine.
                      […]
                      Cheers.
                      Chris.​

Available here:
                      Youtube
                      Apple Podcast
                      Amazon Music
                      Spotify
                      Deezer
                      Facebook

Comment

While watching the interview I definitely thought it was curious when he said only the "last few" shows were recorded, maybe up to 10. That had me thinking, what might be the point of only recording a handful of the last shows? Obviously he doesn't have to be remembering this correctly but it caught my attention. By the way, appreciate the exclusive video for us. Is there a reason why the same video isn't on your regular YT channel?

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
                          By the way, appreciate the exclusive video for us. Is there a reason why the same video isn't on your regular YT channel?
                          Funny you ask....because we are discussing it right now.

When we started, we decided to drop the video due to several reasons, hair, make-up, shaving...etc. (kidding).

But honestly, the audio only podcast gives you many options to fix the sound, edit out some boring parts and remove some of my stumbling. If we do the video it is what it is, because it's "live". My messed intro is there, every crack is there and so on...

BUT...having the video from all episodes but one (Derek T) we are considering to accept these flaws and to also offer the videos on the channel, because we see that sometimes it really adds something to the content. Chris for example is so vividly explaining (and showing) what happened in 1977 that we felt this must be available on video.

We did not come to a final solution yet, but we understand that a video might add something.

Best
                          Nils

Available here:
                          Youtube
                          Apple Podcast
                          Amazon Music
                          Spotify
                          Deezer
                          Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny12 View Post

Funny you ask....because we are discussing it right now.

When we started, we decided to drop the video due to several reasons, hair, make-up, shaving...etc. (kidding).

But honestly, the audio only podcast gives you many options to fix the sound, edit out some boring parts and remove some of my stumbling. If we do the video it is what it is, because it's "live". My messed intro is there, every crack is there and so on...

BUT...having the video from all episodes but one (Derek T) we are considering to accept these flaws and to also offer the videos on the channel, because we see that sometimes it really adds something to the content. Chris for example is so vividly explaining (and showing) what happened in 1977 that we felt this must be available on video.

We did not come to a final solution yet, but we understand that a video might add something.

Best
                            Nils

Perfectly reasonable explanations Nils. I was mostly just curious but I do enjoy watching videos, warts and all, but that's me lol. I'm just glad you guys are able to do this, I think it's really valuable to us superfans 🤑

Comment

Working...
                            X