No announcement yet.

Miles Copeland III tells a cool little story about David Gilmour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And honestly if I look at post-PF solo work, I do believe that NMSOS is my favorite... such an amazing band!
    Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
      And honestly if I look at post-PF solo work, I do believe that NMSOS is my favorite... such an amazing band!
      Indeed and I think we have been spoilt rotten really with the amount of solo live shows activity since 1994. For one thing (which may be pretty unique?) we’ve been able to see each of the four of them playing live after PF came to an end, and to a large extent, performing mainly Floyd material. My friend never got to see the classic or post '87 line-up live but can now feel a lot happier in having seen each of them individually (Rick with David of course).

Looking at the tour stats since 2005's Live 8 to date, there has only been two years where one of them was not touring (2009 & 2014 and another couple of pandemic years). We are fortunate that they were keen and able to carry on touring and that, quite unbelievably, Nick joined the ranks and completed the classic line-up solo tour club and played such a killer trump card. And we’re not finished yet...​
      Last edited by Journey Man; 03-02-2023, 03:55 PM.

Comment

In the 70 to 72 period Rick was definitely the best player on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldsman View Post
          In the 70 to 72 period Rick was definitely the best player on stage.
          Quite possibly. But this is a good lead in to something that's been at the back of my mind reading this thread, and I expect it won't be a popular opinion. So note that the original anecdote refers to Roger and David after the early shows. So, let's assume that's 1968, maybe 1969 at a pinch. What was Rick's playing like on those early songs? While I like it and it has its charms, I do sometimes think his early style of playing was lots of fiddly, maybe even over-elaborate noodling up and down scales. It's not unreasonable to think that his style evolved into something more sophisticated, and one where his famous jazzy influences and music theory could come into play. Say from about 1970 onwards. But that noodling early style could have been the target of David's and Roger's criticism back in those early early days. Maybe.

Comment

Yeah but the point even stands more the earlier you go he was the only real musician at that point. He was classical trained and definitely capable with his instrument and voice. I think that story is very telling at what point in time it was.

1987 was when he just came back into the fold so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post
              Quite possibly. But this is a good lead in to something that's been at the back of my mind reading this thread, and I expect it won't be a popular opinion. So note that the original anecdote refers to Roger and David after the early shows. So, let's assume that's 1968, maybe 1969 at a pinch. What was Rick's playing like on those early songs? While I like it and it has its charms, I do sometimes think his early style of playing was lots of fiddly, maybe even over-elaborate noodling up and down scales.
              Didn't the others mock him by claiming he had only one lick and calling it "Rick's Turkish Delight"?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post
                Didn't the others mock him by claiming he had only one lick and calling it "Rick's Turkish Delight"?
                Heh. I hadn't heard that one. Maybe the distinction being made back then was who was better at improvising vs who was better at composing?

Comment

Than you for this quote. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by mulle View Post
                    I guess at the time David wasn´t full of positive band memories.
                    And was rather full on coke. By the way, Happy Birthday, David.

Comment

nick is one of my favorite drummers... his musical sense is very great, i feel he is a very underrated drummer

Comment

Originally posted by Jose_Floydian View Post
                        nick is one of my favorite drummers... his musical sense is very great, i feel he is a very underrated drummer
                        very well said! Totally agree!

and I also had that Nick has a beautiful touch which makes music in itself.

Comment

Worlds collide! these two are some of my favorite bands ever. It's so interesting to know David liked The Police, but then again he's always liked many other awesome bands from his generation.

Fun fact: Nick Mason played with Andy Summers (Police guitarist) in 1974, long before his days with the band. With them also was Robert Wyatt, Fred Frith, Dave Macrae and Richard Sinclair. You can see them perform "I'm A Believer" here:

Thanks for the story!

https://youtu.be/rhaG79zODXE

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
                            Nick not being the greatest drummer early on, I can understand but Rick not being up to par? I'm assuming he was more jazz orientated early on and that's not what they wanted.
                            Rick didn't gave that much grounding in jazz. Listen to his piano soloing in San Tropez and he is, at best, fumbling his way along. He might have listened to jazz but he didn't study it in depth.

Nick might have been a bigger issue. His playing on Astronomy Domine on Ummagumma is essentially one long fill played over a 4/4 pattern blasted from both kick drums simultaneously. It's like a guy watched Ginger Baker and decided to have a go.

Comment

Working...
                            X