Miles Copeland III tells a cool little story about David Gilmour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miles Copeland III tells a cool little story about David Gilmour

At the moment I am reading Miles Copelands super entertaining autobiography from 2021 "Two Steps Forward, One Step Back", and chapter 18 starts with this cool little story about Dave:

"In December of 1987, I was invited by a promoter to see Pink Floyd at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles. It was the typical Pink Floyd spectacle to a sold-out crowd of twenty thousand. After the show, I went armed with my backstage pass to the dressing room area and ended up talking to Dave Gilmour, the band’s guitarist and leader. As people began to leave, I suggested that a group of us come back my house in Hollywood, and, to my surprise, Dave wanted to come along. We continued our conversation at the house, and it turned out Dave was very interested in the story of The Police and why they ‘broke up.’ He was thinking The Police would someday re-form, and he told me of his experiences with Pink Floyd.

According to Dave, he and Roger Waters used to leave all the early Floyd shows complaining that the band’s drummer, Nick Mason, and keyboardist, Rick Wright, were, in their view, below par. When the band broke up in 1981, Dave launched his solo career with a fine set of musicians he was proud of. He built up to selling out the Hammersmith Odeon in London to some three thousand people—obviously not the Floyd’s huge numbers, but very respectable numbers nonetheless. Then his manager suggested that since Nick Mason was in town, the fans might really go wild if he was invited to play with Dave at the end of the set. Dave’s heart sank at the thought, but he agreed. When the time came, he introduced Nick, and the fans loved it. Nick sat on the drums and the final song started. Then a funny thing happened.

‘It was like putting on an old comfortable shoe that fit perfectly,’ he said. Dave realized at that moment that what the Floyd had was not about the individual musicianship—it was something that they had together that just worked. His point to me was that as good as Sting was, and as good as his current musicians were, he felt Sting would one day realize what he had in The Police.

I will always remember that moment of wisdom from Dave Gilmour.​"

Thought I'd share this with you all.

PS - I'm so happy that we can seamlessly keep on discussing here.
    Just another quick thanks from me to Nils and everybody else who helped with this amazingly fast transition!!

Nick not being the greatest drummer early on, I can understand but Rick not being up to par? I'm assuming he was more jazz orientated early on and that's not what they wanted.
    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

They also complained (or at least Rog did) that Rick lost interest after Dark Side and wasn't pulling his weight, preferring to be on his boat than contribute. Anyway he wasn't a member of the band by 1981.​

Comment

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Nice to read anecdotes like this.

Comment

“he and Roger Waters used to leave all the early Floyd shows complaining that the band’s drummer, Nick Mason, and keyboardist, Rick Wright, were, in their view, below par.​”

Waters wasn’t exactly a virtuoso himself. ‘Effective’ is how I’d describe his playing.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by surfling View Post
              According to Dave, he and Roger Waters used to leave all the early Floyd shows complaining that the band’s drummer, Nick Mason, and keyboardist, Rick Wright, were, in their view, below par.
              Umm…when has Roger ever been a great bass player? He definitely had an interesting style in the old days but in terms of skill nothing special.

Comment

Originally posted by Simond View Post
                “he and Roger Waters used to leave all the early Floyd shows complaining that the band’s drummer, Nick Mason, and keyboardist, Rick Wright, were, in their view, below par.​”

Waters wasn’t exactly a virtuoso himself. ‘Effective’ is how I’d describe his playing.
                Or some would say 'adequate'. But whatever level of musicianship is attributed to each of them, it comes down to the 'sum of the parts' again; take Rick out and ship in a Wakeman or an Emerson and....etc, no thanks.
                Last edited by Journey Man; 03-01-2023, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Great anecdote, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Simond View Post

Agree!

For example, Guy Pratt as a bass player (meaning ability and technique on the instrument) is a monster compared to Roger... BUT, if you want to hear the true Floyd feel, touch and groove, the bass must be played by Roger, period... Roger as a bass player is as unreplaceable for the true Pink Floyd sound just as any of the other 3 are unreplaceable on their own instruments.
                    I immediately realized this after listening to the Gilmour-era PF for years and then, abruptly, at Live8 in year 2005, with Roger on bass, all the old magic was there again.

In the end, I do definitely prefer Guy Pratt when he played with the Icehouse... it simply fits better than on PF.
                    Last edited by vince666; 03-01-2023, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Great story! thanks!!!

Comment

Regarding Roger as "effective" or "adequate": funnily enough I was listening to Prof Stoned's BBC recordings release the other day, and thought that by the time of those big two Paris Theatre sessions, Roger's bass playing was actually rather interesting, with a good feel and lots of nice little pauses and variations. Without (re)starting a holy war, I'm not a fan of his later work but without being a super flashy player, he was pretty good there for a while. Perhaps he just lost the groove once he became more serious / focussed on the lyrics and concepts.

And I remember a discussion way back at Yeeshkul about Nick's shortcomings as a drummer, and again there I (amongst others) were of the view that a more flashy and technical drummer would just not have fit. It's not solely about virtuosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post
                          Regarding Roger as "effective" or "adequate": funnily enough I was listening to Prof Stoned's BBC recordings release the other day, and thought that by the time of those big two Paris Theatre sessions, Roger's bass playing was actually rather interesting, with a good feel and lots of nice little pauses and variations. Without (re)starting a holy war, I'm not a fan of his later work but without being a super flashy player, he was pretty good there for a while. Perhaps he just lost the groove once he became more serious / focussed on the lyrics and concepts.

And I remember a discussion way back at Yeeshkul about Nick's shortcomings as a drummer, and again there I (amongst others) were of the view that a more flashy and technical drummer would just not have fit. It's not solely about virtuosity.
                          I'll take someone who has the "feel" over a clinical perfectionist. I love Nick's part in Echoes around the 17-18 minute mark where he's hitting the cymbal. You can tell quite clearly that he's not hitting it in the same spot each time, he's all over the place. Whether on purpose or just grooving along, it makes it interesting.
                          What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                          PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                          Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                          Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                          Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

I guess at the time David wasn´t full of positive band memories.

Comment

thinking that another drummer can be better than Nick in the Floyds is just the same as thinking that another drummer is better than Ringo in the Beatles.... no way!

both Nick and Ringo have a so unique and recognizable style that nobody can replace them in their respective bands.

and the very same is true for Bill Ward in the Black Sabbath or David Glass in the Christian Death, John Bonham in the Zeppelin, Ian Paice in the Deep Purple or Charlie Watts in the Stones.

I do definitely prefer drummers with their unique style and touch which are recognizable and, as such, can fit in their band like nobody else.
                              Never been a fan of virtuoso players, I tend to find them boring and pointless regarding music...
                              Music is just a matter of feeling for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X