SUNDAY SHOWDOWN: Home vs Yet Another Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUNDAY SHOWDOWN: Home vs Yet Another Movie

ALRIGHT, FLOYD AFICIONADOS!!! ARE YOU READY FOR ANOTHER SUNDAY SHOWDOWN?!?! This week's bout features dueling compositions from competing eighties albums, and let me tell ya, folks, they don't get much more eighties than these two. In this corner...Roger's ode to all things domestic...HOME!!! And in the opposing corner...yet another variation on a theme of absence...YET ANOTHER MOVIE!!! Which paean is more pink? YOUR VOTE DECIDES, SO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!!!

vs

Yet Another Movie
    56.67%
    Home
    43.33%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by stonytokes; 10-07-2024, 03:05 AM.
    And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Without any doubt : Yet Another Movie

Comment

• stonytokes
      stonytokes commented
      Editing a comment
      At the current moment, it appears that YAM may be the likely winner. Tough choice, I love 'em both.

Another tough one for me, but I actually can prefer one this time (last Sunday was a "neither" from me). I voted for Home despite generally disliking Roger's solo work. I think the truth of the matter is really that I tuned out of Floyd and Floyd side projects after The Wall. So, even though when re-listening just now to Yet Another Move I really liked the atmospherics of the intro, the fact of the matter is that, out of the two songs on offer today, from the titles alone I could only remember the tune for one of them: Home. It's actually the only track I'm interested in on Radio KAOS, and even Roger's vaguely out-of-breath vocals of this era don't spoil this one for me. So while I like listening to Yet Another Movie this evening, I think the fact that I can never find it memorable has to be a strike against it. For me and my tastes only, of course.

Comment

• stonytokes
      stonytokes commented
      Editing a comment
      I find them both to be eminently memorable, both musically and lyrically, but may well give the nod to Rog this week. Home has always had a special place in my heart. I really enjoy the melody of the vocal line, and the urgency and passion with which Rog sings it.

Yet Another Movie is an underrated gem from AMLOR. Its very dark and atmospheric play Welcome To Machine and YAM back to back and the eerie tone of both songs compliment each other really well.

Comment

• stonytokes
      stonytokes commented
      Editing a comment
      Best song on AMLOR AFAIC. YMMV.

Sole has no EYEs.
    And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

Home is the better song, but far more ruined by the production. Both are the best songs on their respective albums - YAM secretly so. So I voted for YAM.

Roger remarked in a few interviews way back when that he was especially proud of Home and considered it one of his best songs, so it's been pretty disappointing he hasn't revisited it since 1987. A Lockdown Sessions arrangement of it would have been beautiful.

Comment

• stonytokes
        stonytokes commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn't agree more. Definitely the best songs on their respective albums, IMO. A tough choice again this week.

I'm definitely in the minority in this opinion, but I dig the production on both of these albums. They're definitely of their time, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing.
    Working...
    X