X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Cormack's new Pink Floyd book...

EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN:
    THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO PINK FLOYD
    by Mike Cormack (2024) just arrived at my home (Oregon, USA) from Amazon (UK) today.
    Anyone else pre-order it??

A quick flip through and I'm so UNDER impressed!!
    ​​​​​Just going by the title, I was hoping it would cover all known Pink Floyd songs, not just stick to what's on regular studio albums and singles.
    At £25, I'd at least expect it to have an index!!
    There's no pictures (except cover), catalog numbers, solo projects, pre 1967, etc...

At first glance the only positives it has going for it are the short interviews with Guy Pratt, James Guthrie, and Steve Mac. And a bootleg section.

I now wish I would have waited... And saved some money.

The original Brain Damage announcement is here:
    https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/lates...e-to-pink.html

I agree with your disappointment. Had it in a cart/wishlist for a while then luckily saw it available in ebook form from my public library app. Checked it out and scanned through for a night or two, mostly reviewing the boots list. In the end decided I didn't want to buy it and was glad I had saved my money.
    Roger Waters
    - Las Vegas MGM Grand 2010-11-26
    - Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena 2017-06-16
    - Salt Lake City Vivint Arena 2022-09-08

David Gilmour
    - Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl 2016-03-25

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
    - Denver Paramount Theatre 2022-10-20​

Comment

Originally posted by GhastlyFloyd View Post
      EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO PINK FLOYD
      Wake me up when there's one of these books that doesn't have "THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO PINK FLOYD" in the title...
      - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Just canceled my order. Thanks guys

Comment

Is the bootleg section any good? What's the format and content, for example?

Comment

Originally posted by edbroll View Post
            Is the bootleg section any good? What's the format and content, for example?
            They are listed by date. No details I could find on which recorders or transfers were reviewed, or for example if a matrix was used. Again, only by date so don't expect any well recognized original boot names.
            Each date entry formatted as:

Date: DD-MM-YYYY
            Location: sometimes venue named, city, state/area/province, country
            Track Listing:
            Audio Rating: I think this is on a 5 point scale??? 1970-04-29 at Fillmore West, as an example gets 4.5 stars. It seems to be an audio quality rating. Again, would be helpful to know which transfer or version of the dates were used in the review. I say I think it's on a 5 point scale, but I also saw multiple instances of shows above a 5 stars, but then in the "miscellaneous" notes section talk about known faults on the recorder.
            Miscellaneous: notes about date, show or recording, such as if there are songs in the set missing or cut. This notes are usually a sentence or two, not very detailed.

Note that because the audio rating portion of each review seems to reflect the author's opinion of the audio quality only, there isn't much room or opportunity to account for the historical importance or quality of playing by the band. Birmingham Town Hall in 1970, for example only gets a 2 star audio rating. Later dates reviewed from the tours supporting AMLOR and DB more likely to have higher audio ratings.
            ​​​​​​
            Roger Waters
            - Las Vegas MGM Grand 2010-11-26
            - Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena 2017-06-16
            - Salt Lake City Vivint Arena 2022-09-08

David Gilmour
            - Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl 2016-03-25

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
            - Denver Paramount Theatre 2022-10-20​

Comment

EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN:
              THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO PINK FLOYD
              by Mike Cormack (2024) just arrived at my home (Oregon, USA) from Amazon (UK) today.
              Anyone else pre-order it??

A quick flip through and I'm so UNDER impressed!!
              ​​​​​Just going by the title, I was hoping it would cover all known Pink Floyd songs, not just stick to what's on regular studio albums and singles.
              At £25, I'd at least expect it to have an index!!
              There's no pictures (except cover), catalog numbers, solo projects, pre 1967, etc...

At first glance the only positives it has going for it are the short interviews with Guy Pratt, James Guthrie, and Steve Mac. And a bootleg section.

I now wish I would have waited... And saved some money.

The original Brain Damage announcement is here:
              https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/lates...e-to-pink.html
              So what you want is the complete guide to non-Pink floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by Floydie-BCK View Post

So what you want is the complete guide to non-Pink floyd?
                I want what the title promises... "EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN." In other words: I want a complete comprehensive guide to all known Pink Floyd studio and live recordings covering 1965 to 2022. And yes... It would also be nice if it included solo recordings.

What do you want/need from a book that claims to be a complete guide??

I'd also like a complete UK visual discography book... One that shows all of the artwork (front, back, & inside covers... inner sleeves and record labels, etc.)!!​

Comment

AFG's own Natalie Lyons reviewed Mike's book, which you can read here: https://www.pinkfloydz.com/all-that-...natalie-lyons/

Comment

just arrived at my home (Oregon, USA)
                    Hello to a fellow Oregonian on this board! I'm in the SE Portland area.
                    Formerly known as jchrist1946 on Yeeshkul.

Comment

• RarePinkFloyd
                      RarePinkFloyd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh great! I have a house at Arch Cape ))

The US release of this has been delayed to February 4, 2025. I wonder if changes that address the complaints are coming.

Does anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                    X