Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pink Floyd -- The Wall -- Is There Anybody Out There? / Nobody Home (with original TV/film clips)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Floyd -- The Wall -- Is There Anybody Out There? / Nobody Home (with original TV/film clips)

Stumbled across this and thought it was superbly done. I have to admit that after all these years, I thought the "Surprise Surprise Surprise" line was always a womans voice. I don't think I'll ever be the same after seeing it like this lol.

Last edited by buffalofloyd; 08-15-2024, 02:51 AM.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    Stumbled across this and thought it was superbly done. I have to admit that after all these years, I though "Surprise Surprise Surprise" was always a womans voice. I don't think I'll ever be the same after seeing it like this lol.
    EYE grew up watching Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. so I've known that voice was Jim Nabors since EYE was a young child. When he wasn't affecting a backwoods accent, he could also sing like a bird. EYE remember his album being one you could purchase by mail that was advertised on TV when EYE was a kid.

Last edited by stonytokes; 08-15-2024, 03:20 AM.
    And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

Same said Gomer Pyle is also the namesake/nickname for Vincent D'Onofrio's character Leonard Lawrence in Full Metal Jacket who is repeatedly belittled and berated by R. Lee Ermey's DI character for those looking for another Pink Floyd/Stanley Kubrick connection.

Comment

But EYE will admit...EYE didn't know until tonight that the name of the episode from whence the "Surprise, surprise, surprise!" clip comes is "The Show Must Go On" if Wikipedia is to be believed. Strange that, eh?

The info on the video you posted says otherwise, though, and references a different episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Nabors

Last edited by stonytokes; 08-15-2024, 03:58 AM.

Comment

To make another connection, if the last audio we hear in Nobody Home is audio from The Battle of Britain as the video you posted states it is, it's surely no coincidence that it's juxtaposed with Vera, Roger's tribute to England's Forces Sweetheart, who sang The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot, a song with which I'm sure a young Roger Waters could relate. "I'm so sorry for that laddie, he hasn't got a Daddy..."
          Last edited by stonytokes; 08-15-2024, 05:20 AM.

Comment

EYE looked up the Gunsmoke episode on imdb.com as well, and here's a description of the episode:

S12.E21 ∙ Fandango
            Sat, Feb 11, 1967
            While trying to bring in a prisoner on foot, Marshal Dillon is forced to match wits with a ruthless SHEEP magnate and his many armed men. His search for horses leads him to a most unlikely ally and ultimately an inevitable showdown.

And if you really want to stretch things really thin, one might suggest that this is a sort of pivot with Pros and Cons, considering that both The Wall and P&C were developed at pretty much the same time, and that both feature dialog snippets from either a ubiquitous American Western TV show or one of the greatest Western films of all time: Shane.

Comment

Adding onto this thread, the infamous Big Bird audio has recently been identified. Thanks to Nuff for throwing this clip together.

Comment

I can quote The Wall from start to finish, no problem. I've been watching the Indy 500 for as long as I can remember, and I had no idea that Jim Nabors, the guy who always sang 'Back Home Again in Indiana', was also the one yelling 'Surprise, surprise, surprise!'. Who knew? It's a small world after all.

https://youtu.be/7wcgaRkHAWY?si=-vJRDI6AW6eit10w​

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Eggs View Post
                  I can quote The Wall from start to finish, no problem. I've been watching the Indy 500 for as long as I can remember, and I had no idea that Jim Nabors, the guy who always sang 'Back Home Again in Indiana', was also the one yelling 'Surprise, surprise, surprise!'. Who knew? It's a small world after all.

https://youtu.be/7wcgaRkHAWY?si=-vJRDI6AW6eit10w​
                  When The Wall was first released, pretty much everyone in the US knew who that was.

Comment

Another one ID'd, go to 0:25

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                      When The Wall was first released, pretty much everyone in the US knew who that was.

Of course you knew him, in Europe I don't think anyone knows him. The funny thing is that I've been watching the Indy 500 for many years and I was surprised that JN was also on one of my favorite records...

Comment

Working...
                      X