POLL: Dark and Velvet Nights vs the infamous Blue Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Dark and Velvet Nights vs the infamous Blue Light

Let's have some Sunday morning fun. Let's pit Dave's new single/video against the historically much vilified Blue Light. Vote for your preference.

vs

Dark and Velvet Nights
    30.56%
    Blue Light
    69.44%

The poll is expired.

And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Bluuuuuuuu

Comment

I appreciate the chuckle.

Blue Light at least has some entertainment value.

Comment

Blue Light sounds like an '80s fever dream. I admire David for being another '70s prog slugger who had to get commercial to keep paying the bills.

The new Gilmour stuff sounds slightly cheaply and generically mixed to my ears. Just nothing there to come back and explore in a bid to find subtle details. It sounds like a successful local cover band/wedding band went into a local studio and paid £2000 to record and master ten original tracks. The black and white videos are getting formulaic as well.

Comment

No comparison.

Comment

Wow, what can I say?
            First 10 seconds sounds like the intro to something Oasis could have released around 1994, and made me wonder if Gilmour was trying to be commercial again, but came 30 years too late, not realizing that the britpop wave is over?
            But it got worse from there. From there on it sounds like an amateur hobby band trying to rehearse something on a nach after being out drinking for hours in a row. It sounds like the whole band is falling apart.
            The lyrics sort of confirm those suspicions, as pretty much the only line that makes any sense mentions "after a night of hard drinking and ecstasy"; I guess he's describing the condition he and the band were in when they recorded this track?

As a whole I found the entire song to be very easily forgettable. If it wasn't for Gilmour's voice, I would have guessed this was a hobby band's first self-written song. With this marketed as a single, I don't think there's much to be expected from his next album as a whole.

And yeah, Blue Light is definitely the better of the two. It wasn't a good song but at least it could provide some fun on the dance floor. The same cannot be said of his most recent single.

Comment

I actually listened to Blue Light last night for the first time in about 5 years. It was the live version on Pete Townshend's Deep End. You know what, it was great! Even the mad drum/horn section that went on for ages was fun. It made me laugh. That'll do for me

Comment

I'm taken the Dark and Velvet Nights. The more I listen to the new material, I'm catching hints of Obscured by Clouds. They way he sings Velvet Nights reminds me of Childhood Ends.

Comment

Originally posted by y!me
                  Actually has a coherent beginning, middle and proper resolution.
                  Good point. For all of Blue Light’s 80s cringe it is a well
                  constructed song. These 3 new songs just seem to plod along with no real hook on the chorus or the lyrics.

In the video for Dark and Velvet you see David sip some
                  coffee. That sums it up. You need caffeine to get through his new songs.

Comment

Sometimes when the inspiration strikes EYE can get down with the best of them...

Comment

Originally posted by stonytokes View Post
                      EYE
                      -Billy Gnosis

Comment

Dark and Velvet Nights appeared to be making a comeback for a while, but Blue Light has come back strong recently. Which song will reign supreme and take the title? You decide.

I'll admit that while EYE voted for Blue Light, I'm actually enjoying the new one. Steve Gadd does a hell of a Nick Mason on this. Pretty much nails his style, so if Nick wants to come in and replace the parts later it'll be easy as pie...without crust, of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X