Dark And Velvet Nights (Official Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark And Velvet Nights (Official Video)

This just turned up in my YT feed. Posted just 4 hrs ago....

And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Pretty cool, thanks for link!
      Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

My 2 cents:

I listened to the song and I know the problem. I am rarely overly critical, but it does feel rather weak and now late career formulaic style. The trouble is that it’s not a song, but is desperately trying to be one…it is pieces trying to be stitched together with no discernible melody and is jarring. I have no issue with PS lyrics or her influence, but it’s normally off the base of a DG guide/scat vocal melody demo song.

The lyrics are quite chock full and he’s struggling to fit them all in - the drums are unexpectedly plodding considering it’s Steve Gadd, which doesn’t help - the elephant in the room is that he doesn’t just need a new producer, like (nearly) all famous artists have a songwriting team to form a *song*, and is no longer a taboo in music. This is flown in poetry, then reverse engineered session musician created music which is quite weak - feels quite Take A Breath - and then a DG solo.​ I genuinely liked The Pipers Call for context as a stronger composition in all aspects.
        Last edited by PFC67; 08-10-2024, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• stonytokes
          stonytokes commented
          Editing a comment
          I found it pretty interesting that the drummer who played the outro solo on Aja and Paul Simon drum figures that made me want to be a drummer was sitting there just chopping wood.

I quite like it..you have to remember, these guys ain’t getting any younger…anything that Dave, Roger and Nick do, even if it doesn’t please some people, once they’re gone… that’s it. I’m grateful of anything new they put out.

Comment

• PFC67
          PFC67 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good points made but I respectfully disagree - look at Peter Gabriel’s latest i/o, I’m not necessarily a huge fan but I think it’s a late career masterpiece in every aspect: songwriting, lyrics, emotion, musicianship, recording and production.

I like this much more than Piper's which is the same slow dirge that he's been putting out for decades. There's a decent (somewhat) up-tempo beat however I think that they could have done without the orchestra, especially in the last part of the song. I think a more sparse arrangement would have fit the song much better. Overall I can see what PFC67 commented, it does seem like many different ideas stitched together much like the video - now he's playing the Tele, then 335, then the Ric frying pan, now he's air drumming, etc.

And then there's the "favorite" lyric phrase "...than words." Dave - please, please, please stop using that in lyrics. More than words, louder than words, everything "than words".
        What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
        PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
        Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
        Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
        Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by bunga33 View Post
          I’m grateful of anything new they put out.
          I’ve shared this same sentiment multiple times on this forum before, but this song baffles me. It comes across (to me) as an amalgamation of most negative aspects of David’s career, it’s amazing how uncomfortable of a listen that was considering the massive talent behind the track. It’s reminiscent of a preloaded MIDI track you’d find on a cheap keyboard to play along with.

I’m not trying to be overly dramatic here, I genuinely feel like this song is a dud, and while I try to stay optimistic for the unheard I can’t say now that I’m all that excited for what’s to come.

Was Phil involved with any of the arrangement for this album? The original singles that have come out feel a bit more disjointed from what I would expect.

Comment

I like it more with each listen.

Comment

• stonytokes
              stonytokes commented
              Editing a comment
              I have to agree. Best single he's released since On An Island, IMO.

I like first two songs. The third one is Gilmour trying not to be Gilmour. It didn't work well this time.

Comment

Working...
            X