Phil Manzanera / 50 Years of Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil Manzanera / 50 Years of Music

The last disc in this collection is a bonus disc of rarities, called Rare Two (it’s a follow-up to 2000’s Rare One). This features demos, live tracks and rarities, including PM 1 which is an early version of Pink Floyd’s One Slip (from 1987’s A Momentary Lapse of Reason) that Phil wrote with David Gilmour.​

Demo PM 1 (One Slip) Pink Floyd (Previously Unreleased)

long awaited !!!

Comment

Good news indeed. I pretty much love Manzanera.
      Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
        Good news indeed. I pretty much love Manzanera.
        I do too! Anybody who does as well is invited to listen to "Mainstream" by Quiet Sun, with a track bizarrely titled, "Mummy was an Asteroid, Daddy was a Small Non-stick Kitchen Utensil", in which Manzanera plays what I consider to be one of the most beautiful solos of all time.

Comment

The Quiet Sun album is in my all time favourites list, together with Phil's solo albums "K-Scope" and "Diamond Head".
          I recommended his autobiography in another thread, but will do it again here. Highly entertaining reading, the man had quite an interesting life, including meeting Dave Gilmour when he had just joined Pink Floyd.

Comment

well - to tour twice with the author of one of the biggest hits of his period in Pink Floyd and never - not even as an encore - to play that hit - that's all you need to know about the ambitions and motivations of David Gilmour

Comment

Can’t wait to read Jon’s Facebook post about how he programmed the triangle part!

Comment

Originally posted by Emdy View Post
                Can’t wait to read Jon’s Facebook post about how he programmed the triangle part!
                If it is legal (as shown by the recent corrections in credits) it is fine to do so and will enrich the knowledge about the group's internal processes. A truth, even if it irritates some people, will always be welcome.

Comment

I was always impressed with how DG called him Magnifico during the 2016 tour. I am not otherwise familiar with any of his work.

Comment

Originally posted by Emdy View Post
                    this had me rofl as we would use to say in the olden days...

Comment

Originally posted by sb33334 View Post
                      I was always impressed with how DG called him Magnifico during the 2016 tour. I am not otherwise familiar with any of his work.
                      To get familiar with the man, this Rockonteurs episode podcast is a great staring point, you get some very interesting insights on who he is and where his talent comes from. It certainly sheds a light on why other musicians respect him so much. After that you can start listening to any of his works, and enjoy the musical journey.

Comment

• sb33334
                        sb33334 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, I will have to check it out.
                    Working...
                    X