Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Between The Points" : what is the guitar effect/pedal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Between The Points" : what is the guitar effect/pedal ?

Hi folks,

Sorry this has probably been discussed before, but I think that the main thread has been unfortunately closed and I'm really intrigued by the sound/pedal effect David Gilmour is using for the first half of his magnificent guitar solo (which reminds me "Marooned" (I don't think that he used a whammy this time) on "Between The Points." I like the production of this song : warm and cavernous at the same time, Romany has a beautiful voice (this reminds me a long time ago when she was too shy to sing "Hey Jude" (but better than Linda's harmonies at Knebworth ;-) near the fire.
    I'd even dare to say that it reminds me a bit of Suzanne Vega.

This is a totally different tune to the previous song (The Piper's Call) which sounded like 1972 and the "The Gold It's in the…" guitar solo (one of my favorite by the way) from the La Vallée/Obscured By Cloud album.​

Good question! I've given it a few good listens and I'm struggling to figure it out. It sort of sounds like a fast Univibe or Lesley, but the effect is blended so far back into the guitar tone that I cant really detect the speed the effect is running at, or if it is that sort of modulation effect at all. There is something sort of fluttering and acting texture to the tone. For David it is a reasonably dry lead guitar tone!

Comment

Is Kit Rae around ? He probably already found out and perhaps he is doing a cover of this solo (which I'd be curious to hear ;-)

it's the first time that I hear this effect used by David Gilmour (perhaps he used the same effect, but he never pushed it that far) - whatever I really like this guitar tone.

Comment

My buddy Davide knows, he just has to test it out when he has the time! He will write up a paragraph for me to share here when he gets the chance.
        - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Part of the sound may be his Yamaha rotating speaker? you can see it mic’d up in the background of the music video whilst he’s playing

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat View Post
            Part of the sound may be his Yamaha rotating speaker? you can see it mic’d up in the background of the music video whilst he’s playing
            It could be. If distance mic'd, so that you don't hear too much of a beat or pulse from it as the horns pass the microphone.

I think there could also be a small tweed amp in the mix as they add gnarly harmonic overtones when cranked, and there is something like that in the guitar tone.

Comment

It sounds like the RA-200 blended with another amp to me, which is typical. Or it could be a blend of the RA-200 rotating speakers and the fixed speaker in the lower cab. He has both mic'd in the studio.

David has several other modulation effects in the studio - Electric Mistress, Boss CE-2, a Leslie, et cetera - but I isolated this solo and I'm pretty sure I'm hearing the RA-200 rotating speakers on the very last note.
              www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
              http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kit Rae View Post
                It sounds like the RA-200 blended with another amp to me, which is typical. Or it could be a blend of the RA-200 rotating speakers and the fixed speaker in the lower cab. He has both mic'd in the studio.

David has several other modulation effects in the studio - Electric Mistress, Boss CE-2, a Leslie, et cetera - but I isolated this solo and I'm pretty sure I'm hearing the RA-200 rotating speakers on the very last note.
                thanks for all this technical explanation you guys; I have the feeling that David keeps this effect but attenuates it on the second half of the solo, until the effect almost totally... fade away.... and radiate...
                Last edited by Rupert Pupkin; 07-14-2024, 05:35 AM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNxnpDTw16k

Nice guitar solo (when this track - which we can hear near the end of this short video - will be released ?) - before the album like the 2 other songs ? Apparently David Gilmour listened to Frank Zappa's "Sexual Harassment on the Workplace" and the moustachu probably listened to "Dogs".

Comment

• stonytokes
                    stonytokes commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're right! That backing vamp sounds almost exactly like SHitW, a huge fav of mine. Anyone know what the name of this tune is?

I thought that this could be the solo for the title track, but it sounds more like an instrumental too me (after all David Gilmour added instrumental tracks on all his past 3 solos albums; so why not on this one ?); it's like the other featurette just posted on youtube where David shows his "violin"/reverb effect; sounds like a beautiful intro or instrumental with piano. That's why, I would like to get the Blu-Ray to see David Gilmour in sessions; I hope that everything will be there on the blu-ray because it's a pleasure to see him playing guitar and recording it.
                  I remember that JM even added Sexual Harassment in the Workplace as a bonus track of the Pink Floyd - Tree Full Of Secret in the 90's; I don't remember exactly his story but he heard Zappa's guitar solo in a record shop and thought that Zappa was doing an instrumental cover of "Dogs". Well even if I replied to him that it was just a "blues" progression, here, the backing band (keyboard, etc...) almost sound like "Sexual Harassment in The Workplace".

Comment

Working...
                  X