Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brian Ferry (Live Aid 1985) with David Gillmour released officially ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian Ferry (Live Aid 1985) with David Gillmour released officially ?

Hi folks,

I would like to know if Brian Ferry set at the live Aid 1985 has been officially released in audio (or on DVD - in that case I could extract the audio track) or if this is - yet - only available as RoIO such as the Cochon Production set.

If I can "find" some HDTracks set : separate release for Queen, or Madonna; the complete HDTracks set does not have the Brian Ferry set.
    He played "Slave To Love" and "Jealous Guy" and both songs feature David Gilmour on guitar; he did the guitar solo on "Slave To Love" and "Jealous Guy" (David Gilmour also plays on the studio version of Brian's solo album; but here in live, David's involvement in Brian's songs can be here way better).

I really would like to hear these songs in great sound quality; wonder if there is at this point an official release or if the official set of Live Aid 1985 is still incomplete.

Thanks in advance for your help​

In fact, David played on 4 songs at the Live Aid show... Slave to Love, Jealous Guy, Boys and Girls and Sensation. There is a box set from the event, but only with the first two songs:
    https://www.discogs.com/release/2077...rious-Live-Aid

Another thing... I believe it's not David Gilmour playing the solo on Slave to Love! Slave to Love is on the Boys and Girls album and David only played on the title track!​

Comment

How good is the sound quality on the two songs released officially ? - so they only appear on the DVD (2 songs only), not released on CD, that's it ?

"Slave To Love" : a believe it's David Gilmour on the Live Aid version. On the studio album he played on "Boys And Girls" and "Sensation" I think.

Comment

• goguilorenzo
        goguilorenzo commented
        Editing a comment
        For me, the sound is cool! That's it, only on DVD... I've never seen live aid on CD and I don't believe it exists...

Oh yes, live, David plays the solo, even though he had guitar problems throughout the set! On the album I'm not sure he plays on Sensation, but it could be, since the album doesn't credit who plays on each track... although it doesn't seem to be Gilmour's style, at least not in the song's solo.

These are the versions that feature on the Live Aid DVD released in 2004. The Wembley performances are mixed from multi-track, whilst the JFK sets are the broadcast audio, so you're lucky the Bryan Ferry set has had more attention. And David does play the solo on Slave To Love.

Comment

thanks; I will rip the audio track from the official DVD and will get the RoIO source for the rest of Brian Ferry set; was David Gilmour on the other songs of his set too ? Or was David only on Slave To Love and Jealous Guy on guitar ?

Comment

• Floydophile
          Floydophile commented
          Editing a comment
          Iirc, he played the entire set.

• goguilorenzo
          goguilorenzo commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the other two songs on YouTube too, from the BBC broadcast, but I couldn't find any more, I think it was removed! I have their video downloaded on my computer

Originally posted by brainysod View Post
        These are the versions that feature on the Live Aid DVD released in 2004. The Wembley performances are mixed from multi-track, whilst the JFK sets are the broadcast audio, so you're lucky the Bryan Ferry set has had more attention. And David does play the solo on Slave To Love.

You gotta love the 80's for all it's cheesiness That other guitarist is having the time of his life
        Gilmour looks cool and concentrated as always

Comment

• goguilorenzo
          goguilorenzo commented
          Editing a comment
          Chester Kamen on guitar and Jon Carin on Keyboards!!!

Oh wow, didn't realize it was Carin on keys!

Comment

• brainysod
          brainysod commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe this was how Gilmour and Carin met? AMLOR and the continuation of Pink Floyd happened because of Live Aid. Similarly, Roger wrote The Tide Is Turning inspired by Live Aid.

Originally posted by Floydfan2410 View Post
        Oh wow, didn't realize it was Carin on keys!
        The Secret Force Behind 'The Floyd'!

Comment

Originally posted by Floydophile View Post

The Secret Force Behind 'The Floyd'!
          That's right.
          I'm sure he's the one who convinced Gilmour to continue Pink Floyd and had already written and recorded demos for the next album!

Comment

I really like what Chester Kamen did during the 2002 tour of Roger (his playing on Dogs was amazing IMHO); I still remember the hangar rehearsals filmed by Hop The Pond (thanks Simon)
            The funny thing with Jealous Guy is that obviously the cameraman is lost or recognized David Gilmour and is attracted by his red Stratocaster.
            As a gentleman, David point the right direction to the cameraman showing that this is Chester doing the solo; fortunately we lost the second (very inspired guitar solo) played by Mr Gilmour.
            I'm not a fan of "Jealous Guy" by Brian Ferry. This song got quickly a cover by The Faces; and the Glasgow version is amazing (I think it was in 1973, or even earlier). They did a radically different arrangement with the piano intro, Ronnie Lane (his album with Pete Townshend is one of my favorite) on bass, and great vocals Rod Stewart.
            Basically it's just like if the Rolling Stones would have recorded "Jealous Guy" in their own "fashion"/way (and I would have loved to hear John Lennon singing "Angie").
            The Frejus live performance on the official live of Roxy Music is better.
            Brian Ferry releases 2 great albums : "Avalon" with Roxy Music and "Slave To Love" (I like this song, and who can't agree that the karaoke version of "More Than This" sung Bill Murray in Tokyo in "Lost In Translation" next to Scarlett Johansson wearing a pink wig is one of the sweetest version ?
            Gilmour's solo on "Slave To Love" here in live is great.
            He did not have some really inventive guitar effect in this era; it's just like the great solo for McCartney's "No More Lonely Nights"; but his guitar playing was amazing : fast, with ultra-pitched notes and killer vibrato.​

Comment

Working...
            X