Syd / Jack Bruce jam date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syd / Jack Bruce jam date

Most of us are probably familiar with the tale Pete Brown told many times about what may have been the last time Syd was seen onstage, jamming with Jack Bruce:

"Jack was living in Colchester and I arrived late to find him and this band jamming on stage. Jack was on string bass and up there with him was this odd-looking guitarist playing acoustic jazz stuff. It was his short hair and straight appearance that made him stand out. Later on, various poets got up to read their pieces and I dedicated mine ('Goodnight Eliza Doolittle: The Death Of Flower Power') to Syd Barrett, saying he was the guy who started it all up in England. To my surprise, this strange guitarist stood up in the audience and said: 'No I didn't.' It turned out to be him."​
    It's a weird story but not so weird as to be apocryphal. On other occasions Brown has expanded a bit - the earliest source seems to be Rick Sanders' 1975 book, where it's mentioned as taking place "about 18 months ago" (which would put it in 1973), and that the band was jamming on the old jazz standard Doodlin. When I interviewed him around 2004, he told basically the same story and I tried to press him on the venue - all he could recall was that it was some sort of public hall in Cambridge.

Any further details on the date, venue etc have proved elusive over the years - however I think I may have found something.

The Cambridge Evening News, July 18th 1972, includes the listings of that summer's Cambridge Folk Festival. Within that, there's details of an event called Stellar Motion, a day-long "programme of poetry, music and visual art". There's a listing of the poets performing, including Jeff Nuttall, Miles Burrows, Mike Horowitz... and Pete Brown.

Date was July 26, 1972, and the venue was St Andrew's Hall, St Andrew's Street, which is right in the centre of Cambridge.

So that's an earlier date than previously assumed, but everything else fits: an event at a public hall in Cambridge, featuring a line-up of various poets, including Pete Brown. Syd will certainly have been familiar with Pete Brown and Mike Horowitz from his London days, and I think it's completely plausible that in that period he would have seen the listing and decided to go along. As there were other folk musicians on the bill that day, there would certainly have been acoustic guitars in the room for someone to hand to Syd, and ditto a double bass for Bruce to play.

I've searched the Cambridge local newspaper archive and can't find any other reference to Pete Brown performing at a poetry event in Cambridge in the 1970s.

So... what do we think?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cambridge 1.png
Views:	1444
Size:	951.0 KB
ID:	369273 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cambridge 2.png
Views:	473
Size:	949.4 KB
ID:	369275
    Attached Files

Now it would be good to have some photographs of the event.

Comment

Well, some people are never satisfied! 😂

Seriously, I think it'd be highly improbable that Syd would have been snapped at this - he wasn't billed and most people evidently didn't realise he was there.

What do you think of the theory for the date/venue Neon? Seem plausible?

Comment

I've found something that pretty conclusively identifies that this was the event:

Comments from Steve Brooks (guitarist of Baby Whale, one of the bands on the bill on this date) at https://www.oocities.org/happysurfer1/ -

"When I was about 14, I auditioned as drummer for Joker's Wild and got the job but my Dad wouldn't let me join because they were all much older than me, had long hair and probally took drugs - a missed opportunity. Much later, I was good friends with Richard Wright of the Pink Floyd (near neighbours in Royston) and sat in on some of the Abbey Road sessions of Wish You Were Here. Richard offered me a job as engineer at Abey Road which I turned down because of the poor salary, another missed opportunity. Jack Bruce (of Cream) jammed on bass with Baby Whale at a gig in a church hall in St Andrew's Street Cambridge. No one could believe it was him as he was a legend at that time, however, he was so out of his head, that we had to lend him 50p to telephone his wife to come pick him up."

So the band onstage was Baby Whale, or members thereof. Plus Jack Bruce and, if Pete Brown's tale is correct, Syd somewhere in there. Interesting that Steve doesn't mention that though.

I've managed to track down Stephen Brooks and Adrian Kendon (basisst of Baby Whale) and have sent them both messages. Will report back if I hear from them...

Comment

Nice work Mark!

Comment

Thank you for your work looking into this. It might seem like trivial minutiae to some but there’s so little known about Syd’s public life after Pink Floyd that any information is quite welcome. Of course, I mean his solo performances, not interested in the hide-in-the-bushes-and-make-slow-motion-stalker-footage kinda stuff.

We know of
            -Olympia gig in June of 1970
            -the 2 radio performances
            -small handful of Stars gigs
            -this poetry reading
            ​​​​​​-the last minute put together boogie band show
            -Kevin Ayer’s recording session for “singing a song in the morning”

are there any others I am not thinking of?

Comment

Cool. Back in 67 Clapton mentioned his fondness for the band I think back that year The Floyd had an influence on Disraeli Gears maybe
              Last edited by Alan Smithee; 05-31-2024, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Just an update on this - I've been in correspondence with both Stephen Brooks and Adrian Kendon as mentioned above, but not quite got anything conclusive. They do both have clear memories of jamming with Jack Bruce, but nothing to corroborate Pete Brown's tale of Syd being there.

What seems odd to me is that Brown repeated the story for years and would have no reason to make it up. And he had known Syd, so it would seem strange for him to misidentify him.

I've got one more lead to try. Will report back when I've had chance.

Comment

Working...
                X