Fireworks During the In the Flesh Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireworks During the In the Flesh Tour

I was listening to a ROIO of one of the better-sounding In the Flesh tour shows and i couldn't help but wonder about the fireworks.

For as long as I can remember the prevailing hypothesis is that the floyd did not condone these antics but when listening to the beginning of sheep and listening to the fireworks going off during the quiet beginning, almost randomly, I couldn't help but be impressed by how they fit into the whole being "dimly aware of a certain unease in the air" style of that song and it felt like they were going off at the appropriate time, almost. (good drugs help)

does anyone know of articles or anything like that discussing the phenomenon of lighting fireworks off during that tour? has there been any investigation into who was doing it and why? i;ve read that it was a common thing during the time period and not just floyd shows, but i'm wondering just how prevalent it really was.

I was at a couple of the 1977 Animals shows and quite a few other shows that year. The fireworks were a short-lived phenomenon, thankfully, and were not timed or music-related at all. 99% of the time they were set off by some asshole because they thought it would be an amusing thing to do, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
      I was at a couple of the 1977 Animals shows and quite a few other shows that year. The fireworks were a short-lived phenomenon, thankfully, and were not timed or music-related at all. 99% of the time they were set off by some asshole because they thought it would be an amusing thing to do, nothing more.
      that's what i've heard and believed all these years. just wondering if there is anything concrete to point me toward that's actually discussing it,

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWanderer View Post

that's what i've heard and believed all these years. just wondering if there is anything concrete to point me toward that's actually discussing it,
        If you're looking for something more concrete than an eye witness account then good luck with that.

Comment

1970s concerts: Harmless recording devices not allowed. But small explosives? Sure, why not?

Comment

Very prevalent. Some say it was the beginning of Roger's inspiration to start writing The Wall. If you listen to any Floyd boot from 77 you can hear fireworks throughout the shows. It got really bad at the end of the tour in MSG and Montreal. Here are a few clips of Roger getting mad. I believe Roger played with his back to the audience in one of the shows and David walked off on or right before encore.

https://youtu.be/Hh5i_1Bi1YM https://youtu.be/oU0buWTfp4I

Articles

Last edited by embryonicmadness; 03-09-2023, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWanderer View Post
              I was listening to a ROIO of one of the better-sounding In the Flesh tour shows and i couldn't help but wonder about the fireworks.

For as long as I can remember the prevailing hypothesis is that the floyd did not condone these antics but when listening to the beginning of sheep and listening to the fireworks going off during the quiet beginning, almost randomly, I couldn't help but be impressed by how they fit into the whole being "dimly aware of a certain unease in the air" style of that song and it felt like they were going off at the appropriate time, almost. (good drugs help)

does anyone know of articles or anything like that discussing the phenomenon of lighting fireworks off during that tour? has there been any investigation into who was doing it and why? i;ve read that it was a common thing during the time period and not just floyd shows, but i'm wondering just how prevalent it really was.
              As far as we know (with the films and photographs available to the public);

The earliest pyrotechnics were added to the end of Sheep, and they were added sometime in the middle of February 1977. I think a specific date was determined by a friend of mine months, but alas I can't remember. Sometimes they would use the pyros every night, some nights they didn't (some late 77 dates didn't have it, which is odd). Before they added the pyros to Sheep, they had siren lights on top of the giant speaker stacks on the stage which would spin around during the climax. You can spot the sirens in some pre-show photographs from the time. I think they stopped this after they added the pyro but I'm not too sure. Of course sometime in June 1977, they added the cannons which would fire the Sheep parachutes into the sky, before they slowly fall down at Rick's outro. You can see this in several pics from the time, as well as the Cleveland and Montréal 8mms.

Around the same time, they introduced a heavy smoke effect around David during the introduction verse to Dogs. I'm not exactly sure when they stopped doing this but you can see it in a ton of late February-March pics, and even the Munich (March 1st) 8mm film.

They had the infamous exploding pig inflatable, which was done by filling a spare pig with propane and then pulling a rope to ignite it. This was done from the start of the North American tour up until Milwaukee, when the roadies put too much propane in the pig. They essentially set off a giant bomb in the sky.

I know for late '75 they had that giant pyro bang at the start of Have A Cigar, but I'm sure they didn't use it for this tour, even if they had the ability to. I know in Montréal, after 6-9 ends, you can hear a load of fireworks booming in the background. I dunno if they did that in other shows or if it was delayed or something.

They had two different pyros that they would use for Money in North America. One was a GIGANTIC waterfall of sparklers that would drop from above the stage, downwards. Picture the pyros at the end of Sheep, but for the entire stage. This would happen at the climax of the Money solo. The other pyros were simply smoke cannons that would cover the stage in smoke; exactly like Echoes in late '75. They also set off some fireworks at the same time, at least in Montréal. Not sure about the other shows.

I may edit this if I remember others, but I hope this helps. Any fireworks you just hear randomly throughout the show are ones that are set off by some douchebag in the crowd.
              - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

This is all of course, completely ironic since the fireworks phenomena of the 70's nearly climaxes during the July 4th show at MSG . Somewhat darkly humorous and coincidental as well as being a massive pain in the rear. Happy independence day America I hope you like fireworks being throw close to your skull during Pigs 3DO. Another coincidence, I'm listening to 7/4/77 right now actually. I think this version of Pigs 3DO has the best Rick moog solo during the middle section. Listening to Animals live has given me a greater appreciation for Pigs 3DO especially the ending where Dave and Rick go back and forth, which is sort of reminiscent of the end of Echoes in a way.
                Last edited by TheGreenStrat; 07-23-2023, 01:17 PM.
                Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

Firecrackers were big with the teens in the US in mid to late 70s. It would probably be something you'd try to sneak in to a show back then. Today it's different.

Comment

• TheGreenStrat
                    TheGreenStrat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No more M-80’s and cherry bombs in the concert halls thankfully that’s for sure.

You can hear this in audience recordings of American shows by other bands at this time as well. It was very common in the mid 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by lennyif View Post
                    You can hear this in audience recordings of American shows by other bands at this time as well. It was very common in the mid 70's.
                    It was also a pain in the arse in the European shows. A friend of mine attended a Led Zeppelin show in Vienna 1980 and there were major problems with firecrackers too up to a point the band left the stage for about 20 minutes.

Comment

There are a few Led Zeppelin boots punctuated with fireworks. I don't think Robert Plant was as quick to chastise audiences about it.

Comment

I don't think Robert Plant was as quick to chastise audiences about it.
                        Not in the style that Roger does! However, like Roger, he was regularly pissed off at people whistling at concerts.
                        Listening back to old bootlegs, it surprises me just how inconsiderate people were back then.
                        In the sense that it isn't just a modern-day phenomenon.
                        There's a CSNY recording out there where people are practically screaming at others to 'sit-down' throughout the entire show!

Comment

Originally posted by raelnyc View Post

Not in the style that Roger does! However, like Roger, he was regularly pissed off at people whistling at concerts.
                          Listening back to old bootlegs, it surprises me just how inconsiderate people were back then.
                          In the sense that it isn't just a modern-day phenomenon.
                          There's a CSNY recording out there where people are practically screaming at others to 'sit-down' throughout the entire show!

Well people are pretty inconsiderate these days as well. The amount of talking and beer runs that goes on is pretty bad. It seems like the older the crowd is, the worse it is. I go to the various PF tribute acts and it's a constant shuffle of people getting drinks as the average age is probably around 60. My recording from Roger's Us & Them tour has more than a few drunks going by, one of who literally fell into my lap.

Go to a show that trends younger (say The Brian Jonestown Massacre) and it's noticeably better. Dang old people!
                          What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                          PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                          Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                          Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                          Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Working...
                          X