Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy harper on why his voice was on pink floyd's 'have a cigar'. Not roger waters or david gilmour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy harper on why his voice was on pink floyd's 'have a cigar'. Not roger waters or david gilmour

I'm sure others have seen this, but it is something I just stumbled across, so others may not have seen it, here is a link.
    Mr. Harper has some interesting observations.

I saw him at Knebworth 1975 - which was a surprise though the album wasn't released then - was intrigued. His earlier slot sucked. Gilmour should have sung it in WYWH.

Comment

Originally posted by harryboy View Post
      I saw him at Knebworth 1975 - which was a surprise though the album wasn't released then - was intrigued. His earlier slot sucked. Gilmour should have sung it in WYWH.
      Roy was just awful that night overall it seems. He had a temper tantrum backstage and destroyed one of Floyd's vans because his stage outfit was missing, even injuring himself. Absolute bellend.

Comment

I think Pink Floyd and the Led Zep bucks kept him around once they made their millions to try and keep themselves grounded and in touch with the 'underground' despite becoming mainstream acts themselves.

I've never knowingly enjoyed a single note of Roy Harper's grating output. Just some dodgy balding guy with an acoustic guitar making harsh noise. His song Forbidden Fruit gives us an interesting insight into his needs, wants and desires.

"Steal away from mummy, oh there's my little girl
        On the pillow of my tummy, give my hair a curl
        Run your fingers under and over, make us a little pool
        And don't forget about tomorrow in the same place after school​".

No wonder Jimmy Page liked him!

Comment

Originally posted by y!me

There's a reason he's considered a genius and it's all there in his music/lyrics.
          Maybe a misunderstood genius whose albums sold in the low thousands if that .

Comment

• j.vavala513@gmail.com
            j.vavala513@gmail.com commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t feel any way about Harper, but I will say that judging an artist’s talent based on commercial success comes off extremely vapid and shallow. By those metrics the Backstreet Boys are better than Dylan and R Kelly has more merit than Tom Petty or Leonard Cohen.

Originally posted by y!me
          I won't waste both of ours time by recommending the one's that are quite beautiful, rocking and engaging...lyrically and sonically​ pleasing to the ear. As it appears you're made your mind up and aren't soliciting suggestions.
          Hey y!me, I'd love to hear that recommendation! All I ever heard of Roy, well, was Have a Cigar! Hahahaha

Feel free to recommend some of his stuff, you got me curious!

Comment

‘I Hate The White Man’ is usually a good litmus test of whether Roy Harper is for you. Either that or ‘When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease’

Comment

I also saw Harper at the Knebworth show in 1975. The only thing I can remember of his set was that when he came on stage he spent a minute or two asking if anybody in the crowd had any dope he could have. I must have been suitable impressed because I purchased his 'HQ' album which came out around the time of Wish You Were Here. The fact that Dave Gilmour played on it may have been an influencing factor I purchased. However, The track 'When an old Cricketer leaves the Crease" is one of my favourite pieces of music of all time. The whole album is very good, but for some reason never bothered to follow it up with any subsequent music he put out. Saw him again in 1977 at West Runton Pavilion in Norfolk (England) and can remember enjoying it. Also remember that the venue was barely half full. So if you are not aware of his music I suggest the 'HQ' album might be a good place to start.

Comment

Working...
              X