Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YASHA View Post

Today, 08:07 PM

...you are trying to organize a political discussion here, contrary to the rules of the community.​
    Ummm🙄, I'm not trying to organize anything. EYE responded to other posts in the thread. It's not a political discussion, it's a discussion of the themes of The Final Cut which has political content. EYE never even offered any opinion as to the merits of any political views espoused by Rog on TFC. EYE merely pointed out that if Margaret Thatcher is the woman standing on Southampton Dock it changes my outlook on the song personally, and EYE expressed the sentiment that EYE was sad that Pink Floyd ceased to be a band because EYE think that The Fletcher Memorial Home would have been an EPIC live number.
    Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:46 AM.
    And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

Everyone take about 20% off. Keep to the topic or take it private.
      For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

No Rick Wright. No Pink Floyd as evident as the Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smithee View Post
          No Rick Wright. No Pink Floyd as evident as the Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason
          No Nick Mason on TSITS, either. To be fair, Rick wasn't much involved in The Wall either as EYE understand, touring aside. And AMLOR is a David Gilmour solo album in all but name, recent revisionism notwithstanding, with only the most minimal contributions from Rick and Nick, as I understand.
          Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
            daemonspudguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Nick was apparently going to play on Two Suns but straight up said that he "couldn't play it" so Andy Newmark was called in to do it.

Before this topic gets closed, I'd just like to point out how, in my opinion, the demo for "Not Now John" is vastly superior to the album version. TFC is an album that suffers from overproduction. Underneath it all is a great song! If its been a while, do yourself a treat & dig it out & have a listen.

Comment

You know, having listened to the demo version of Not Now John just now, EYE realize how much of a retread it is of that whole disco boogie vibe that The Wall had on tracks like ABITW Pt2, Young Lust, and Run Like Hell. Maybe Dave had some valid points about the material on TFC.
            Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I just relistened to The final cutting and wonder if a better version of these demos is existing. Compared to other demos of the group, the sound is pretty bad.

Comment

Speaking of the Final Cut, any word on Vernon's book being reprinted at all?

Comment

• Fungusmungus
                  Fungusmungus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do a search every few months myself for a copy. Fingers crossed a reprint comes around again.

First side minus Paranoid Eyes and second side the title track and Two Suns In The Sunset My opinion take it or leave it..One thing for sure it was the weakest of all the albums with Roger as a member.

Comment

• stonytokes
                  stonytokes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Weaker than More? or the studio portion of Ummagumma? Opinions vary, EYE suppose...
                  Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:47 AM.

I’m playing the Final Cut now on HD download with my seinnhizer headphones on

Comment

• Skinny12
                  Skinny12 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So check for great insights about the holophonic on the latest episode with Andy Jackson…

Originally posted by stonytokes View Post
                This discussion has made me rethink my concept of what Rog was trying to say with this song. I never really pictured Thatcher as the woman on Southampton Dock until now. But I guess I never really thought about what Rog meant by a woman standing there with her hands "white upon the slippery reins".
                In one version he even sings "white upon the slippery reins of state". His point was that she needed the war to solve her problem of her shaky grip on power. Which history has borne out.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post
                  In one version he even sings "white upon the slippery reins of state".
                  Where can I find this?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post

Where can I find this?
                    Can't remember, it's on one of the ROIOs live recordings somewhere, possibly "Goodbye Mr Pink Floyd?"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post

Can't remember, it's on one of the ROIOs live recordings somewhere, possibly "Goodbye Mr Pink Floyd?"
                      No, not that particular show.

I think it was the ‘84 or ‘85 tours where he was name dropping Reagan during Brain Damage? Sounds more in line with something from those shows.

Comment

Working...
                      X