No announcement yet.

The Final Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Final Cut/AMLOR comp stretches the single LP a bit coming out at 55 minutes so probably does need a trim.

Another Movie Pt2
    Signs of Life
    the Post War Dream
    One of the Few
    Terminal Frost
    Paranoid Eyes
    On the Turning Away
    Southampton Dock
    Yet Another Movie
    Round and Round
    Another Movie Pt1
    Not Now John
    Sorrow
    Two Suns in the Sunset

​​​​​​All AMLOR tracks from the remix.
    ​​​​

Comment

i always thought the title track was good....but it doesnt sound like a Floyd album. the band ended years earlier.

Comment

Man, EYE love The Final Cut. The absence of Rick notwithstanding (and Nick on TSITS), it's the last proper Floyd album in my opinion. EYE love Dave's guitar sound on this album and think it contains some of his best solos.

Sure, some of the material is reworked Wall material. EYE think it's kind of cool, though, how Roger made one of the villains of The Wall a sympathetic character on TFC. And EYE think his assessment of the situation on this album is correct: we send our boys off to war and provide almost zero support for them if they are lucky enough to return home.

EYE can understand why WTTBF is included on TFC since it's an incredibly personal statement much like the rest of the album, but it never fit with the rest of the album AFAIC. It makes more sense to me as one of the bricks in Pink's wall.
        Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:49 AM.
        And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

The Wall is already my favorite Floyd album as it is so obviously I would rank the Final Cut rather highly as well, but I would not say it's in my top 5, at least at this moment. I think Atom Heart Mother slightly edges it out, but my opinion about those two seems to change somewhat randomly.
          Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
          Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
          Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
          Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by floydian1 View Post
            TFC is a great album. The best Roger Waters solo album 😏. He predicts the end of the Post War Consensus and addresses PTSD way before it became trendy.
            And just to clear up a long established misunderstanding - the women dressed in her summer frock bravely waving goodbye to the troops on the quay in Southampton Dock is NOT Margaret Thatcher.
            But the one with her hands tight upon the slippery reins of power is Maggie Thatcher, Rog has said so.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post

But the one with her hands tight upon the slippery reins of power is Maggie Thatcher, Rog has said so.
              Can you provide evidence of that quote? Thatcher was an incredibly divisive figure in UK in the 1980s. Roger would never have empathised with her as a PM sending troops off to a pointless war again.

Comment

Originally posted by floydian1 View Post

Can you provide evidence of that quote? Thatcher was an incredibly divisive figure in UK in the 1980s. Roger would never have empathised with her as a PM sending troops off to a pointless war again.
                EYE can't provide evidence of the quote, but EYE seem to remember that during the '99 tour Roger inserted "Maggie, what have we done?" at the end of Southampton Dock just after the slippery reins line in The Final Cut (Side 2) medley he did on that tour. That would tend to lend credence to the idea that Maggie is the one standing there at Southampton Dock bravely waving the boys goodbye again. Which makes the atmosphere not one of empathy, but of blackest sarcasm bordering on hatred. And considering the subject matter of the song immediately previous to this one on the album where Rog fantasizes about bumping off the world leaders of the time, consistent in tone as well.

This discussion has made me rethink my concept of what Rog was trying to say with this song. EYE never really pictured Thatcher as the woman on Southampton Dock until now. But EYE guess EYE never really thought about what Rog meant by a woman standing there with her hands "white upon the slippery reins".
                Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:50 AM.

Comment

You know...it's too bad the boys went their separate ways after this album. Can you imagine what an immense lumbering beast of a live tune The Fletcher Memorial Home would have been? With that monster solo from Dave? We were robbed, EYE tell ya.

Can you even imagine the animation on Mr. Screen for it? The mind boggles. Mr. Scarfe, white courtesy phone, Mr. Scarfe, white courtesy phone, please...

Safe in the permanent gaze of a cold, glass EYE
                  Their favorite toy
                  They'll be good girls and boys...
                  In the Fletcher Memorial Home for Colonial Wasters of Life and Limb
                  Is everyone in?
                  Are you having a nice time?
                  Now the final solution can be applied

Robbed, EYE tell ya...
                  Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:51 AM.

Comment

stonytokes​ !

​I perceive any provocative throw-ins solely as disrespectful to the work of Pink Floyd, the solo work of its participants.

In addition, I consider such statements disrespectful to our community and to everyone individually.

You have already managed to provoke the closure of a topic that is "undesirable" for you, now you have decided to "have fun" here.
                    Last edited by YASHA; 05-19-2024, 03:31 PM.
                    We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

• Floydophile
                      Floydophile commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry chap, but you better not attribute the closing of a thread to a single person. To my understanding at least three parties are involved when it goes this far: The two 'opponents' and at least one Mod. Also, you might want to consider that not all of us are native english speakers. And some of us might occasionally tend to make offhand remarks without having bad intentions. Thus, I would suggest to you to take respective conflicts not too seriously ...
                      Last edited by Floydophile; 05-19-2024, 08:28 PM.

• stonytokes
                      stonytokes commented
                      Editing a comment
                      God forbid anyone should have some fun here.

Originally posted by YASHA View Post
                    stonytokes​ !

​I perceive any provocative throw-ins solely as disrespectful to the work of Pink Floyd, the solo work of its participants.

In addition, I consider such statements disrespectful to our community and to everyone individually.

You have already managed to provoke the closure of a topic that is "undesirable" for you, now you have decided to "have fun" here.
                    ^^^^I'm not quite sure what this means. Could someone explain it to me? What did EYE say that was disrespectful to the work of Pink Floyd or the solo work of its participants? What statement did EYE make that was disrespectful of the community and everyone individually? TBH, EYE have no idea why the previous "objectionable" topic closed. EYE registered my opinion in the thread, there was disagreement with my opinion, followed by some friendly sniping back and forth. There were no personal attacks, no-one insulted anyone's intelligence or the like, just differing opinions.

Is speech and articulation of ideas so closely policed here that actual discussion of the music of Pink Floyd is not allowed?
                    Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I can smell the thread being closed soon...

AGAIN.

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Just stop.
                      - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Have the gods of prog rock never released any clunkers? Is saying that EYE don't particularly like the song Blue Light disrespectful to the work of Pink Floyd or the solo work of its participants? What if EYE say EYE can't believe that EYE waited 20-some-ought years for Is This The Album We Really Wanted? Is humor not allowed for fear of offense?
                        Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I mean, we are discussing Pink Floyd's most politically charged album here, but EYE don't see where the conversation has stepped over the line at all. Could someone point it out to me?
                          Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:45 AM.

Comment

"Personal musical preferences are a personal matter for everyone, isn't it?" - YASHA, 03-29-2024, 02:17 PM
                            Last edited by stonytokes; 05-19-2024, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stonytokes View Post
                              "Personal musical preferences are a personal matter for everyone, isn't it?" - YASHA, 03-29-2024, 02:17 PM
                              Today, 08:07 PM

That's right.

Only you don't notice that you are a hundred times more politicized than TFC and you are trying to organize a political discussion here, contrary to the rules of the community.​
                              Last edited by YASHA; 05-19-2024, 05:09 PM.
                              We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

• stonytokes
                                stonytokes commented
                                Editing a comment
                                EYE challenge you to show me where it is stated in the rules that political discussion is prohibited.
                                Last edited by stonytokes; 08-14-2024, 06:45 AM.
                            Working...
                            X