Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be wrong of me to collect a few boots on vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would it be wrong of me to collect a few boots on vinyl?

Ive spent a lot of money on the Floyd over the years and recently added a really nice turntable to my already fantastic stereo. So now I've found myself spending a whole bunch more money on their official stuff when I already have all of it on CD, even multiples when I spent some time chasing down the best ones.

So now I got an itch to get a few boots from my favorite era (pre Dark Side - Post Barrett). I know the source material comes from here and that I already have it on my computer but none the less the itch is still there. A cursory search shows that there are several newish issues out that have rave reviews.

Would discussion of this topic even be allowed here? Would I be a "bad" person for getting a couple?

It's your money, you spend it as you wish. Why would you even ask for others' opinions here on that topic? And if you're unsure about a decision you would make, and you're in doubt whether that would make you "a bad person" then you don't need to ask a bunch of strangers here, but to seek professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by ruben77 View Post
      It's your money, you spend it as you wish. Why would you even ask for others' opinions here on that topic? And if you're unsure about a decision you would make, and you're in doubt whether that would make you "a bad person" then you don't need to ask a bunch of strangers here, but to seek professional help.
      Well one cant really trust any reviews over on discogs, they really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to this stuff. While they might sound fantastic to them it could still be pulled from really inferior sources. Me asking if I would be bad was really tongue in cheek, but i see that it didn't really convey well over text on the internet.

Comment

Discussion is fine, it's kind of what we do here. What we do not facilitate is the buying or selling of such material.
        What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
        PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
        Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
        Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
        Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by Nodak View Post
          Ive spent a lot of money on the Floyd over the years and recently added a really nice turntable to my already fantastic stereo. So now I've found myself spending a whole bunch more money on their official stuff when I already have all of it on CD, even multiples when I spent some time chasing down the best ones.

So now I got an itch to get a few boots from my favorite era (pre Dark Side - Post Barrett). I know the source material comes from here and that I already have it on my computer but none the less the itch is still there. A cursory search shows that there are several newish issues out that have rave reviews.

Would discussion of this topic even be allowed here? Would I be a "bad" person for getting a couple?
          I wouldn't spend money on something that's already available for free, and, quality wise, inferior quality. But if you still want to do some LP, you may seek for rare items. You can start with this great site: https://www.floydboots.com/ and from that, doing your own research.
          If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

Originally posted by Nodak View Post

I'll echo what some have said. It's your money and you should do with it as you wish. I personally would not buy vinyl sources that have been superseded by other cassette or reel transfers but if you can find some vinyl to maybe improve upon existing vinyl only sources, I think that's a worthwhile venture.
            Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

To give my thoughts on that subject; of course you would be supporting the B-industry with buyings, but here we are talking not about purchasing the ordinary CDs which sources you can get here also for free, but a piece of vinyl, which is another form of work, with the sleeve which you can hang on the wall as a painting (if the cover is good), another sound, and for sure you can´t download vinyl unless you have a 3D copying machine. And maybe you really find some new better sources.

Comment

I sometimes feel the same itch when I see a vinyl of a show I really like, even though I know its available for free and most likely in better quality.
                ​​​​​​But there's something very different in putting on a vinyl than listening to a digital file. I find the listening experience much more immersive when listening to a vinyl, and I think that's the reason that I would like to have some of the best shows in that format.
                Of course the very best thing that could happen is if Pink Floyd management finally decided to really spoil the fans and get in contact with one of the experts from this community to help them release a collection of the best bootlegs available in the best quality available and mastered on professional equipment. There might even be something hidden in their own vault, who knows.
                Of course that is stupid to even hope for.

Comment

The few physical boots that I bought (from memory, Double Bubble, Winter Tour 74 and Psychedelic Games For May) were pre-internet and have sat in a shed unplayed for the best part of three decades, either because they officially released the material or because it was sonically horrible.

Comment

is your money.....

Comment

While it's kind of cool to own old pre-1980s vinyl boots, these days a relatively decent copy is not cheap. They weren't made to a high quality standard and certainly aren't as good sounding as what is now available for those shows so you're really just buying the nostalgia. I've passed up on a few copies of the Raving and Drooling namesake boot as they went for way beyond sane money.
                      What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
                        While it's kind of cool to own old pre-1980s vinyl boots, these days a relatively decent copy is not cheap. They weren't made to a high quality standard and certainly aren't as good sounding as what is now available for those shows so you're really just buying the nostalgia. I've passed up on a few copies of the Raving and Drooling namesake boot as they went for way beyond sane money.
                        Im thinking more along the lines of the new stuff out of Europe hitting ebay, it would be really cool to have a copy of Concertoubouw on vinyl.

Originally posted by Floydfan2410 View Post
                        I sometimes feel the same itch when I see a vinyl of a show I really like, even though I know its available for free and most likely in better quality.
                        ​​​​​​But there's something very different in putting on a vinyl than listening to a digital file. I find the listening experience much more immersive when listening to a vinyl, and I think that's the reason that I would like to have some of the best shows in that format.
                        Of course the very best thing that could happen is if Pink Floyd management finally decided to really spoil the fans and get in contact with one of the experts from this community to help them release a collection of the best bootlegs available in the best quality available and mastered on professional equipment. There might even be something hidden in their own vault, who knows.
                        Of course that is stupid to even hope for.

Well this would be ideal but of course you are correct.

Comment

It's your money and its something you'd enjoy owning, right? This shouldn't even be a question.

Comment

the only floyd vinyl i ever owned was one of the transcription discs for the paris theatre show ('echoes, ootd, embryo'), that i bought second-hand in the late 80's. loved the show to death, hated the scratchy, poppy vinyl source... but i made a cassette copy so that i wouldn't wear it out (last time i listened, i could still tell where there was a bad spot in one of the grooves that i had to carefully remove with a "real" needle, to remove a skip). eventually sold it back to the record store, and haven't missed it at all, especially since i now have it in the highest possible quality (courtesy of rontoon). maybe if it'd had some really cool artwork i might have held on to it... but i doubt it. anyway, i agree with the others, it's your money, spend it however you want!
                            ...Raving and Drooling I fell on my Arse with a Squelch...

Comment

Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s use to go to some record shops here in Sydney at least once a week or so to buy vinyl boots.
                              loved the covers and of course the music.
                              must have close to a hundred lps
                              and singles.
                              very rarely buy any now though, won’t be the original ones anymore..
                              it’s your money, I say buy a few.
                              can’t hurt….

Comment

Working...
                              X