Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi (looking for the best release on CD of The Final Cut original configuration)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi (looking for the best release on CD of The Final Cut original configuration)

Hi,

whilst I really enjoyed Heywood version of "The Final Cut", putting in the perfect place "The Heroe's Return Part.2" (still wonder why it has been removed from the original configuration) I just think that the first side of the album suffers from the inclusion of "The Tigers Broke Free".
    No in terms of lyrics and theme; that's just that The Final Cut (as I read in a thread about David Gilmour solos) is one of the Pink Floyd album with one of the strongest dynamic (like, let's say, Brother Where You Bound - Supertramp) : "Your Possible Pasts" with his loud drums and its "énaurme" guitar solo; just says it all. "Not Now John" is a kind of another "Young Lust solo (I do like Roger's vocal version on the FRP Argentina old K7), the other guitar solos are kind of one step further than the whole; as good as Comfortably Numb, still this kind of sounds, but just another step.

So, the HDTracks version has The Tigers Broke Free, the recent remasters have the Tigers Booke Free.
    Which official release has the best sound quality (keeping the original album configuration) ?

the most recent remaster I "found" was this one :
    2018 remaster - CBS Inc. / KronStudioLab Int'l

not sure if this is not a fake - even though it does not look like. The other 2016 remaster has The Tigers Broke Free.

What about the 2 box set ? Discovery and Oh By The Way ? This was already the "revised" track-listing with The Tigers Broke Free ?

thanks in advance for your help.

The best official remaster of original 12-track album is

Columbia CK 68517 [2A], US 1997 Nimbus (43:24) (Anniversary Edition)

https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/1...e-Final-Cut​

Comment

I have the original Japanese release on CD that sounds great. Make me an offer!

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/1...e-Final-Cut​
        I think this is actually the only CD release of the Final Cut featuring the Doug Sax remaster, which has a lovely sound. I also like it a lot.

Or you can get the Hi-res audio of the album, and just delete Tigers. A little bit of editing is needed to create a perfect seamless transition between One of the Few and Hero's Return. But once done it is as if Tigers had never existed. I did that, and been happy with it.

Comment

I have both variants TFC.
          I like them each in their own way =)​
          We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

I quite like the 1st issue Columbia Records release, catalogue number CK 38243.
            Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
            Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
            Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
            Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Heywood, your version is from 2014 and it would be great to know which CD you used for your resquenced & expanded configuration, because the dynamic will vary depending on which remaster it is. There was no text file; thus I don't know which version you used; perhaps the one from the Oh By The Way box set ?

To me the second side is perfect with "The Hero's Return Part 2" right after "Paranoid Eyes". It works damned good.
              But I was so familiar with the side 1 (there are two many acoustic songs if you put "When The Tigers Broke Free" and I think that the tension that is built from "The Post War Dream" to "Your Possible Pasts" need to be still "hold" with a Gilmour-guitar number like "The Hero's Return" just after "One Of The Few".
              There are already some reminiscence of The Wall soundtrack in the Final Cut (the intro/theme of the Post War Dream); and, thus, side 1, as in its original configuration was a perfect balance between tension and melancholic slow part, like The Gunner's Dream which resists John Lennon's chord progression from "Isolation" (and what a fantastic saxophones solo!)

Perhaps it was the Italian (c) 1994 remaster of "The Final Cut".

Comment

I have "found" these CD versions :

35P : Second Japan
                32P-364 First Japan

These are not a remaster.

I did not find the Nimbus version - what's its country ?

I'm referring to CD version (remastered or not) not vinyl (probably pbthal did some excellent needldrops, but probably the reconfigured/revisionist version with "The Tigers Broke Free")​

Comment

• A Prick Like You
                  A Prick Like You commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If they’re needledrops, they probably won’t have ‘Tigers’ on because that 13-track version wasn’t released on vinyl until 2017.

Originally posted by svaerige View Post

https://www.discogs.com/ru/release/19106821-Pink-Floyd-The-Final-Cut​
                cool :-) I have just "found" it. So that's the only remastered edition of the original "The Final Cut" before the revised configuration including "The Tigers Broke Free" ? (and... "broke" the tension of Side 1)

I have compared it with Heywood's version (which is probably another remaster) and apparently this Columbia Doug Sax 1997 remaster was mastered less loud than the other CD : -2db at least in comparison; but the dynamic between low/slow and high parts is wider/larger. Means better dynamic.
                Last edited by Rupert Pupkin; 02-29-2024, 03:25 AM.

Comment

hello! I looked for the heywood version on the internet but no luck... could someone share it with me? thank you!!!

Comment

I'm interested in the Heywood version as well. Send me a PM or something.
                    Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                    Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                    Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                    Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

OK, I will try to upload it this morning (send you private link as soon as I can)
                      it's still on some trackers; but no seeders apparently...

Comment

Can anyone share the heywood version link with me? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X