No announcement yet.

Paintbox and Let There Be More Light new (alternative) mixes for completists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paintbox and Let There Be More Light new (alternative) mixes for completists

new (alternative) versions of early singles - for the attention of completists

on occasion I browsed some of the videos from The Early Years Box

it is known that for many videos the soundtracks were re-made and newly overdubbed instead of the original ones

in most cases these were just studio versions without any changes

however at least for two tracks the team had to go beyond simply overdubbing the original audio and make special editing

so for Discorama (and for Tienerklanken too) mimed performance of Paintbox instead of the original mono mix of the track they made a new stereo version - for this they took a track from Relics and added an additional (second) segment at the end Rick Wright "Ah-ah-ah" - the track remained stereo but became closer to the mono mix by duration

also for Samedi they replaced the original Let There Be More Light audio track (by the way in original taken from the U.S. Tower single) - as in 1968 for the single they again downmixed original stereo version - however if in the Tower single the second verse is missing then in the new overdubbed version the fourth verse cut out - instrumental parts at the beginning and at the end also edited a little differently

yourwelcome​

But it's not new mixes from original multitracks, right?

Comment

• svaerige
      svaerige commented
      Editing a comment
      of course it's right

Side question - who is doing the backing vocals on Paintbox? The ‘away awayawayawayaway’-type bit? Doesn’t sound like Syd or Roger.

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
      Side question - who is doing the backing vocals on Paintbox? The ‘away awayawayawayaway’-type bit? Doesn’t sound like Syd or Roger.
      It could be Norman Smith? As on Piper, I think he was a bit of a 'Fifth Beatle' when it came to adding compositional elements to some of those early songs.

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
        I think I imagined that as just an overdubbed Richard Wright.

Comment

Working...
        X