More and La Vallée

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More and La Vallée

This has probably already been discussed, but watching the film La Vallée again, I noticed (I had noticed before) how the songs are different from those released on the album - different vocals, guitar phrases, Free Four lyrics with an extra verse ...
    This also happens in the film More...
    Does anyone know how to explain? Were they previous versions and then re-recorded for the disc? Just two different productions? Do these versions exist? So many questions...
    Another thing: in the "full moon" scene at La Vallée (I'll attach a photo), what they play, for me, is clearly Pink Floyd, mainly on the guitar... what song is that? Just a jam for the scene?​
    Thank you and I appreciate if someone can explain!

From memory, the film versions were done first due to being on a deadline and/or not giving too much attention to the mix (since they would not be the primary focus or played at particularly high fidelity in cinemas), and then the recordings were remixed/improved for release. Don’t know how Seabirds slipped through the net though.

I’ve watched both films twice, and that’s twice too many for either of them (same goes for The Committee).
    Last edited by A Prick Like You; 02-22-2024, 06:05 AM.

Comment

That is correct. Usually PF spent about 2 weeks writing and recording soundtrack work due to touring commitments (with Zabriskie Point being an exception). But the "film mixes" were really just rough mixes of what we hear on the album. These film mixes were given to the production company on mono tape reels. Then later, the band would revisit the original multitrack tapes and remix them for an album release.

For More, it is believed that only one of the mono film mix reels survives, or is at least out in the public. This is how we got the "non-album tracks" in The Early Years box set. Unfortunately, the reel with "Seabirds" on it allegedly was a 2nd gen, and deemed not up to quality standards by the band... hence why we ended up with a mistitled take of "Quicksilver" instead. As for the multitrack tapes, most of them were stolen. A couple of them even show up on internet auction sites every once in a while, but nobody has publicly owned up to owning them for obvious reasons. This film is by far the most confusing in terms of different versions of songs, but I believe a member on the old Y forum once tried to decode them all.

For La Vallee, the band still possesses all of the original multitracks, hence why we got a new remix in The Early Years set. As for the film mix reels, nothing is really known about them, which is a shame in my opinion. The film mixes of the soundtrack feature a lot of great keyboard and guitar parts that went unused on the album, and would have been well suited in the 2016 remix. But oh well. As for the strange instrumental, there was a discussion a few years ago on Y about whether it was even played by the band, although I'm not sure a concensus was ever reached.
      "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

Thank you guys! I had the impression I had already heard about the changes being in the mixing...
        It's a shame we don't have these versions yet! Who knows, maybe one day... For me, the "More" phase is the one I like the most... And Obscured is a great album!​

Comment

Overall the Floyd soundtracks (and their various outtakes) are some of my favorite work by the band.
          Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

On a side note, I recall there was talk of a radio documentary called something like Laying Down Tracks that covered the recording of Cirrus Minor. Has that popped up anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
              On a side note, I recall there was talk of a radio documentary called something like Laying Down Tracks that covered the recording of Cirrus Minor. Has that popped up anywhere?
              I think this is what you are looking for.

https://ravinganddrooling.com/forum/...rrents/206097-

Comment

Working...
              X