Roger Waters dropped by BMG over Israel comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger Waters dropped by BMG over Israel comments

He has the right to voice his opinions, but should he?

/////////////////

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/...ts-1235891350/

BMG is to part ways with Roger Waters, the Pink Floyd co-founder whose inflammatory comments about Israel, Ukraine and the United States have caused no shortage of controversy, Variety has learned. The German-based company signed a publishing agreement with the musician in 2016 and was scheduled to release a newly recorded version of Pink Floyd's epochal 1973 album "Dark Side of the Moon" last year, but new CEO Thomas Coesfeld nixed the deal after taking up his new post on July 1, 2023. The album ultimately came out through U.K.-based Cooking Vinyl.​

Just saying it now - easy on the comments please.
    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Words matter.

Comment

Supporting BDS vs. being nixed by the industry? Just seems to be logical and fair to me ('equality of arms' principle ...) .
        Last edited by Floydophile; 01-31-2024, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Not entirely surprising. Roger won't be the only artist to criticise Israel (et al), but he singles himself out by doing so on such an industrial, borderline obsessive scale.

The classic Pink Floyd albums will always sell but new, and arguable niche, albums will always be trickier to move in bulk. Especially if the creator is such a loose cannon, mouthpiece and at risk of ever diminishing a once-loyal fan base.

Comment

Roger is 80 years old. Pretty sure he has been IDGAF mode for years.
            Roger Waters March 23/1985 Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens
            Pink Floyd Sept. 22/1987 Toronto CNE
            Pink Floyd July 5/1994 Toronto CNE
            Roger Waters Oct. 3rd and 13th/2017 Toronto Air Canada Center
            Roger Waters July 8th & 9th/2022 Toronto Scotiabank Arena
            Nick Mason's SOS Oct. 8th/2022 Toronto Massey Hall

Comment

They have Weleased Woger!

Comment

• DesertRat
                DesertRat commented
                Editing a comment
                Welease Woderwick!!

Has the industry ever been against genocide in history? The industry's grammar is about profit, no matter who the artist or the cause is.

Comment

Originally posted by dks View Post
                Has the industry ever been against genocide in history? The industry's grammar is about profit, no matter who the artist or the cause is.
                No industry under modern capitalism cares about anything more than making infinity plus one dollars.
                Last edited by daemonspudguy; 02-02-2024, 06:23 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
                Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

I love Roger, I really do, but it was a matter of time. You have the right to express your opinion, whatever that may be. There may also be repercussions for said opinion, and you have to know that and be ready to deal with the consequences. Whether he's right or wrong in your (meaning anyone else's) opinion is irrelevant. The record company has the right to part ways with him if they choose or he broke some sort of terms of service or whatever.
                  Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

• MGoBlue1989
                    MGoBlue1989 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well said and a lot of people just don't get it. It's part of cancel culture now and people unwilling to listen to anyone else's view without vitriol. We used to live in a world where people could think on their own and weren't offended by every thing they heard. Not so anymore.

I consider Roger to be just another out-of-touch, elderly rock star whose opinion really shouldn't matter to anyone other than fools with a bad case of idol worship.

I do, however, support his right to voice his opinion about anything he damn well pleases, in any venue or forum, regardless of whether I or anyone else agrees with him.
                  And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by stonytokes View Post
                    I consider Roger to be just another out-of-touch, elderly rock star whose opinion really shouldn't matter to anyone other than fools with a bad case of idol worship.

I do, however, support his right to voice his opinion about anything he damn well pleases, in any venue or forum, regardless of whether I or anyone else agrees with him.
                    If your argument is how old a person is, I think that your knowledge of history or even minimal political training is not so well founded.

Comment

Originally posted by voices2010 View Post
                      If your argument is how old a person is, I think that your knowledge of history or even minimal political training is not so well founded.
                      Stares in American politics

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                        Words matter.
                        So do principles. I'm sure Roger has to stick by his.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanko View Post
                          Not entirely surprising. Roger won't be the only artist to criticise Israel (et al), but he singles himself out by doing so on such an industrial, borderline obsessive scale.

The classic Pink Floyd albums will always sell but new, and arguable niche, albums will always be trickier to move in bulk. Especially if the creator is such a loose cannon, mouthpiece and at risk of ever diminishing a once-loyal fan base.

He's been harking on about Israel since The Final Cut - then it was 'Mr Begin and Friends'

Comment

Working...
                          X