David Gilmour 1984 Super 8mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Gilmour 1984 Super 8mm

There is this 8mm film from a David Gilmour show in Allentown 1984 that you can find here: https://youtu.be/Yl9AgJgoWdY?si=2NaYEZW6lqIrEvk2

This isn't anything new, but I noticed that it isn't in the video lists anywhere and there seems to be little to no into on this film or the origins. From what I can gather, it was a film that Sigma got ahold of and released, and that's about it. I really think that this film needs a fresh scan. Does anybody here have any info about this film or potential leads on the origins? Any help is kindly appreciated! I would love to see this film in high resolution without crushed shadows.

Thanks!!!
    - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

David Gilmour
    Super 8
    Stabler Arena
    Allentown, PA
    July 12, 1984
    (HRV DVD 022)

Video: 720 x 480 (NTSC Widescreen)
    Audio: PCM Stereo
    Running Time: Approx 16 minutes

Featuring excerpts from:
    Money
    Run LIke Hell
    Comfortably Numb
    and
    Murder (with original audio)

Filmed by John Witmer, who I somehow convinced to lend me his original film. A HUGE thanks for filming parts of the show and having faith in this outcome... almost 30 years later!

Video Lineage: Super 8mm footage with sound (18 fps) > HD transfer (1920 x 1080 / overscanned / 18fps ) > color corrected and stablized in After Effects (no compression / 18fps) > NTSC Widescreen (Standard Definition / CBR 8 / 29.97fps)

The Super 8mm footage was transferred by Pixcel (https://www.pixcel.com) and saved as an uncompressed Quicktime (1920 x 1080) at its native speed (18fps). I color corrected and stablized the image in After Effects and then edited the project using Vegas Pro 11. The audio (with the exception of Murder, was sourced from the Westwood One transcription LPs. There wasn't any pro-recorded audio for "Murder" so MOB did the best he could with this song which is featured as bonus material separate from the main video.

Audio Lineage: Original Westwood One Radio Network LP's
    Gear: VPI Scoutmaster turntable > Dynavector 20XL cart > Sutherland Ph3D phono preamp > passive preamp > M-audio FIrewire Audiophile
    Software: Adobe Audtion 2.0, Flac Frontend
    LP recorded at 24/96 to preserve the full fidelity of the vinyl LP's.
    Transfer by A_L

Audio Remastering by MOB
    Details:
    - manual removal of some vinyl clicks
    - removal of the low frequency hum (from the turntable probably)
    - attenuation of the 16kHz band
    - careful EQ to reduce some harshness and have a fuller and warmer sound
    - adjustment of levels

Special thanks to Lars, Tim H, Jon R, Robert M, Dr Forrester, Posty, John J, Gonzo, and espesically A_L!

Enjoy!
    RonToon (February 2014)​

Comment

Originally posted by goguilorenzo View Post
      David Gilmour
      Super 8
      Stabler Arena
      Allentown, PA
      July 12, 1984
      (HRV DVD 022)

Video: 720 x 480 (NTSC Widescreen)
      Audio: PCM Stereo
      Running Time: Approx 16 minutes

Featuring excerpts from:
      Money
      Run LIke Hell
      Comfortably Numb
      and
      Murder (with original audio)

Filmed by John Witmer, who I somehow convinced to lend me his original film. A HUGE thanks for filming parts of the show and having faith in this outcome... almost 30 years later!

Video Lineage: Super 8mm footage with sound (18 fps) > HD transfer (1920 x 1080 / overscanned / 18fps ) > color corrected and stablized in After Effects (no compression / 18fps) > NTSC Widescreen (Standard Definition / CBR 8 / 29.97fps)

The Super 8mm footage was transferred by Pixcel (https://www.pixcel.com) and saved as an uncompressed Quicktime (1920 x 1080) at its native speed (18fps). I color corrected and stablized the image in After Effects and then edited the project using Vegas Pro 11. The audio (with the exception of Murder, was sourced from the Westwood One transcription LPs. There wasn't any pro-recorded audio for "Murder" so MOB did the best he could with this song which is featured as bonus material separate from the main video.

Audio Lineage: Original Westwood One Radio Network LP's
      Gear: VPI Scoutmaster turntable > Dynavector 20XL cart > Sutherland Ph3D phono preamp > passive preamp > M-audio FIrewire Audiophile
      Software: Adobe Audtion 2.0, Flac Frontend
      LP recorded at 24/96 to preserve the full fidelity of the vinyl LP's.
      Transfer by A_L

Audio Remastering by MOB
      Details:
      - manual removal of some vinyl clicks
      - removal of the low frequency hum (from the turntable probably)
      - attenuation of the 16kHz band
      - careful EQ to reduce some harshness and have a fuller and warmer sound
      - adjustment of levels

Special thanks to Lars, Tim H, Jon R, Robert M, Dr Forrester, Posty, John J, Gonzo, and espesically A_L!

Enjoy!
      RonToon (February 2014)​
      All I needed. Thanks kindly!

Comment

By the way...
        thank you for everything you are doing NuffM! Your videos and syncs are amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by goguilorenzo View Post
          By the way...
          thank you for everything you are doing NuffM! Your videos and syncs are amazing!!
          Thanks so much, man!!! Happy to do this for the fans. I really want this film and Atlanta 1973 re-scanned, as the scanning tech has upgraded heavily in the last 10 years. Can't wait for that, if it happens.
          Last edited by NuffM; 01-10-2024, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Bravo-Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post
              There is this 8mm film from a David Gilmour show in Allentown 1984 that you can find here: https://youtu.be/Yl9AgJgoWdY?si=2NaYEZW6lqIrEvk2

This isn't anything new, but I noticed that it isn't in the video lists anywhere and there seems to be little to no into on this film or the origins. From what I can gather, it was a film that Sigma got ahold of and released, and that's about it. I really think that this film needs a fresh scan. Does anybody here have any info about this film or potential leads on the origins? Any help is kindly appreciated! I would love to see this film in high resolution without crushed shadows.

Thanks!!!
              I bet I have the original transfer backed up somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
                I bet I have the original transfer backed up somewhere...
                Oh that would be lovely to work on if you'd be willing to send it over, Ron!

Comment

Oh that would be lovely to work on if you'd be willing to send it over, Ron!
                  I will dig for it tonmorrow and get back to you.

Comment

I will dig for it tonmorrow and get back to you.
                    Thank you kindly, Ron! Keep me posted!

Comment

Thank you kindly, Ron! Keep me posted!
                      Found it. Uploading all of my source material for the project.

Comment

Found it. Uploading all of my source material for the project.
                        Thank you so much!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X