Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Face Tour, is it really that underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today something strange happened to me that I would never have thought of... I put on Out of the Blue and immediately the streaming randomly played Southampton dock from the Final Cut and I realized that except for the lyrics... the entire sound context coincided with the final cut album... you might think that out of the blue could have other lyrics about war or politics.

Comment

• Demamo
      Demamo commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting you say that, see my earlier comment that some of the stuff on About Face is Final Cut-like.

• brunogorski
      brunogorski commented
      Editing a comment
      Great comment!

I thought it was great... I dearly wish I had seen the 1984 show in Cleveland (I scored it from Yeesh!), but I did not have my driver's license yet. I wish he would rerelease the home video, and do a boxset. I won't hold my breath...

Comment

Originally posted by Journey Man View Post
      Less 'underrated' more 'not rated as highly as'. The Floyd tours and his own two more recent tours have, for many, trumped the '84 shows. It's all comparative. I think at the time, and certainly I did, the tour was eagerly lapped up by fans who saw no prospect of any further Floyd shows. I saw a couple of the Hammersmith Odeon shows and really enjoyed them...but, I enjoyed the Floyd's and his 2006 shows more.
      That's a good point about the '84 shows being trumped. Of course, I didn't see either tour, but for me the 2006 tour wins because of Richard Wright being in the touring band and Echoes. But actually once again my personal tastes had me mostly downloading only the 2nd set + encores of the 2006 shows. I personally didn't find the On an island tracks that interesting for me either. Also, I had forgotten about all that bad (again to my tastes) sax in the '84 tour.

Comment

I never got to see David live in 1984, but I really like the About Face tour recordings. With the exception of a few songs, like Blue Light. I wore out my VHS copy of the Hammersmith concert. These days the sax stuff kind of grates on me, so I have to be in the mood to listen. Some of Mick Ralphs Near the End solos are incredible.

Originally posted by voices2010 View Post
        Today something strange happened to me that I would never have thought of... I put on Out of the Blue and immediately the streaming randomly played Southampton dock from the Final Cut and I realized that except for the lyrics... the entire sound context coincided with the final cut album... you might think that out of the blue could have other lyrics about war or politics.
        In my teenage years I used to make custom album mixes on cassette tape. I noticed the similarity of themes with TFC and a few About Face songs on the first listen, so I made a mix of TFC with Out of the Blue, Murder, and Near the End added. I think I even worked in All Lovers are Deranged early in the mix. I don't remember the exact track order, but I changed it so Near the End was the last track, and Not Now John came just before it. It sounded much more like a Floyd album that TFC alone did.
        www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
        http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Comment

• beeco
          beeco commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if David wrote any of the music during the Final Cut and it wasn't used?

• Kit Rae
          Kit Rae commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a vague memory of interview where David said the music for Love on the Air was written for The Final Cut.

• YASHA
          YASHA commented
          Editing a comment
          Love on the Air for The Final Cut??? It could have been a genius album!!!

When I caught the Floyd bug in 1985, About Face and Pros and Cons were pretty much "current", so I bought both, but AF was the one I played to death. I'm not sure about the remix angle, it's not the same as AMLOR where there is a legitimate case for 'revealing' something better under all the 80s guff. This feels pretty much itself, and apart from a few bad apples,
        is still a fave. The show looks atrociously naff these days but sounds fantastic - would love a proper live album release.

Comment

I absolutely love the About Face tour. I sincerely wish I could have seen this tour! The recordings from this tour showcase some of David's most unique and adventurous playing.
          Formerly known as jchrist1946 on Yeeshkul.

Comment

I can definitely listen to it more than I can watch the concert. It is hardcore 80's. As soon as the Sax player hits the stage with his red cowboy boots, I tap out. Murder and Near the End are stand out tracks for me.

Comment

Not from that tour, but the same year. I suppose you have already seen it but it is interesting how the bassist gets lost in the solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eqBE05O6AQ
              Last edited by Edufloyd; 01-15-2024, 02:39 PM.

Comment

not seen David with a synth pickup on his guitar before. Did he ever use it for anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackstrat View Post
                  not seen David with a synth pickup on his guitar before. Did he ever use it for anything else?
                  He used that same '62V reissue Strat with the Roland synth during the McCartney No More Lonely Night sessions in 1984, but it was not used on that song. I don't think he was ever seen using it again after this Guitar Greats performance, and I don't think he is even using the Roland synth in this clip. The effect in the solo sounds like the MXR pitch transposer in his rack, the same effect he used for the '84 tour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lonely%20Night%20Session_McCartney%20studio%20October%201984.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	364811
                  www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
                  http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Comment

I oftentimes hear Pink Floyd described as “timeless”, and I truly believe that most of the great Floyd stuff is. But the boys didn’t fare as well in the 80s (not many 60s-70s legacy acts did). AMLOR sounds very dated. About Face at times gets very dated sounding. Nothing is quite as bad as Radio KAOS, which is more or less completely unlistenable for me. I don’t like a single song on it.

However, in my opinion the Pros and Cons and Is This the Life We Really Want are timeless in sound quality in a way that David hasn’t pulled off (in this fan’s opinion).

but AF has a handful of truly great tunes. Murder is great, You Know I’m Right is fantastic, Cruise isn’t awful, but suffers from being “of a time”, however above all else “Near the End” could be slotted into great Floyd album and hold its own. In fact, it could easily sit right between Lost for Words and High Hopes and would’ve knocked that album up a peg in my book.

I consider it one of the best 3 or 4 things David did after the dissolution of his partnership with Roger. (High Hopes, Yet Another Movie, Marooned, Near the End…) but I am also pretty critical of much of the solo recordings and post-4 man lineup stuff. Division Bell is alright, Pros and Cons is alright, I guess…, I think half of Is This the Life…is pretty good actually, but the second half of the album is largely dispensable. David’s more recent albums do avoid the more embarrassing moments of some of Roger’s missteps, but they’re so safe and sterile and boring that I cant bring myself to listen to them more than once or twice right after they come out and then put them on the shelf for eternity. I do quite enjoy the Madcap Laughs and Barrett though that’s an entirely different thing altogether, and while a “solo” album, Roger, Rick, and mostly David are also at least partially responsible for them even ever making it to completion, so much less of a singular effort than the others.

I can tell you, I would be more than happy if I never get excited for a “new release” from Roger or David, and end up buying another recording of performances of songs they wrote 50 years ago.

Gilmour’s Floyd having as many live albums as real albums after Roger left. And then Meltdown, Remember that Night, Pompeii, Gdańsk. Both post-split the 2 separate camps both toured playing Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety, Roger has TWO LIVE albums of just the Wall, Plus Us and Them, and In the Flesh or whatever that other live album is. The Dark Side Redux, and half of Pulse being Dark Side of the Moon…I don’t believe I need another live version of “Money” or “Another Brick” ever again.
                    Last edited by j.vavala513@gmail.com; 01-20-2024, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• voices2010
                      voices2010 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Like everything bores you, right? You should open your ears more and dare to listen without judgment, without expecting something. Imagine that we went around the world rating the sound of the forest or the beach.... it would be strange.

• YASHA
                      YASHA commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "Timeless music" is not the kind of music that anyone doesn't like for some reason.

• mccichy
                      mccichy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did you try Broken China by Rick? In my opinion it's the best solo effort by any Floyd Member.

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
                    “I'm not very good with this funky sort of thing,
                    But sometimes, when the inspiration strikes, I can get down with the best of them.”

I nominate the above monologue for the absolute nadir of any Pink Floyd related release, ever. Toe-curling stuff..
                    It's hard to understand
                    Bombarded as we are by hot words
                    Like molecules
                    In an electron microscope
                    Battered from pillar to post

Trade
                    Men in suits
                    Tactics and strategy
                    Barter in the time of love
                    Soft skin
                    A CAT scan slice of life

A flag
                    Any colour you like
                    Blue and yellow
                    Pink
                    Red
                    Black
                    Rainbow?

Yeah
                    Rainbow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=891nldNzmrM
                    And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Comment

• Kit Rae
                      Kit Rae commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think we have a winner.

• A Prick Like You
                      A Prick Like You commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don’t think so.

I went to all 3 of the Hammersmith Odeon shows in 1984. Still got the ticket stubs. I enjoyed them immensely at the time. The first night was a late addition and the place was about two thirds full - I got front row for that one. What is not commonly known is that DG played a second encore on the 3rd night. Most of the crowd had left by then 'cos he made us work hard for it but we were rewarded with a version of I Can't Breathe Anymore from his first solo album.

Comment

Originally posted by floydian1 View Post
                      I went to all 3 of the Hammersmith Odeon shows in 1984. Still got the ticket stubs. I enjoyed them immensely at the time. The first night was a late addition and the place was about two thirds full - I got front row for that one. What is not commonly known is that DG played a second encore on the 3rd night. Most of the crowd had left by then 'cos he made us work hard for it but we were rewarded with a version of I Can't Breathe Anymore from his first solo album.
                      I knew about that rare encore. Not sure if it was only played that one night, but it's really a shame that no pro recordings exist, or I guess they do exist in Gilmour's archives, but it hasn't surfaced
                      I wonder if a petition could make Gilmour Understand that a lot of fans love this tour!!?

Comment

Originally posted by A Prick Like You View Post
                        “I'm not very good with this funky sort of thing,
                        But sometimes, when the inspiration strikes, I can get down with the best of them.”

I nominate the above monologue for the absolute nadir of any Pink Floyd related release, ever. Toe-curling stuff.
                        The best part of it is that it's barely audible in the mix.

I nominate "the fish report with a beat". And a lot of Rog's recent Dark Side thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X