Roger Waters fired his son from his touring band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger Waters fired his son from his touring band

I spotted this today and it was news to me, if it is old news mods please delete.

It was clear he was not on the tour and touring with Les Claypool, but this was news to me.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...cs-1234902203/

https://www.loudersound.com/news/rog...ires-son-harry
    Click image for larger version

Name:	YWnw96N3Qc7xQxGvTidRwB-970-80.jpg.webp
Views:	850
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	363249

Shortly before Christmas 2016, Roger Waters visited his firstborn son, Harry, at his Santa Monica, California, home to deliver some rather bad news. Harry had spent the past 14 years playing keyboard and organ in his dad’s band, which included three extensive world tours, but Roger was making changes for his upcoming Us + Them tour. “I was fired,” Harry tells Rolling Stone. “It was pretty miserable.”

Harry claims he doesn’t know why his own father let him go. “I think he just wanted a change of blood, something new, something fresh,” Waters says. “I’m not sure of his exact reasoning, but everyone except two people [keyboardist Jon Carin and guitarist Dave Kilminster] got fired. But the other guys that got the sack weren’t his son, so it was doubly hurtful for me.”

It would be quite understandable if Harry Waters never wanted to perform his father’s music again after this hurt, but that wasn’t his attitude. He recently wrapped up a 57-date tour with Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade where he played Pink Floyd‘s Animals in its entirety every night with Claypool and Sean Lennon. And shortly before our interview, he agreed to play three shows with Brit Floyd, the world’s premier Pink Floyd cover band, alongside ex-Floyd background singer Durga McBroom and former Floyd saxophonist Scott Page.

“Their manager emailed me just a few days ago and asked if I wanted to sit in on some gigs,” Waters says. “I’ve never met any of them, but I’ll just turn up and play. I’ve been playing this music for 30 years or so. I think we’ll be OK without rehearsal. I think we all know the material pretty well.”
    Last edited by mark2114; 12-20-2023, 01:53 AM.

Originally posted by mark2114 View Post

Harry claims he doesn’t know why his own father let him go. “I think he just wanted a change of blood, something new, something fresh,” Waters says. “I’m not sure of his exact reasoning, but everyone except two people [keyboardist Jon Carin and guitarist Dave Kilminster] got fired. But the other guys that got the sack weren’t his son, so it was doubly hurtful for me.”

When Harry refers to getting sacked, it would imply that they were hired in the first place. But would it not make more sense that musicians are getting hired for a particular tour, including some days/weeks upfront for rehearsals?

I guess it was more a case of 'getting told that you will not be hired for the next tour(s)'

Comment

I think that like Neil Young, Roger Waters' dedication to the music & art is his biggest priority. I don't blame him for shaking things up by shuffling in new personnel. Probably nothing personal.

Comment

I had an opportunity to chat with Harry after the Brit Floyd gig in Ventura and he wasn't too bothered. I've worked with him in his original music project McNally Waters and he's a really nice guy. If you dig Americana blues McNally Waters is worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
        X