Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bob Geldof on The Wall “I don’t like the film. I think I’m really bad....I don’t like the Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Geldof on The Wall “I don’t like the film. I think I’m really bad....I don’t like the Record

This sounds like Geldof must have said before, but it's the first time I have seen it.

////////
    He also didn’t mince words when he talked about his dislike for 1982 musical film Pink Floyd-The Wall, a screening of which he helped to introduce at Camerimage in Torún, Poland, with his friend, cinematographer and Lifetime Achievement Award honoree Peter Biziou. “I don’t like the film. I think I’m really bad. I’m not an actor, and I think it’s like an extended video,” he freely admitted of the Alan Parker film in which he starred. “I don’t think it’s a film, and I think that’s the nature of the exercise. It’s an album by Pink Floyd. I don’t like the record.​
    “I hated making The Wall,” he said, adding, “the only way that I could do the movie was because of Peter [Biziou] because he made it very easy. I was just embarrassed every day by how shit I was.”​
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ge-1235646673/
    Last edited by mark2114; 11-18-2023, 07:14 PM.

Mr. Pink is Bob Geldof

For the rest of life.

It is impossible to argue with this fact
    We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

I gotta be real, not a big fan of the 1982 film either. I couldn't tell you if it's the plot, the cast or direction but I think I'd be confident in saying that Roger would have been a better Pink. I understand that he is not and never was an actor, but I don't think it would be a hard role for him to play. The guy puts all of his emotion into his work, his concerts, his albums, his songs, his beliefs. I really believe he would have worked out fine as Pink. I mean, after all...he literally *is* Pink. The only part I couldn't imagine Roger doing is shaving off his eyebrows.

Geldof has good music and work in his own right, I just don't think he was the right one for the role of Pink. That's just my opinion after trying to see all sides of it and not agreeing with many.
      - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Originally posted by NuffM View Post
        I'd be confident in saying that Roger would have been a better Pink.
        He screen-tested for the role (I suspect it was his intention to play the role from the moment the film was conceived). The most charitable feedback I’ve heard from his audition is thus: “he’s not an actor”.

Comment

It would be interesting to see Roger in the role of Pink. Or one of the professional actors of THOSE TIMES, but now we have no opportunities for comparison.

At least, it would be impossible for me to watch the "modern version" of this film.​

TBS14

Comment

Should have had Alfred Hitchcock direct with Anthony Perkins in the role of Pink dressed as mother singing Mother.

Comment

Geldof is correct in his assessment. Except I do like the album.

Comment

I was of course excited about the film at the time, but I distinctly remember not liking it when I went to see it (yes, I did smuggle in a tape recorder). I still don't like it very much. I loved the album at the time, but it was sort of like a gateway to the other stuff. The Wall is so heavily edited that it's difficult to listen to. I think Bob did a good enough job in the film, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Demamo View Post
                  I was of course excited about the film at the time, but I distinctly remember not liking it when I went to see it (yes, I did smuggle in a tape recorder). I still don't like it very much. I loved the album at the time, but it was sort of like a gateway to the other stuff. The Wall is so heavily edited that it's difficult to listen to. I think Bob did a good enough job in the film, though.
                  You brought a tape recorder into the cinema?? That's pretty awesome lol. Would you perhaps be willing to share that audio somewhere at some point? Would love to hear if there are any crowd reactions to certain moments.
                  - The Pink Floyd Research Group -

Comment

Extended music video is an accurate description but that's what makes it awesome. I think Geldof was great in it and Waters would have been cringe bad.

Comment

I loved the movie when it was released. Must have seen it 20 times at the midnight show over the course of a few years. I thought Geldof was fine and believable. All that said, it feels quite dated now and hard to watch.

Comment

I agree with Bob on the film. Absolutely terrible. For me, if I want to experience The Wall I alwqys go to ITAOT. I find the studio album very stale.

Comment

Originally posted by beeco View Post
                          I agree with Bob on the film. Absolutely terrible. For me, if I want to experience The Wall I alwqys go to ITAOT. I find the studio album very stale.
                          This is not surprising, the album is 44 years old.

TBS14

Comment

Geldof is perfect, and I really love this movie.
                            Roger Waters could have been a good Pink too, but I don't think Alan Parler really want to have him each day on the set....

Comment

I'm kind of with Geldof on this... I don't like the movie, and I don't love the album. If I want to hear Wall material, live is the best way. But honestly, I don't listen to it very often any more. There's just too many wonderful early tours to listen to, and they absolutely blow away the Wall material.
                              Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Working...
                              X