Paris 1970 boot source question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paris 1970 boot source question

Anyone have the scoop on this? Would be nice if it was a new source / the pre-fm recording, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235262696096

Originally posted by lennyif View Post
    Would be nice if it was a new source

Professional remastered for better sound quality

this most likely indicates that the source is an old bootleg

Comment

I wonder what's included in the picture booklet, we sometimes have nice surprises! Looks like they put some effort in the packaging at least

Comment

I would love to hear a high quality version of this show, but my hopes are not high. I’ve seen similar releases to this in HMV and they sadly are not great.

Comment

Interesting.

"• Features the entire original Europe 1"

I suppose this is gonna be JFE's matrix of audience and Radio/FM sources or the thing we want to be true, that'd be the complete SBD recording or at least a complete recording of a complete broadcast.
          If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

Originally posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
            Interesting.

"• Features the entire original Europe 1"

I suppose this is gonna be JFE's matrix of audience and Radio/FM sources or the thing we want to be true, that'd be the complete SBD recording or at least a complete recording of a complete broadcast.
            there is an original Europe 1 but it's an old AM radio broadcast (from the mid-late 70's broadcast); the FM broadcast, truncated (The Violen(t)ce Sequence was heavily edited + The Amazing Pudding were broadcast on FM Europe 2 Musicorama) - Jim did a VIP matrix using audience recording/AM + FM broadcast to reconstruct The Violent Sequence and The Amazing Pudding.
            I think that they also did a show with Nick Mason and David Gilmour earlier in the late 80's (not FM) but they choose to broadcast only "Doing It" if I remember well.

I doubt (I wish I could be wrong) that the pre-FM broadcast would surface on eBay "out of the blue".
            The sad thing is that Europe 2 has the complete show.

And if I'm not wrong, all FM recording from the Musicorama are from the same source (with FM compression) and taped probably by the same taper; (at the time there was some DAT or MiniDisc to record it - but apparently it was recorded by the same taper).
            This was also released (same source) on the label Free Range Pigs (as a compilation of great Floyd broadcasts).

To me it's like an holy grail, not for it's historical content, (this is like the first performance of Atom Heart Mother (Gilmour introducing the song has "we wrote it last week" (on l'a écrit la semaine dernière) but the set-list is tremendous (Main Them From More, etc...) and the performance is jaw dropping.

Comment

There are 14 non-BBC concerts between 1967 that were or were very likely broadcast by various radio stations between 1967 and 1971. For the list and details see pages 234-239 of Ian Priston and Phil Salathé's Pink Floyd BBC Radio 1967-1971 book 😉

Comment

I suspect it's gonna be the JFE's matrix because of the tracklist, it's the complete show, the only complete source is the audience recording, all of the AM and FM sources are incomplete recordings or incomplete broadcasts, so by logic, it's got to be the audience recording, JFE's work or the complete SBD tape. I'd love if this turns out to be a new source to what we already have but experience says it's gonna be a rehash of what we already have. Prove me I'm wrong, I love when that happens and we find something new! I'd buy it in a second if I'd live in a normal country and not where I live.
                Last edited by gotta_be_crazy; 10-24-2023, 12:29 PM.
                If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong. This does not look like a well-known silver b00t label; otherwise we would have got a flyer or announcement at giginjapan.com
                  If I browse quickly all the Pink Floyd CDs sold by the same seller, you can quickly guess the source and content use for each title.

Comment

It does say that it's manufactured in France in the listing. Yeah, I know, boots and the accuracy of the liner notes and production info... but that did give me an inkling of hope that it's something out of the box.

To me, the fact that it's *not* one of the usual Sigma / Godfather (and later re-brandings) made it seem possible that it could be a legit new source. For instance, if someone leaked the pre-fm master, I would doubt they would hand it directly over to one of these high profile labels that would have it out in less than a week with reviews and torrents all over the place shortly after. Too much heat. Might as well put yourself in cuffs and walk yourself to your cell, or at least just quit your job at the station immediately. Anyways. I know it's very wishful thinking. Thanks for all your thoughts on the matter. I am 99.99% it's the JFE restoration, but there's always that bit of unknown before the cd rips start doing the rounds and the community dissects it.

Edit: The fact they namechecked Musicorama in the title and artwork was interesting to me as well... That was the 1995 broadcast that contained only Atom Heart Mother and The Violent Sequence as far as we know (?), yet the notes for this release have the track listing for the entire gig and state that it "Features the entire original Europe 1 Musicorama radio broadcast". Again, likely horses**t, and simply an amalgamation of half truths and random facts about the date, but it does show that the label releasing this title has at least some knowledge of what the recording is, and what it's origins are, etc. So maybe...
                    Last edited by lennyif; 10-25-2023, 03:22 AM.

Comment

That was the kind of thing I used to dream about - I wish I still believe in a miracle like you - a pre-FM source, sold "discreetly" in France via Ebay. But it looks to me that the other item have some custom artworks like if they have repacked with a new artwork some well-known-circulated RoIOs. I live in France, I can try to buy this thing.
                      That said, for instance the VPRO Amsterdam was shared for free (and discreetly to protect the DJ; it was not intended to be sold).
                      Really if something came out of the blue from France, that would be a big surprise for me; generally, new hoarded stuff comes first on vinyl (like the Extraction Tapes) or Japanese label (for the Beatles, Led Zep, etc...)

What does azerty things about this ? are you there ?

They also broadcast a snippet of "Time" (I talked about it at Y!) the previous summer - St Ouen '72; It was RTL FM I think- the podcast is still on their web site; the fact that they have in their archive a complete 72 show just kills me.

Comment

I would guess that it's a simple repackaged rehash of what we already have. If it were in a format something like the Ebay "Genesis" 29-Sep-1978 Venue Sportatorium, Hollywood FL​ reel to reels that popped up a little while ago to the surprise of all of Genesis fans and which actually turned out to be an undiscovered recording, then I may be curious. Ebay has many many entrepreneurs out there trying to drum up some $

Comment

Originally posted by thebrew View Post
                          I would guess that it's a simple repackaged rehash of what we already have. If it were in a format something like the Ebay "Genesis" 29-Sep-1978 Venue Sportatorium, Hollywood FL​ reel to reels that popped up a little while ago to the surprise of all of Genesis fans and which actually turned out to be an undiscovered recording, then I may be curious. Ebay has many many entrepreneurs out there trying to drum up some $
                          yes I have browse the catalogue of the Ebay seller, beside the fact that there are some new artworks (these artworks look nice), all content from other bands and Floyd seems already circulating and silvered... thus, repacked with some new artwork; I even doubt that these are silver CD, perhaps that's CD-R.

Comment

A pity it’s been bought really, I suppose for about £13 it would have been worth a punt, even on the off chance!

Comment

So, I messaged the seller asking for more details on the source and this is the response I received:

“Hi There, from what I understand from the label, it's a new source that has been remastered and restored. I can't verify that as I am not too sure about the other available versions of this out there! All the best!”

Comment

Working...
                              X