X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recordings from THE WALL Live 2010-2013

Hi all,

i have a question because it seriously can't say:

Are there any distinctive differences between the Wall shows from 2010-2013. I mean not in (recording) quality but the show itself?! They are great but they all seem so similar that i just can't say which one i should listen to. Could someone help me out there? Are there any specific show to recommend?

I don't want to start a click-track/lip-sync discussion here, i saw him in Düsseldorf and was overwhelmed by the show, cried the whole time...so this is no criticism of the show, only real interest because i have 30odd shows to choose from and no clue.

Best
    Nils
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

I find that each of the legs vary a bit, but the variations between individual nights is very minimal. Therefore, I like having 1 or 2 of the best recordings from each leg of the tour and that's good enough for me (plus whatever shows I actually attended).

Comment

The show Gilmour visited (May 12th 2011) is partially different, at least. I was there!

Comment

I believe one difference is that the earlier years, such as the show I saw in 2010, did not have the inclusion of the Ballad of Jean Charles de Menezes at the end of ABITW pt2.
        Roger Waters
        - Las Vegas MGM Grand 2010-11-26
        - Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena 2017-06-16
        - Salt Lake City Vivint Arena 2022-09-08

David Gilmour
        - Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl 2016-03-25

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
        - Denver Paramount Theatre 2022-10-20​

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          The show Gilmour visited (May 12th 2011) is partially different, at least. I was there!
          Especially with the change in lyrics!😅

Comment

• ILuvHoney
            ILuvHoney commented
            Editing a comment
            It must be a sign of Gilmour's extraordinary creativity, which he has said was suppressed by Roger when he was in the band, that he managed to improvise on both the lyrics and the first solo on Comfortably Numb for that particular show, or what? 😅

Roger and the band encored with Waltzing Matilda after Outside the Wall on several of the February 2012 Australian shows. Probably not what you’re after as it doesn't add anything to The Wall material itself but interesting if somewhat incongruous.

My go-to video recording is iShoot, iEdit (HRV) filmed mainly 20th September 2010 in Chicago, beautiful multicam and edited together. Whether it's markedly different to other shows, I can’t be sure though.

Comment

Thank you guys!

Best
            Nils

Available here:
            Youtube
            Apple Podcast
            Amazon Music
            Spotify
            Deezer
            Facebook

Comment

The earlier shows tended to have more differences in things like the guitar solos and whatnot, and IRC in the 2010 shows Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 was the extended version from the original tour.
              Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
              Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
              Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
              Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Hi Nils,

Various differences between 2010 and 2013. Obviously musically Brick 2 was extended ala 1980. Some different vocal takes from Rog like Empty Spaces was his lower “Leonard Cohen” voice. Worms had Rog doing David’s parts.

Visually the show evolved as the tour went on, obviously the leather coat Roger wears was updated, then adding the machine gun and I even remember Simon W reporting when Rog shot the gun in Europe that some feathers had fallen down into the audience! Then in summer of 2011 Rog added The Ballad of Jean Charles de Menezes. Then obviously updating the show to fit in stadiums, projections of Roger and band filled out the end bits which were pre recorded segments from Athens I believe. But certain things were filled out more like the Hammers marching throughout the town and various odd bits added to In The Flesh?

I cant think of anything else at the moment if I do ill reply here.
                Last edited by Tony_Floyd; 10-14-2023, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you!

Available here:
                  Youtube
                  Apple Podcast
                  Amazon Music
                  Spotify
                  Deezer
                  Facebook

Comment

Funny, I wanted to open a thread about this tour as well, may I hijack this one? Better than duplicating, I guess

My question is — which VIDEO recording do you guys recommend from this tour? I love the official blu-ray release, but it has many bits from many shows plus all the travelling bits, and I'm curious to see a full concert. Preferrably from the later part of the tour, since I believe the show was a bit more evolved at that point (am I wrong?).

Comment

• Tony_Floyd
                      Tony_Floyd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      iShoot iEdit and Take Me Out To The Wall Game.

• Grilo do Demo
                      Grilo do Demo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you, Tony!

I edited the Manchester 2013 video. This has excellent source material (audio and close ups) with wider shots taken from YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by kieranfunzig View Post
                      I edited the Manchester 2013 video. This has excellent source material (audio and close ups) with wider shots taken from YouTube.
                      Sounds great. Is it available somewhere?

Comment

The show in Chicago that was the source for the "iShoot, iEdit" video has Roger and Wyckoff trading their vocal parts on "Waiting for the Worms". As far as I know, that is the only show where this happened. Kind of odd that they would do that for just one show, but I think it was a great idea because at least we got some more live vocals that way (sorry for bringing it up). Also from one of the last 2011 shows onwards (Berlin?), a coda was added to Another Brick with the Jean Charles de Menezes tribute. During the 2013 shows, Roger would do his speech between the Jean Charles de Menezes ballad and Mother in the native languages of the country they played in, before switching over to English when introducing Mother. From one point during the tour (sometime in 2011? 2012? 2013?) Roger started "snorting" audibly during Nobody Home (after the line "silver spoon on a chain") which he didn't do earlier in the tour. The introduction to Run Like Hell differed from show to show during the 2010 and 2011 shows, but for 2012 and 2013 it was a (likely pre-recorded) introduction that was the same for each show ("ARE THERE ANY PARANOIDS.... IN THE STADIUM TONIGHT? THIS... IS FOR YOU! IT'S CALLED RUN... LIKE... HELL!"). The guitar licks, particularly those played by G.E. Smith, also differed from show to show; among other things, this is evident on Mother. Early shows did not have Roger shooting his "machine gun" at the end of In the Flesh, neither did they have him screaming at the audience during the outro, but that part of the show was added in 2011. Outside the Wall was apparently performed without any clicktrack (sorry for bringing it up) so it differs somewhat in tempo and arrangement; also worth to note is that Roger's vocals on that song were generally lower in the mix during the 2013 shows than during the earlier shows.

As for visual changes there are some more, as the show was updated with stadiums in mind in 2012. The most obvious difference is that the 2012 and 2013 shows featured footage of Roger and the band on the wall for much of the show, unlike 2010 and 2011 when the wall was only used for projections.

There were also incidents of technical failure that led to some unintentional differences. One examples was Oslo 1 May 2011 (there is a poor-quality video recording of that show here, as well as some videos on YouTube) where the hotel room failed to open during Nobody Home, so that song was performed without a hotel room for that particular night, after Roger had spent 15 minutes telling jokes to the audience while the technicians worked in vain in an attempt to fix the issue. There was also one occasion (somewhere in Italy?) when the wall started to fail during Don't Leave Me Now but luckily they managed to get the bricks back in place before it fell down.

Comment

• Skinny12
                          Skinny12 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great, thank you for this detailed analysis!

• daemonspudguy
                          daemonspudguy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think Rog and Rob should have traded vocals on Waiting For The Worms throughout the tour as well, because I think the 2010s Wall tour had some of the best vocal performances from Roger since the Floyd days.
                      Working...
                      X