The Dark Side of The Moon standalone blu-ray audio with Dolby Atmos Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatoldpig View Post
    I ordered from https://www.deepdiscount.com/ $20.99 for blu-ray and $11.99 for CD (free shipping). Cheaper than Amazon USA.
    Thanks! Also if you log in and use code DEEP10 you get an additional 10% off!

Comment

Quick question for those who already have their copy:

Does yours also have the lyrics printed in the wrong order? Lyrics start at page 14 with Great Gig, Money, Us and Them, Any Colour, Eclipse. And the rest of the songs appear only after those. Pages are numbered correctly, but the songs were placed incorrectly.

Comment

• mccichy
        mccichy commented
        Editing a comment
        My copy, bought in Poland, has the same issue with lyrics order.

Mine (bought in Canada) is the same with song lyrics not in the correct order. It doesn't bother me but really speaks to a lack of caring on the quality end of things I think.

Originally posted by ruben77 View Post

Does yours also have the lyrics printed in the wrong order? Lyrics start at page 14 with Great Gig, Money, Us and Them, Any Colour, Eclipse. And the rest of the songs appear only after those. Pages are numbered correctly, but the songs were placed incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by ruben77 View Post

Mine's same too. Do they have any quality control at all? Also, don't like the blu-ray covers.

Comment

The Atmos mix is sublime. I couldn't care less about the booklet. I know the lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
            The Atmos mix is sublime. I couldn't care less about the booklet. I know the lyrics.
            I know the main attraction here is the atmos mix and that's the main reason I got the standalone BD version. Though I don't have an atmos setup at the moment, so can't really say how good it is. But my current 7.1 seup shows as 7.1 TrueHD gives me some idea. I also buy different versions of the same thing mainly for the artwork and other goodies (if any). One example will be the recent Japanese 50th release. They know how to package something. For a landmark release like the 50th, they could have done better. The quality control was very poor, imo.

Comment

Just picked up the stand alone 50th lp yesterday, and I am fairly delighted by it. I of course have other great pressings, but this one is a contender if you ask me. I can see people saying it's the best one in 10 or 20 years in the same way that people talk about the 2003 pressing now. I'm tempted to get another one and leave it sealed just to have.

Comment

I have a friend with an Atmos setup and we listened once and were underwhelmed. But then he realized he had some setting wrong, and once this was corrected we both found the Atmos mix to be excellent. So before you dismiss this mix, make sure it is decoding correctly. Not saying you got it wrong, but my friend is very anal about these things but managed to fluff it the first time, so maybe you had a similar bug if it failed to impress.

Also, the Atmos mix is new and different from the 2013 5.1. If you listen to the Atmos mix in 5.1, it should sound different than the 2013 mix. There has been much debate about the term "folds down" on another forum. My understanding is that the Atmos mix has a 5.1 core with metadata that, when run through an Atmos decoder, redirects certain parts of the mix to the additional speakers. But all the music is there in the 5.1 playback of the Atmos mix, and it is different than the SACD and Immersion 5.1 mixes.

Finally, for me personally, I love the quad mix and would not consider it to be unfinished. If someone wants to call it that, then fine, but in that case I am grateful they did not finish it. I would be curious to hear the results if Alan Parsons were allowed to go back and do whatever else he thought should be done to satisfy his tastes. But I love it as is!

Comment

• jimfisheye
                  jimfisheye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Had the 4 height speakers get muted perhaps? (This is a common thing. Follows the 'copy protection gone wild' strategy. And Atmos is more about requiring decoding than extending surround by 4 channels.) Or a 'dynamic reduction' control? (More properly called "fidelity elimination")
                  Anyway...
                  I set up a 7.1.4 reference system. I HAVE run a test full circle from encoding my own 12 channel mix and decoding it with the Dolby reference player and the output matches the input. (I never trust the brochure!) I'm hearing what I'm supposed to be hearing (for good or bad). All the 12 channel commercial mixes I've heard made sense. Even the more phoned in examples or straight up faux stuff (upmixing and whathaveyou) still made sense as it were. The handful of genuinely accomplished 7.1.4 mixes sound pretty amazing. Speakers are AR9 high resolution series. The downmixing ability of Atmos is intended to be better than older downmix systems. I have absolutely zero interest in how a compromised listen on a lesser system than a mix was made on translates. I'm only interested in the 7.1.4 mixes on a 7.1.4 system.

My comments on this new 12 channel mix stand unfortunately. I agree that the quad sounds unfinished, mind you! I think most quad mixes from back then sound unfinished, frankly. I can just hear some producer saying "Nope, this is done. You can have more time for rework on the stereo mix but no one's ever going to hear this version anyway." It's just that in this case (and many others) the unfinished quad mix is still accomplished far beyond the stereo mix.

Going from stereo to quad or 5.1 is just night and day. Going from 5.1 to 7.1.4 is just another day. It's a really good day! It kind of puts a spotlight on the mix in a competitive way where you have expectations that it better be something truly perfect to warrant the extra channels and powering a few more amps on! No excuses when you have 12 channels to mix into, right?
                  Last edited by jimfisheye; 10-20-2023, 03:57 PM.

Myself - I enjoyed the Atmos mix the one time I heard it correctly. I will say that at this time I cannot afford the entry cost to upgrade to Atmos, so 5.1 and below will have to be enough for me. I don't feel that bad about it, because I have two good friends with Atmos so I have access.

Comment

• jimfisheye
                  jimfisheye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, another 6 matching speakers and 6 channels of amps is no joke! If you like your current speaker array you might want to get on ebay and scare up more of the same model. Going from zero to 100 to start over from scratch would really need to be justified. That's what I did. Stayed with the very same speakers. The software dance with all the spoofing and restrictions to wade through is the bigger challenge.

While there is source debate, I for one, am thankful they have released these mixes.

Comment

I was just thinking that October 2023 seems to have been the busiest for Pink Floyd-related releases since who knows when. In the last few weeks we’ve had

- This DSOTM release
                  - Rick Wright’s Wet Dream reissue
                  - Roger Waters’ new DSOTM Redux
                  - David Gilmour & The Orb’s new Metallic Spheres
                  - Syd Barrett’s complete works box set on Third Man

Granted none of it is really new, but it’s still pretty cool to know we’ve got all this while Beatles devotees are slavishly lining up to buy the same album repackaged again and hyping each other up for one new (inevitably disappointing) song.

Comment

I love the 55 minutes of sonic experimentation on the Blu Ray menu. I don't know if it is the same passage from the box to the separate version

Comment

Originally posted by voices2010 View Post
                      I love the 55 minutes of sonic experimentation on the Blu Ray menu. I don't know if it is the same passage from the box to the separate version
                      there three separate different loop sonics on the Box Blue Ray menu - 3:25 3:00 and 3:00 minutes

it's interesting is it the same ?

Comment

Working...
                      X