No announcement yet.

The Dark Side of The Moon standalone blu-ray audio with Dolby Atmos Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I'm really kind of late to this whole 50th Anniversary release and I know this thread is not about Wembley, but can anyone confirm if the Wembley tracks are the same or different from what was on the DSotM Immersion CD2? I imagine it's the same and a combination of the 15th and 16th but I'd love if this was somehow not the case and maybe it's the full suite from either of those days?
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
      Sorry, I'm really kind of late to this whole 50th Anniversary release and I know this thread is not about Wembley, but can anyone confirm if the Wembley tracks are the same or different from what was on the DSotM Immersion CD2? I imagine it's the same and a combination of the 15th and 16th but I'd love if this was somehow not the case and maybe it's the full suite from either of those days?
      As far as I'm aware, the performance is the same as the immersion set, it was just remastered to make it sound clearer.
      "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

• buffalofloyd
        buffalofloyd commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciated, thanks.

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
      if the Wembley tracks are the same or different from what was on the DSotM Immersion CD2?
      the fact is we have got edited versions of Money and ACYL on vinyl release - 8:40 vs 6:30 and 8:10 vs 6:20 respectively

Comment

• buffalofloyd
        buffalofloyd commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, thanks for that info. I was able to acquire a 24/96 digital download copy of Wembley from a friend and it does match, timing wise, to the Immersion DSotM set. So, I take it that they were edited down for time to fit on the vinyl?

• svaerige
        svaerige commented
        Editing a comment
        yes indeed

in addition they faded out the final applause

Originally posted by MGoBlue1989 View Post

Putting here for confirmation but I believe to be correct:

DSOTM 50th CD and LP - 2023 mix
      Wembley CD and LP - 2023 mix
      5.1 surround - 2003 SACD mix (same as Immersion)
      Atmos - 2023 mix.

I read somewhere the Atmos mix folds down to a 5.1 mix that is different than 2003 but I don't have anything to play the Atmos mix with to confirm... yet.
      This info is not accurate. There is no 2023 mix, it's a remaster unless referring to the new Atmos mix. Of course Atmos folds down to something that sounds different to the other mixes, but this shouldn't be considered to be a new mix. It's like taking the CD and playing it through one of the fake multichannel options on one's receiver. That's not an alternate multichannel mix, it's simply feux processing!

Comment

• MGoBlue1989
        MGoBlue1989 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are correct and I should have said remaster for the CD/LP content. I've edited my post to correct that. Also correct that the Atmos fold down is not a real 5.1 mix but it is different than 2003 SACD if that's the only way one can listen to it which was really the intent of my comment. I've edited that too.

I don't remember where I read it but in a review somewhere, someone was claiming that the Atmos mix is just the 2003 5.1 mix with more channels added on the ceiling and side which really makes no sense because adding anything other than nothing to something changes it which makes it different.

The Atmos mix is not just the 2003 5.1 mix with more channels added on the ceiling. This was a brand new mix starting from scratch to take advantage of this format.
      Last edited by rontoon; 09-02-2023, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Thus far, I have been unable to find a US vendor for the BLU-RAY ATMOS mix. Shipping from the UK vendors is almost as much as the disc $20 shipping and $23 for the Blu-Ray I will be monitoring US sellers but a link to a US vendor would be appreciated.

Comment

how/on what devices could i listen to this new Atmos world that everyone (artists especially) rave so much about?

Comment

Originally posted by Pottel View Post
            how/on what devices could i listen to this new Atmos world that everyone (artists especially) rave so much about?
            With a receiver that can decode Atmos and a minimum of 5.1.2 speakers. I recently took the plunge buying an Onkyo 9.2 receiver and 2 Klipsch in-ceiling speakers.

Comment

Not that anyone would care except me, but I did it. I managed to NOT BUY the redundant 50th anniversary set. I have a good A/V setup so I've been jealous of those with the ATMOS mix, but decided to wait to see if they would issue a standalone version...and in a month and a bit I will have it, saving myself nearly $300. I've given this band way too much money for stuff I either don't want, isn't complete imo, or already own. Those days are done. Give me what I/we want or my wallet stays closed.
              Anyway I'm really looking forward to hearing this new atmos mix, and hope other albums will follow in this format.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilmourisgod View Post
                The Dark Side of The Moon (50th Anniversary Atmos Remix) https://amzn.eu/d/23Akj7Q

its £15.99 now on Amazon uK
                Why UK price is cheaper than USA price (£15.99 = $19.99 but it's priced at $24.98)?

Comment

Originally posted by OAI View Post
                  Not that anyone would care except me, but I did it. I managed to NOT BUY the redundant 50th anniversary set. I have a good A/V setup so I've been jealous of those with the ATMOS mix, but decided to wait to see if they would issue a standalone version...and in a month and a bit I will have it, saving myself nearly $300. I've given this band way too much money for stuff I either don't want, isn't complete imo, or already own. Those days are done. Give me what I/we want or my wallet stays closed.
                  Same for me. I paid 16€ on amazon.fr for the BR and 16€ for de Live CD. I will probably take the book later. Even with the book, we are far from the 200€ or more of the box. The sheet music, I already own it. With the BR, I don't need vinyls...

Anyway I'm really looking forward to hearing this new atmos mix, and hope other albums will follow in this format.
                  I've Larks tongue in aspic from King Krimson on order and I've the Superdeluxe BR with Dolby Atmos version of Tubular Bells and it's gorgeous even if I'm only equipped in 5.1 at this moment.
                  Last edited by thebelgiangnome; 09-10-2023, 02:18 PM.

Comment

On the blu ray is the stereo 96-24 the qusetion is it the 1973 original or 2023 remaster. ??

Comment

I felt really disappointed by this. There's less sound in motion than the stereo mix now and generally poor fidelity overall. The masterpiece that is the original quad surround mix is nowhere to be found on the disc of course. For something that was released in the new 12 channel 7.1.4 format it sure dismisses it! Anyone who spent the time, money, and effort (forgive the puns) to hang 4 speakers from their ceiling for the new extended surround channels with this release in mind will feel insulted. Of course there will be faux 12 channel surround mixes now just like novelty releases in the past but it feels really wrong for this one.

Imagine if they would have made a big deal of this to celebrate surround sound with the new 12 channel mix format! Maybe call in Alan Parsons and give the chance to finish his original surround mix to new standards. Maybe get 2 or 3 different mixes from all the 'big guns' of surround. Put Roger's new weird thing as bonus material - avoiding all the awkwardness around that. Mix that '74 show fully in surround as well in the style of the live performances with all the surround moves and fx in place. Restore the missing opening tape and everything. They could have done something to celebrate surround sound on the level of the original - which is arguably one of the original big releases that led to people buying home systems back in the day. So much that could have been.

Comment

• YASHA
                        YASHA commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In my opinion, at best something "did not grow together".
                        In the worst case.. let's recall the ugly quality of blu-ray discs of one of the box-sets

P.S. By the way, the release of TDSOTM Redux is in favor of the second version.
                        Last edited by YASHA; 10-12-2023, 07:55 PM.

Originally posted by jimfisheye View Post
                      I felt really disappointed by this. There's less sound in motion than the stereo mix now and generally poor fidelity overall. The masterpiece that is the original quad surround mix is nowhere to be found on the disc of course. For something that was released in the new 12 channel 7.1.4 format it sure dismisses it! Anyone who spent the time, money, and effort (forgive the puns) to hang 4 speakers from their ceiling for the new extended surround channels with this release in mind will feel insulted. Of course there will be faux 12 channel surround mixes now just like novelty releases in the past but it feels really wrong for this one.

Imagine if they would have made a big deal of this to celebrate surround sound with the new 12 channel mix format! Maybe call in Alan Parsons and give the chance to finish his original surround mix to new standards. Maybe get 2 or 3 different mixes from all the 'big guns' of surround. Put Roger's new weird thing as bonus material - avoiding all the awkwardness around that. Mix that '74 show fully in surround as well in the style of the live performances with all the surround moves and fx in place. Restore the missing opening tape and everything. They could have done something to celebrate surround sound on the level of the original - which is arguably one of the original big releases that led to people buying home systems back in the day. So much that could have been.
                      Gotta respectfully disagree, Jim. The Atmos mix is sublime and not so much about moving stuff around but rather the placement of the sounds. Not to say that there isn't some very obvious movement at the appropriate times. I'm listening to this on my new 7.1.2 Atmos set up. In regards to the Quad mix, I realize that a lot of folks like it but it's not a good representation. It was thrown together quickly, never approved by the band, and even Alan Parsons has said that's it's pretty slapped together and wasn't finished properly. It's more of an outtake than a true mutichannel release, even though it did appear on Quad albums for a short time in the 70s.

Comment

I ordered from https://www.deepdiscount.com/ $20.99 for blu-ray and $11.99 for CD (free shipping). Cheaper than Amazon USA.

Comment

Working...
                        X