Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metallic Sphere in colour (The Orb feat David Gilmour)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metallic Sphere in colour (The Orb feat David Gilmour)

Just announced on Dave's shop :
    ‘Metallic Spheres’ by The Orb and David Gilmour, the guitar and voice of Pink Floyd, has been reimagined and remixed as ‘Metallic Spheres In Colour.’ Of this new work, producer Youth says ‘The idea for Metallic Spheres In Colour, was that Alex Paterson (founder of The Orb) could have done more on the first version, and he didn't really have the opportunity because we had a philosophy of making the music like the Blade Runner soundtrack meets Wish You Were Here. So, I asked him why don't we remix it and make it like an Orb classic? And in doing that, it's almost like a completely different album.’ ​ -> https://store.davidgilmour.com/produ...p=84222_106288

Click image for larger version

Name:	X3CDDG11.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	356305

Click image for larger version

Name:	X3LPDG04.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	356304

Originally posted by thebelgiangnome View Post
    because we had a philosophy of making the music like the Blade Runner soundtrack meets Wish You Were Here
    Wish You Were Here Redux

ha ha ha

Comment

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/a...m_content=HTML

There seems that there will be atmos and/or 3D60 version (like the original but only in Japan)... Really looking forward this. It is not what Gilmour did the best but I like to give a listen to it from time to time.

Comment

In my opinion, it would be much better to make a remix of the existing horror called "Pink Floyd trance remixes": endless loops, howling in AHM, which kills perception, and so on.
        There are 10 good music tracks here, the rest in my opinion is just awful =(​
        We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Well that is something nobody asked for. If they remove the "Do you believe in justice?" vocal from the mix I might be able to handle a listen.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
            daemonspudguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like Metallic Spheres, but I already like electronic music so I'm biased.

I will have to relisten to this since it’s been a while since I checked out The Orb’s stuff. I was into their early records some time ago. I kind of wish that this record was made at the same time as the Division Bell was being made as it lines up perfectly with that era and that sound. It does tend towards the New Agey tendencies that Orb/Gilmour/latter era Floyd tends towards, but I do have a soft spot for it.
          Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

I'm excited for this.
            Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
            Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
            Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
            Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
              Well that is something nobody asked for. If they remove the "Do you believe in justice?" vocal from the mix I might be able to handle a listen.
              I'm excited for it, but agree about removing those vocals. They were from a charity single for world hunger or something, which is great, but the lyrics for those types of songs are usually very very on the nose, and have like no poetic finesse at all. Clunky and overly direct so that even people who don't really understand how writing or music work can understand the message. Anyway, I otherwise really liked the album. I am drawn to long sprawling vibey things like that, and if it will truly sound like a completely different album, then it should be very interesting. Hopefully more lush rather than sparse.

Will be nice to have this and the Wet Dream remix to enjoy this year. Two releases kind of out of left field after the more inevitable DSOTM 50th, Animals remix, and The Latter Years box.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
                daemonspudguy commented
                Editing a comment
                They came from Dave's cover of Graham Nash's song Chicago, which IIRC Youth, the producer of Metallic Spheres, also helped with.

• lennyif
                lennyif commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, thanks for the correction. Still, the lyrics are pretty flat. Sorry Graham. Like lots of his work otherwise.

• grignr
                grignr commented
                Editing a comment
                I've been a fan of The Orb for 30 years now, but I love them more without lyrics.

Aren't there already two mixes on the original album? How is this necessary? I've listened to this exactly twice. The new one will get once.
              Nobody asked for this. Nobody asked for it to exist in the first place. It wasn't any good, just background noise. Why waste the time working on this? Are they going to make it even more boring?
              Last edited by }{eywood; 09-30-2023, 12:01 PM.

Comment

yes two mixes on the japanese CD : Stereo and 3D60 version which are quite different
                Last edited by thebelgiangnome; 08-14-2023, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Round Side: Seamless Solar Spheres Of Affection Mix Movement 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maC5ExtoTds

Round Side: Seamless Solar Spheres Of Affection Mix Movement 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5OsSRxkmnI

Flat Side: Seamlessly Martian Spheres Of Reflection Mix Movement 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpGVZF-QoUs

Flat Side: Seamlessly Martian Spheres Of reflection Mix Movement 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t591Ltoaw4

Last edited by svaerige; 09-29-2023, 03:44 PM.

Comment

as for me Dark Side Redux is more interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by svaerige View Post
                      as for me Dark Side Redux is more interesting...

I suspect that for me Metallic Spheres in Colour is going to get more plays than the redux, but then I'm a fan of the Orb already.

Comment

• svaerige
                        svaerige commented
                        Editing a comment
                        but not me

the titles of the compositions are idiotic

it’s completely unclear what means Round and Flat Sides ?

what's the difference between seamless and seamlessly ?

what means Solar or Martian Spheres ? (taking into account that Round and Flat Sides already have difference in title)

what means Affection or Reflection Mixes ? (taking into account that both Sides and Spheres already have difference in title)

what means the movements ? and why LP and CD release have not any movements ?

​and what means In Colour eventually ?

pure rave​

Comment

Don’t read too much into it, it’s trippy word salad

Comment

• svaerige
                          svaerige commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ha ha ha ;-)
                      Working...
                      X