So about cassettes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So about cassettes...

So we all know that vinyl (especially bootlegs) are the sexy collectors items and 8-tracks are the weird 3rd step cousin but what about cassettes? I'm getting close to completing my PF cassette collection but was just wondering if there are any I'm missing. I should qualify that I collect US Capitol or UK Harvest releases due to being familiar with them more so than other country releases so there could be ones out there I'm aware of.

Anyway, here's my list of what I know was released officially on cassette:

Studio
    Piper, Saucer, More, Ummagumma, ATM, Meddle, Obscured, DSoTM, WYWH, Animals, Wall, Final Cut, MLoR, Division Bell. Endless River is the only studio album not on CS.

Live
    Delicate, Pulse, Is There Anybody Out There

Compilations
    Zabriskie Point, Master of Rock, Relics, Nice Pair, Collection of GDS, Works, Echoes,

Dave
    David Gilmour, About Face

Rick
    Wet Dream, Broken China, Identity (with Zee)

Nick
    Fictitious Sports, Profiles, (not sure if other Rick Fenn or Michael Mantler collaborations on CS? Do MM ones even qualify as a Nick release?)

Syd
    Madcap, Barrett, Opel, Peel Sessions

Roger
    Pros & Cons, KAOS, Amused to Death, Music from The Body, When the Wind Blows, The Wall Live in Berlin, The Flickering Flame, Dark Side Redux.

Last edited by MrFender; 08-07-2023, 10:52 PM.
    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Yeah... cassettes are just sonically pretty awful. They're ridiculously slow 1 7/8 speed coupled with the narrow tape size and less than optimial shell mechanism are only exacerbated by the horrendous Dolby B that was ubiquitously applied to them in the 70's. I'm all for rare takes and masterings, but cassettes are yecch! Also, the vast majority of commercial cassettes were dubbed at high speed, some as high as 4:1. Really nasty stuff.
    Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon’, Roger Waters announces ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon Redux’, his homage to the original.Waters says ‘when we recorded the stripped down songs for the Lockdown Sessions, the 50th anniversary of the release of The Dark Side Of The Moon was looming on the horizon. It occurred to me that The Dark Side Of The Moon could well be a suitable candidate for a similar re-working, partly as a tribute to the original work, but also to re-address the political and emotional message of the whole album. I discussed it with Gus and Sean, and when we’d stopped giggling and shouting ‘You must be ****ing mad’ at one another we decided to take it on. It’s turned out really great and I’m excited for everyone to hear it. It’s not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable. But it is a way for the seventy nine year old man to look back across the intervening fifty years into the eyes of the twenty nine year old and say, to quote a poem of mine about my Father, “We did our best, we kept his trust, our Dad would have been proud of us”. And also it is a way for me to honor a recording that Nick and Rick and Dave and I have every right to be very proud of.’

Comment

• MrFender
        MrFender commented
        Editing a comment
        Dammit. Had zero interest in that project. Thanks.

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
      Yeah... cassettes are just sonically pretty awful. They're ridiculously slow 1 7/8 speed coupled with the narrow tape size and less than optimial shell mechanism are only exacerbated by the horrendous Dolby B that was ubiquitously applied to them in the 70's. I'm all for rare takes and masterings, but cassettes are yecch! Also, the vast majority of commercial cassettes were dubbed at high speed, some as high as 4:1. Really nasty stuff.
      Did you ever get a chance to listen to some of neonknight's cassette transfers? His transfer of a US 1st edition of Meddle sounds pretty phenomenal.

Comment

• TheGreenStrat
        TheGreenStrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Is this linked anywhere on R&D?

You missed Zee, saw it on cassette once

Comment

You're missing In the Flesh!
        The cassette is the only analog release of that album as well. vinyl was pretty much dead in 2000 so it unfortunately never got a vinyl release.
        how could you miss In the Flesh?

Cassettes are also making sort of a comeback nowadays, and artists are even starting to release new albums on cassette (even in mainstream pop), but I am pretty sure it will not reach levels close to vinyl. It's a niche and will remain so.

Comment

Originally posted by ILuvHoney View Post
          You're missing In the Flesh!
          The cassette is the only analog release of that album as well. vinyl was pretty much dead in 2000 so it unfortunately never got a vinyl release.
          how could you miss In the Flesh?

Cassettes are also making sort of a comeback nowadays, and artists are even starting to release new albums on cassette (even in mainstream pop), but I am pretty sure it will not reach levels close to vinyl. It's a niche and will remain so.
          Another Roger one? Double dang it. Found some on Discogs but $30+.

I agree the sound on them is generally not great and won't make a comeback like vinyl has. Over the last couple of years I've seen piles of cassettes showing up at thrift stores for $.25 or $.50 so it's a cheap collectible. Taken a few to live shows to get autographed and usually they laugh as no one ever asks for those to be signed.
          What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
          PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
          Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
          Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
          Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by Funio View Post

Did you ever get a chance to listen to some of neonknight's cassette transfers? His transfer of a US 1st edition of Meddle sounds pretty phenomenal.
            I wasn't speaking so much about user made / recorded cassettes... those are often really nice. I'm talking about the ones produced by the record companies. Generally they are just awful. Maybe this one is the exception, but for every exception there are a whole lot of stinkers.
            Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Working...
            X