Best version of Hollywood Bowl 72?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best version of Hollywood Bowl 72?

I saw YASHA and NuffM mention that the Hollywood Bowl performance in 1972 had one of the best renditions of One of these Days, so I'm wondering what the best version is for listening.
    Last edited by daemonspudguy; 08-05-2023, 03:49 AM.
    Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
    Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
    Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
    Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Originally posted by jimfisheye View Post
    Yeah, someone rattle my cage when the tracker and torrents are working. Be that here or wherever it lands.
    I have a few emails from Y. I'll email out a link when I finish Hollywood Bowl if there's no 'official' place to torrent yet.

Hoping to see this place or someplace take off though!

I was hoping that one day this version would appear here...
    Has anyone heard from JFE?​

Comment

• daemonspudguy
      daemonspudguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Two of the best RoIO remasterers collaborating to release a Hollywood Bowl project. I didn't even know this was going to be happening.

• TheGreenStrat
      TheGreenStrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Woo hoo! Hollywood 72 is a favorite.

• Valdan_17
      Valdan_17 commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great news!!! Thanks Neon, thanks JFE!!!! Can't wait

JFE was talking about a number of "anniversary" projects this year, including Hollywood Bowl, so that should be ready in about a month and a half. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Love Hollywood Bowl '72, for so many years it was my go to bootleg. So much energy in the second set.
      Can't count the number of times I have put this on through headphones when I have gone to bed after a few beers, made me feel like I was there !

Comment

I wish JFE would contact me. I've gone through every recorder of this show and written down all the flaws in each with the intent of remastering all 5 and making a surround mix

Comment

A legendary show indeed. My only complaint (Ha!) is/are the distant vocals during Celestial Voices. This also happens in the recordings of Santa Monica October ´70 and Carnegie Hall ´72. Did David stay too far away from his microfone?
          Last edited by Anredeon; 08-14-2023, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by }{eywood View Post
            I wish JFE would contact me. I've gone through every recorder of this show and written down all the flaws in each with the intent of remastering all 5 and making a surround mix
            Did you try contacting him? Maybe he doesn't need your help?
            Last edited by rontoon; 08-14-2023, 06:22 PM.

Comment

If two new independent torrents of this show appear in our community, I will be only glad of it. I think many people will support me =)
              We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

We're finished with the music, and currently writing the text file and seeking permissions / blessings where appropriate.

Ron, is this correct and can you add anything please?

Recorder 2 - Donald Carey using borrowed Sony ECM-22P mics and a Sony TC-770 ¼ track recorder, taping at 7½ ips. He returned the equipment and master to Harv Kaslow. Donald was 40-50 feet back, slightly right of dead centre in a box that was no more than three to six boxes deep from the stage. The TC-770's motor was dying.

Comment

The only thing I can add is how much I'm looking forward to this, Ian. Thanks, as always, for your amazing work and dedication!

Comment

Oh nice, can't wait for whatever is coming! One of the quintessential Pink Floyd dates for any super fan
                    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

well, the second set is indeed epic (I still have the 8mm footage in my mind with the fire during Careful with that Axe, Eugene); I had discovered it thanks to HRV and Bowl De Luna (which has some pictures of the 8mm footage (before I discovered it)
                      whilst the drumming is awesome and perfectly captured (the last amazing recording of this show I have heard was this one : 72-09-22 Hollywood Bowl - 90s source - which has an amazing sound quality (it was seeded on Y! in 2021) what really amazed me during this second set is David Gilmour's guitar especially his insane ascendo/cresendo and use of vibrato (while "singin'" a second melody over the guitar solo) on Careful With That Axe Eugene (and the insane One Of These Days (you could tell it's a little grey UFO engine)
                      Boeblingen 72 will be my favorite for Roger's haunting rant during Careful With That Axe, Eugene (Bruxelles is another favorite)

By the way, talking about E.Ts, I think that Sheffield 70 is perhaps the RoIO of the decade (at least for me); JFE did a hell of remastering and the gab between the first release and now, is amazing. It's my favorite show with Electric Factory (for the early Fat Old Sun with an hendrixian guitar solo) : one thing strikes me : during "A Saucerful Of Secrets" we have some crazy sounds (and some raunchy bass) as if our guys have just seen on TV the "Forbidden Planet" with its memorable electronic soundtrack the night before : it sounds as if David could play the music of the lost civilization Krell technology music. I have never heard this on other live performance. And cerise sur le gâteau : a power breakdown in the middle of Celestial Voices and there is a grand piano on stage and Rick plays on piano the arpeggio of "Celestial Voices". Which makes me think of Tangerine Dream's last track on Stratosfear's LP (Invisible Limits - which is, somehow a kind of variation (different chords too) but on piano to Celestial Voices. Really : Fat Old sun this amazing solo, the warm sound of the bass (you can even hear the mediator), and the epic solo of Alan Psychedelic Breakfast; such a set-list! Probably the best '70 show with Théâtre des Champs-Elysées (so sad that the French radio keep it).
                      Last edited by Rupert Pupkin; 08-20-2023, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• daemonspudguy
                        daemonspudguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hearing Roger thrash his bass like that during these 72 shows is always a joy.

About Hollywood Bowl Rec 2

If you take a look at this page you will notice the large amount of [A2]
                      One day, I wanted to know how all these [A2] were articulated. I sometimes have impulses of this kind...
                      While dealing with this date I found in my notes a small document that will interest (perhaps) those who would also like to know...
                      Claims refused for the inevitable errors but suggestions welcome!​

Attached Files

Comment

If Chicago (which have been constantly improved sonically) and the legendary, mythic Rainbow Theatre 72 (which I thought it was a soundboard) are my favorite "Eclipse" set, Hollywood Bowl's early Dark Side is very interesting, notably for this mid-step version of The Great Gig In The Sky with the chord progression of "Whaling Stories" (Procol Harum (1970) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbkAVcAtAw

Comment

Originally posted by Elisto54 View Post
                          About Hollywood Bowl Rec 2

If you take a look at this page you will notice the large amount of [A2]
                          One day, I wanted to know how all these [A2] were articulated. I sometimes have impulses of this kind...
                          While dealing with this date I found in my notes a small document that will interest (perhaps) those who would also like to know...
                          Claims refused for the inevitable errors but suggestions welcome!​
                          This is a very interesting document, thank you!

If there were such a "cheat sheet" in the archives of our community (as far as possible) for each show, it would significantly raise the level of the Pink Floyd World Encyclopedia!

We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Working...
                          X