Animals 2018 remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animals 2018 remix

I had a look but could not find a discussion about this. Is it worth getting? I had read that there were some mistakes made with the vocal and vocoder tracks, can anyone advise what the "problems" are, or whether it's simply a matter of taste?

No problems or mistakes, just creative choices. It's pretty perfect!
    Last edited by rontoon; 07-27-2023, 07:08 PM.

Comment

It's very nice and clear. It definitely sounds cleaner than the original mix and certain elements, especially Rick's keyboard and synth parts, are more pronounced. However, I feel the change in drum sound is too extreme in certain places. The snare in Pigs and Sheep is ridiculous and sounds more like it belongs in the 80's in my opinion. I also hate the middle section of Sheep where you can hear a lot more fret buzz which was kind of covered up in the original.

The original mix still reigns supreme to me. The Blu Ray is definitely worth having for the 24/96 of the original mix and the 5.1 mix which is just cool.

Comment

I prefer the original mix, but the new mix is worth getting, for sure.

Comment

Echoing all of the above - it's a matter of taste but I largely enjoyed the new mix. I I found Pigs (3DO) to be the highlight. Dogs is a neat alternative mix but nothing too special. Sheep is my least favorite as it has a few moments where things are a little too clear and distinct to the point of being a distraction.

All in all it's worth the listen, though - it's a worthy companion to the original mix.

Comment

Its like having 2 different versions of the album as the remix gives a brighter feel.
            As for which is best, I guess it depends on what mood your in at the time.
            Are they the original snare drum parts or have they been added or sampled?

Comment

I no longer listen to the original since the remix has been released. It's been totally replaced in my eyes (or ears). There is an odd bit in Pigs where it sounds like the snare drum is rattling due to the bass guitar being so loud...

Comment

I really enjoy this remix. Rick's contributions really shine and I'm hearing things I hadn't noticed before. I read some reviews where people received bad copies of the vinyl with lots of pops and crackles but mine is nice and clear. Couldn't be happier with it.

Comment

I honestly hate it and will not be listening to it again. The remix really killed the dark mood and flow of the album. It sounds like each track was remixed individually instead of remixed as a full album.

Comment

Originally posted by swanlee View Post
                    I honestly hate it and will not be listening to it again. The remix really killed the dark mood and flow of the album. It sounds like each track was remixed individually instead of remixed as a full album.
                    I have to agree. I listened once, thought, well, that's different, let's listen again knowing what's coming. Still didn't like it. Gave it a couple of days off, gave another listen, and will not be playing it again. I will admit that listening to things one way for 45 years and then having a major changed dropped on you - well, that could color my opinion, I suppose. But in this case I don't think so. I get the feeling of change for the sake of change, and none of it for the better. Another confession - I felt the same way about the new Amused To Death, and, just as I only listen to the original of that album, I will only listen to the original Animals. The DSOTM and WYWH remasters were done beautifully, so this was a real disappointment.

Comment

The algorithm just popped this up in my YT feed. I often agree with this fellow's judgements on prog and classic rock.

Comment

Working...
                      X