Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Floyd - List of Performance Debuts and Final Performance Dates

Greetings all,

I hope this finds everyone doing well. Attached please find a bit of a curious list I compiled a few weeks back for, well, absolutely no reason in particular. Honestly, I am not even sure it has much value, but I found it a fun exercise and figured it might be nice to post it here to see if anyone has any use for it.

Basically, I have tried to list the first and last performance of every PF song that the band ever played live and that we have a record of. That said, the primary source of information was Mr. Povey's The Complete Pink Floyd: The Ultimate Reference. In using this fantastic book it has to be noted that quite a number of the dates listed are from the information we currently have available, and they are subject to change, especially since some of the earliest setlists for their gigs are not even known.

I broke things up into the original line-up and the Gilmour-led Floyd but have purposefully not included solo shows. Also, this is for songs from 1981 and prior...nothing from Lapse or Bell was included.

If anyone has any updates with corroborating evidence please let me know and I will try and keep this thing updated when time permits.

The one thing I had to take an educated guess at is the date for the first performance of Eclipse. Would love it if someone has a legit known date of its first performance.

Best regards,
    Travis
    Attached Files

Cool. One that always puzzled me was Careful being played in 1977. It just seems like a song out of place from the other songs in the setlist. From a different era of the band by that time.
    What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

• DeepCreatures
      DeepCreatures commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree, but glad they did play it in '77 that one time...and that we were lucky enough to have it captured with a great sounding recording!

Cool effort! It'd be cool to see this expanded with earliest and latest known surviving recordings as well.

Comment

• DeepCreatures
      DeepCreatures commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a good idea that I might try and incorporate at some point.

awesome effort. and as mentioned here, great start for further database opportubities!

Comment

awesome effort and as mentioned higher up, great start of further database opportunities
      question, would you be willng to share the original (excel?) so others can work with it?

Comment

• DeepCreatures
        DeepCreatures commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't care one bit to share - drop me a PM.

Off the top of my head I can only think of the more famous examples. Interstellar Overdrive’s final performance was on EDIT: I believe my date was wrong the PDF above is correct or Atom Heart Mother on May 22nd 1972 in Amsterdam.

Speaking of AHM, that final version has some great moments mainly from Dave. One of the coolest things is you get ‘72 era David soloing in Funky Dung. His slide playing in the 2nd part is always great and the little figure he plays coming out of FD into Remergence is really cool. https://youtube.com/watch?v=VBaC30wHQXo&feature=share
      Last edited by TheGreenStrat; 07-28-2023, 09:46 AM.
      Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

Originally posted by DeepCreatures View Post
        If anyone has any updates with corroborating evidence please let me know and I will try and keep this thing updated when time permits.

The one thing I had to take an educated guess at is the date for the first performance of Eclipse. Would love it if someone has a legit known date of its first performance.

Best regards,
        Travis
        Around 10 paragraphs into this 2022 updated Classic Rock article, Roger recollects their first live performance of Eclipse, although despite being from the horse's mouth, it does seem remarkable that he was able to accurately recall the specific date and venue...

Not to be deterred, Floyd continued on their tour well into February, playing Dark Side Of The Moon in a nascent stage of completion by this point. "The actual song, Eclipse, wasn’t performed live until Bristol Colston Hall, on February 5," says Waters. "I can remember one afternoon rolling up and saying: “I’ve written an ending.” Which was what’s now called Eclipse, or Dark Side. So that's when we started performing the piece called Eclipse. It probably did have Brain Damage, but it didn’t have ‘All that you touch, all that you see, all that you taste.’

Comment

• DeepCreatures
          DeepCreatures commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! Update the spreadsheet and will post it soon.
      Working...
      X