Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spoken word samples during BD / Eclipse during '72 shows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoken word samples during BD / Eclipse during '72 shows?

I've been trying to figure out the samples that were played during Brain Damage and Eclipse during the '72 shows.

During Eclipse, there's a clear sample of the Apollo 8 Christmas Eve message, which was used from Eclipse's introduction through the rest of 1972:

... for all the people back on earth, the crew of Apollo 8 have a message that we would like to send to you. "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void;
    And also in the 1972-02-20 rec 2 (1st gen by Lord Snooty) recording there's a clear sample of

Get the gun, get the gun, get the gun. Look, stay away from the gun. Stay away from the gun. His hand is frozen. Get his thumb
    Which is from the RFK assasination. (played during the line "and all that you slight and everyone you fight") This is the only date where I hear that sample -- either it's buried in the azimuth in other recordings, or (more likely) the band changed their mind and decided to not use it.

There's at least one more sample that I can't place though. I can't make out many words, but can tell at least that it's there during most of '72, definitely in the Japan and US dates. It sounds like two people speaking and the two best recordings of it that I found are (1) the 02-20 "best of tour" boot where some of the words are clear:

(voice 1, deep-voiced American man, possibly African American?): "I recognize..." "I (read?)"
    (voice 2, higher-pitched male voice, sounds like a Southern United States accent?): "United States"? ... "You (can walk the streets of)? any section of Washington DC anytime, and I will (make that?)" ... "(miles?)" ... "washington"
    and (2) 1972-11-14 rec1, where the words aren't clear but the cadence of the speech is clearer than usual.

Anyone know that last one is? Googling for combos of Apollo 8 / DSOTM / RFK didn't turn up anything useful, so I don't know if this has been covered before.
    Last edited by grignr; 07-26-2023, 10:18 PM.

Some of it is a bit clearer in 1972-02-20 recorder 3. A Google Books search suggests it's from a speech by Alabama governor and horrific racist George Wallace, giving the text as: "And I can tell you that if I were president of the United States you could walk on the streets in any section of Washington, D. C., at any time. I would make this possible if I had to bring 30,000 troops to Washington and put one​ every five feet apart with a three-foot bayonet on the end of a rifle​."

Comment

Working...
    X