Tonite Let's All Make Love In London differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonite Let's All Make Love In London differences

I have been off work for a few weeks and have been using the time to organize all of the Pink Floyd videos I've downloaded over the years. In the process, I came across something that I had not noticed before regarding TLAMLIL film versions available on the tracker. I'd always thought the difference was due to commercials or whatever from the TV broadcast but I was wrong. There are significant differences in content between the 1980s broadcast VHS transfer (CCE338 version) and the Japanese Laserdisc transfer (POTWDVD026 version) with the VHS transfer having 9 minutes more content than the Laserdisc as follows:

- longer interview with brunette about sex and marriage before Edna O'Brien interview (~ 50 seconds)
    - longer silent footage after Rolling Stones "Lady Jane" (~ 5 seconds)
    - longer David Hockney interview (~ 2 minutes)
    - longer Victor Lownes interview (~ 10 seconds)
    - longer street musician footage after Lee Marvin interview including an interview with Donyale Luna (~ 2 minutes)
    - longer Interstellar Overdrive (reprise 2) with HAPPyEND title graphic prior to Alan Ginsberg poetry reading (~ 3 minutes 30 seconds)​

Just wanted to point this out so everyone could grab both versions if desired.
    Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 07-05-2023, 08:04 PM.

Thanks for chronicling your astute observations of the differences. I wouldn't have thought there would be so many. So far, I've seen only what's on the DVD that came with the 'London 1966/1967' CD & DVD bundle (Snapper Music KSCOPE312) that I bought in 2020. I'll definitely check out the VHS version.

Glad you have found something Pink Floyd-related to do while you're away from work. Enjoy!

Comment

Many, many years ago, I picked up this sampler for the movie:​

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230707_072444.png
Views:	338
Size:	864.5 KB
ID:	354384

Interstellar is listed as 16:46 and Nick's Boogie at 11:50. How do these compare to the versions you looked at?
      What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by David S CA View Post
        Thanks for chronicling your astute observations of the differences. I wouldn't have thought there would be so many. So far, I've seen only what's on the DVD that came with the 'London 1966/1967' CD & DVD bundle (Snapper Music KSCOPE312) that I bought in 2020. I'll definitely check out the VHS version.

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230707_072444.png Views:	0 Size:	864.5 KB ID:	354384

Interstellar is listed as 16:46 and Nick's Boogie at 11:50. How do these compare to the versions you looked at?
        These ("London 66/67" and "TLAMLIL... plus") are completely different from the VHS and Laserdisc releases I mentioned and linked. These are promo samplers that started being released in the 1990s and while they do have the full length videos of IO and Nick's Boogie, they are not the same thing as the actual film that was released in 1967. That film has 4 snippets of IO totaling 9-10 minutes, some of which is repeated content. There are 7 parts to the film, all showing different aspects of Swinging London. The Laserdisc version comes in around 56 min and the VHS copy off of TV comes in around 65 minutes. I always assumed that the differences in time were due to commercials captured from the TV broadcast but I was very much wrong; there is actually content differences. If you haven't seen the film, I highly recommend downloading the torrents I linked. All will be much clearer then.

EDIT: The Snapper DVD looks like it MAY have the full film version according to a review I saw online but I've not seen it to know for sure. They reference "entire film" but it's not clear if they meant full length videos of IO and Nick's Boogie or the actual film. What is the run time??
        Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 07-07-2023, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I'm very happy that my old archive is still paying off... I will resume transferring layer this year as I still have a few things that are not on the internet yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CCE338 View Post
            I'm very happy that my old archive is still paying off... I will resume transferring layer this year as I still have a few things that are not on the internet yet.
            I used to own a copy of the Laserdisc but no player. I took it to a friend's house that had a player and ran off a couple VHS of it back in the day and was stoked when I saw the POTW DVD transfer some years later. It was the only version of the actual film I had seen before I found your version. When I put yours on again, I found myself saying "I don't remember this part at all..." so decided to do a comparsion. So yes, your archive was quite useful, at least to me.

Comment

just note that we have two edited audio mix versions of IO and Nick's Boogie

Interstellar Overdrive - edited soundtrack mix for 1995 promo video - 3:05

Nick's Boogie - edited soundtrack mix for 2016 The Early Years release - 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230707_072444.png
Views:	338
Size:	864.5 KB
ID:	354384

Woah, flashback. This was, I believe, the first Pink Floyd CD I ever bought.

Comment

Working...
                X