The WORST Floyd Performances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

I don't know, these are two of my favorite. Maybe it's because the recordings have such good sound? Can't really stand to listen to distant/tinny/etc recordings and it may color my perception of their actual performance.
    Yeah, to dismiss KQED as an abbreviated non-representative version of 1970's shows would be like dismissing Pompeii for 1971. I personally love both of these two (and Montreux as well).
    Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
      Well, you're mistaken. Paul Loasby was in charge and hired an archive team for video and audio preservation. Both David and Nick were brought in after the fact for approvals, as was Roger.
      Okay I stand corrected. But still something doesn’t add up. Where the band is okay with the various Early Years deficiencies (John Latham nonsense, poor sound quality on many tracks, missing vocals, and out of tune vocals on Man & The Journey); yet we we still can’t get an open-air mix Animals show. I don’t get it.

Comment

The vocal performances in general from 1974 - 1977 get a nomination for me. None of them sang particularly well live in this era for some reason.

San Tropez 1970 is kind of unlistenable for me, though that may be more down to the unstable, off camera mix.

Echoes from Montreux 1971 is a bit of a mess with David's tuning issues... somehow, I still enjoy it.

I think M-502 and Rotterdam 1971 are very over-rated in general. There's high points in those for me of course.

Stockholm 1967 really illustrates the band's musical limitations as well as lack of PA power. I get no joy from that one at all beyond the opening jam.

The French 1974 shows are recorded pretty badly, but from what I can make out while forgiving that, they sounded like a shell of their former selves compared to Earls Court 1973.

Interstellar Overdrive with Zappa is laughable to me, mostly due to Zappa, unfortunately.

Comment

I don't like the Knebworth 1990 performance. It wasn't particularly terrible, but it wasn't specially great either.

Comment

Much as I love the live performances of Atom Heart Mother with brass and choir, the premier of the piece (with b&c) at Bath in June 1970 is very ropey. A poor beginning and towards the end the whole piece grinds to a bizarre halt for over two minutes before resuming. Some of the blame perhaps lies with the brass section rather than the band but the overall result is somewhat clunky.

This early groundwork was perhaps necessary for it to evolve into the wonderful version of the piece less than a month later for the BBC Radio In Concert, so I’m not denigrating the performance for being 'worst' but rather as 'poor but a means to an end'.

Comment

• Simond
              Simond commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree, but about 03:00 in the morning 🤔

Originally posted by rontoon View Post
            Well, you're mistaken. Paul Loasby was in charge and hired an archive team for video and audio preservation. Both David and Nick were brought in after the fact for approvals, as was Roger.
            Would this effort have been put in without some idea that at least 1 member would be enthusiastic about it?

Comment

I never liked the BBC '71 performance, like they were nervous, a bit like KQED 1970 as someone stated. Then the year 1974 is just wrong, all wrong. That tour should never have happened. And 1977, I love Animals but, a big BUT, they could never get it right on live shows. There's something off with Nick on that tour and the whole thing doesn't sound as Floyd. I won't speak from 1987-1994 by that time they were just another profesional band pressing play on the CD player.
              If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

• CarefulWithThatAxe1472
                CarefulWithThatAxe1472 commented
                Editing a comment
                I personally enjoy the 74 performances, especially the full concert at Wembley. What don't you like about it?

Originally posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
              ... I won't speak from 1987-1994 by that time they were just another profesional band pressing play on the CD player.
              Hey now. Let's set the record straight.

Another profesional band pressing play on the CD player with a hellacious coke habit AND light show. 😄
              What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
              PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
              Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
              Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
              Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

"The Narrow Way" - 1969 Concertgebouw always makes me smile when I play it. Even though Dave is off pitch it's a wonderful human moment. I sing along with it and try my best to fill in the correct pitch

Comment

Originally posted by Hallucalation View Post
                  Not fond of their Syd-less live versions of Interstellar Overdrive. They ruined that powerful riff and generally didn't know what to do with that song. It is completely lacking any power and drive without Syd on stage.
                  I´m fond of every version; with Syd there is a punk attitude to it, or even a jazz one, like they don´t care where they´re going as long as it flows.

With Gilmour everything becomes sort of symphonic; now they do care where and how it´s going. More or less of course. But I prefer the Gilmour IOnes; they are spacey, dreamy and melancholic. That is what I love in Floyds Music.

Comment

Originally posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
                    I never liked the BBC '71 performance, like they were nervous, a bit like KQED 1970 as someone stated. Then the year 1974 is just wrong, all wrong. That tour should never have happened. And 1977, I love Animals but, a big BUT, they could never get it right on live shows. There's something off with Nick on that tour and the whole thing doesn't sound as Floyd. I won't speak from 1987-1994 by that time they were just another profesional band pressing play on the CD player.
                    Ah the first one who doesn´t like BBC´71? Could be that they were nervous for some reasons. Wheren´t there some restarts as well?
                    I partly understand the 1974 statement as the British Winter Tour have completely different vibes compared to before and after this. Unsettling could be the word. I sensed that from the beginning. But still better this Tour than nothing at all. There were some good shows as well.
                    But no love for the French Tour? They seemed very comfortable there, judging photos from this time. And I adore these shows. Very underrated.

Comment

I still didn´t add something to the threadtheme itself so I just write from the stomach; I never really could enjoy the Crystal Palace Show from 1971, it should be a big happening but somehow the vibes are not quite there, it´s raining, some poor fishes are dying, the band seems not that inspired even with the Londonpremiere of Echoes. Obviously if there could be a better (and complete) recording, my perspective of it could be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by sb33334 View Post

Would this effort have been put in without some idea that at least 1 member would be enthusiastic about it?
                        They all had to approve it, their level of enthusiasm was never a factor. My original response was in regards to the comment that Nick produced this. They're given options and ultimately chose what stays and what goes.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post

Okay I stand corrected. But still something doesn’t add up. Where the band is okay with the various Early Years deficiencies (John Latham nonsense, poor sound quality on many tracks, missing vocals, and out of tune vocals on Man & The Journey); yet we we still can’t get an open-air mix Animals show. I don’t get it.
                          It comes down to the way that the different eras are represented. Low fidelity recordings from their earliest days seem to be acceptable compared to their classic and later years.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrew View Post
                            "The Narrow Way" - 1969 Concertgebouw always makes me smile when I play it. Even though Dave is off pitch it's a wonderful human moment. I sing along with it and try my best to fill in the correct pitch
                            You know, David could have used some help kind of like what you do in the car. Rick could have sang a low harmony on the chorus, and David would have then been able to sing the higher part in falsetto without having to worry about projecting his voice and straining so much. I guess the idea just did not come to them, but it seems like an obvious solution in hindsight.

Comment

Working...
                            X