Royal Albert Hall February 7, 1970

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Albert Hall February 7, 1970

​I'm quite intrigued by the band's early 1970 appearance at the Albert Hall in London. Firstly, there used to be a large album of photographs from this concert on the Repfoto website. These have since been removed, but a few copies exist in other places.

These photos showed that the band had a cubic frame erected around the drum kit onstage. The band's regular touring gong is set up on the stage, but is joined by two additional frames containing an array of smaller gongs. This setup isn't replicated at any other show as far as I've been able to find out.

The set list for this concert survives, and features both Main Theme and Sysyphus alongside more conventional tunes for the era. This raises the question, was this gig taped? It seems likely that 'The Pink Floyd' would be taped in some capacity playing a home gig, as their 1969 Albert Hall appearance was taped and their Hyde Park appearance in 1970 was also taped. If not, how does such a detailed set list survive?

I'm curious partly because the tape would reveal how these additional gongs were worked into the set, or otherwise. It might also be one of the last gigs to feature the white Stratocaster and Precision bass seen on the back cover of Ummagumma.
    Attached Files

Interesting. I saw them the following night in Manchester and they definitely didn't have all that extra stuff on stage.

Comment

Very interesting indeed - wish I could bring something to the table to help. Hopefully someone knows something!

Comment

Working...
      X