RW - Hot Take #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RW - Hot Take #1

What is a Hot Take? A Hot Take is a bold, maybe even stupid or super smart claim which can be voted for (or against) but -of course- dicussed about!

So, Hot Take #1

Roger Waters should re-release all Pink Floyd Albums as a Waters-Only edition.
    1 - Please no!
    58.23%
    2 - Why should he?
    12.66%
    3 - I don't give a dang about Roger
    7.59%
    4 - Could be exciting
    17.72%
    5 - Finally, please!!
    3.80%
    FINGALβ€˜S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

Voted "Please no!" but part of me thinks it could be amusing in a car crash kinda way...πŸ˜†

Comment

The perception will be easier if you treat these new releases as cover versions.

If you forget about the money from sales :rolleyes:
      Last edited by YASHA; 02-25-2023, 09:18 PM.
      We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

hahahah ...great question... almost a threat !!!

Comment

Maybe the other way round. Roger Waters should let Pink Floyd cover his solo albums. I know which I would prefer.

Comment

I've said it before and I will say it again; if Waters went back to Pros and Cons/KAOS and did remixes/reimaginings of both, I'd be far more interested in those than Floydless Floyd albums.
            Go Fishing, My Boy...

Comment

• TheMoebLoop
              TheMoebLoop commented
              Editing a comment
              Right - now that would be a release which makes sense, at last. We could have a box with the original version remixed by Guthrie, the complete demos he presented to Pink Floyd, a reimagining produced by Godrich or whoever is his preferred producer these days, and a DVD containing the complete 1984-1985 tour backdrops; add in also a nice, glossy book documenting the tour.

What ever he thinks, RW is not Pink Floyd. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Comment

so, a drum and bass album, with occasional vocal passages?! he could do all the old david vocals, to the best of his current ability, i guess. the "whisper" remixes!

he could also just have that jon carin fellow play everything along to nick's drum parts...
              ...Raving and Drooling I fell on my Arse with a Squelch...

Comment

I must be in the minority but I really like the way Roger reworks the old songs.

I've heard the originals so many times that it's novel & interesting to have these variants. For example the new Comfortably Numb will never replace the original, but I do enjoy hearing something I haven't heard 100 times already.

To put it a different way... the DSOTM 50th box set appears to have absolutely nothing new on it -- looks like a subset of Immersion at a higher price. Props to Rog for at least doing something interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by grignr View Post
                  I must be in the minority but I really like the way Roger reworks the old songs.

I've heard the originals so many times that it's novel & interesting to have these variants. For example the new Comfortably Numb will never replace the original, but I do enjoy hearing something I haven't heard 100 times already.

To put it a different way... the DSOTM 50th box set appears to have absolutely nothing new on it -- looks like a subset of Immersion at a higher price. Props to Rog for at least doing something interesting.
                  You are not alone with that sentiment. I don't get the hate Roger has been getting with his reworks of older Floyd material. Especially anyone who says he's trying to replace the originals. If that were the case, he could take the originals down because he owns them.
                  Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                  Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                  Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                  Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Roger can do whatever he wants...and he sure is interesting and a pleasure to listen to.

But, in my opinion, his version of "Comfortably Numb" without the solos... is not "Comfortably Numb". That he calls it "Comfotably Numb Part II".
                    You may think you are too intimate. That time passes and things change. Yes, but soccer is played with a ball... and his version is another game, but it's not soccer. That is already invented.

If he wants to play so much, let him make a version of Pompeii.
                    What would Echoes sound like? ASOS?... ugh... can you imagine removing the guitar from "Shine On"?
                    πŸ™„

With all due respect to the rest of the opinions !!! (and I repeat... if Roger did it, I would listen to it with great pleasure... but it wouldn't be the same game)

Let's not compare "apples with oranges"
                    😊

​

Comment

A version of Shine On without the guitar wouldn't be too different in concept from that time Dave performed a version of Shine On without the other main instrument in that piece, Rick's keyboards. I actually think a version of Echoes without guitar could be interesting, if only as a novelty.

Comment

• tiwaz10
                        tiwaz10 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you remember the DG version he is using a stereo/pan pedal on which he can on the one hand play Rick's G accompaniment (with a nice reverb and delay) and solo at the same time. The structure and main winks are there.
                        I do not doubt that Roger does it will be worth listening to!
                        But let's not compare Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" with Roger Waters' "Comfortably Numb" on tour... It's already made up... Top 10 best solos ever and I take them off... yes... you can do that whatever you want...but it's not "Comfortably Numb". It's another game. " Echoes without guitar could be interesting". Maybe... and if Roger does a reggeton with CWTAE too...

• daemonspudguy
                        daemonspudguy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I did say "only as a novelty" for a reason, there.

I posted this thought on Y but I'll repeat it here.

Imagine a 50th anniversary edition of DSOTM that has engineers like Guthrie, Jackson, Parsons, and perhaps a newcomer like Wilson turning in new surround mixes with the extended 7.1.4 format that adds a quad system to your ceiling to celebrate the original surround sound album that put surround sound into a lot of homes. Make new mixes that push the creative envelope and make something that requires the additional channels. Perhaps include multiple mixes! And then a great bonus feature could be Roger's new take on the album. It would fit right into the package and concept without a hint of awkwardness. And of course work up a live show with as much quad content and mix moves from the original show as possible to pull off.

You know, instead of a rehashed version of the less surround, more stereo 2003 remix and a fully faux use of the extended 7.1.4 format? And Roger embarrassing himself like this?

But that wasn't the question! Roger will tour his new DSOTM and then he will redo the Wall next. And probably tour that then. He follows the mainstream Floyd audience now and they only know DSOTM, the track WYWH, and "that song about school". So that's what he's going to do.

Comment

I don't even know what you're on about there. As someone who went to the tour date in Columbus, Ohio, I can say from firsthand experience that a good chunk of the show would be entirely unfamiliar to the "mainstream Floyd audience" that "only knows DSOTM, the track WYWH, and 'that song about school.'" Unless songs like Sheep, The Powers That Be, Is This The Life We Really Want, Two Suns In The Sunset, Deja Vu, and The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range somehow fit into that definition.

Comment

Be more interested in a TEY, discovery or immersion style deep dive on his solo material and early projects tbf. Seabirds anyone? Would love to hear the full demos/outakes from The Body, P&C, WTWB, KAOS, ATD etc however.

I really like the recent reworkings, they fit the time, mood and my age nicely right now, going to see him in Brum soon & looking forward to getting fully immersed in them... Wasn't too keen on the medley style reworks on P&C and KAOS tours at the time but they grew on me, Paul Carrack could sing the telephone directory and make it sound cool imo :p

Rex.

Comment

Working...
                          X