Pink Floyd AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frankymole View Post

There's a famous bit from the Abbey Road interviews where Roger Waters is responding to the accusations that the band get the machines to do all the work. His point is that the machines aren't capable of any creativity, it has to exist in the musician's heads first as an idea, and they select its final recorded form too. So, there's that.
    Makes perfect sense to me. I believe David Gilmour mades similar comments, during the Live At Pompei film. 50 plus years, never mind AI, humans have not been able to create Pink Floyd "like" music. There is a reason for that. Not everything can be repeated, or recreated. We are blessed to have lived in a time where Pink Floyd existed. I wish I was older in the 70's, but thankful for what I have been able to witness live. Experiencing the music live has made the songs more meaningful, and impactful. Hence my forum name. Hearing certain songs can be like a flashback to a wonderful live experience.

Now, saying all that, I am speaking as a 55 yr old. I can understand young fans who have not seen a live show, or even experienced the excitement of a new Pink Floyd album. The future is theirs, and AI will probably have a massive impact on their entertainment.

But for now, I remain old man yelling at (obscured) cloud guy.
    Last edited by FloydFlashback; 05-23-2023, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydFlashback View Post
      But it won't be Pink Floyd. No soul, not art. Hard pass for me.
      It won't be but there never will be another Floyd. It maybe the closest to it if the technology gets good. We will see, music nowadays is very very computerized anyways so its headed in that direction anyways.

What the most intriguing part will be the ability to transform a bootleg into a live video concert. That will be eventually possible. The notes that Gilmour or whoever plays on the bootleg will be shown live exactly like it.

Comment

Now, saying all that, I am speaking as a 55 yr old. I can understand young fans who have not seen a live show, or even experienced the excitement of a new Pink Floyd album. The future is theirs, and AI will probably have a massive impact on their entertainment.
        I can't wait to go to an AI concert. What will it be like?

Comment

It may be amazing or it may be awful. Most likely it will be somewhere in between. But it won't be Floyd... that's okay.
          Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Er, apologies for sparkly link but if this were Floyd I’d be there in a shot

https://youtu.be/iEikjzZO2N8

As you may have read elsewhere, this has been playing now to rave reviews for over a year and gives some indication of what AI involvement can achieve. Granted, the Floyd are never going to go through the rigmarole that was required to produce this but the end result is impressive.
            Harvey Goldsmith touched on it in his podcast episode with Guy and Gary saying it cost over a million dollars a minute to produce.

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
              It may be amazing or it may be awful. Most likely it will be somewhere in between. But it won't be Floyd... that's okay.
              Yep, if anything for a case of all new PF AI inspired music think of it like a REALLY good PF cover band that has decided to do some OG work with heavy PF inspiration. In real life terms the Band "Fragile" used to be a touring Yes cover band, then when the pandemic hit they made two original albums much in the style of Yes but it was all new and both albums are just freaking amazing and I'm glad to have them. You can consider it a very similar situation with trained AI on a band when asked to come up with original songs/lyrics/melodies etc. in that bands style.

What is probably more likely very soon is using AI to repair/fix recordings like the mentioned Stockhom 67 show where the vocal mic's were not picked up and the entire show had no vocals or like the Vpro Celestial Voices show with no vocals. Syd and Rick have passed away so the next best thing is to train AI on their speaking voice and singing voice and have it sing the lyrics to the songs and splice that back into the recording.

Bands touch up live recordings all the time, in fact Nick rerecorded all his Bass drum hits for the Wembley 1974 show not long before it was released during the immersion campaign because the OG recoding did not pick it up. I'm using AI programs right now for my own mono to Stereo conversion where AI is used to split out discrete vocal/instrument tracks from a mono source so they can be remixed in stereo. That is freaking magic compared to what you were stuck with doing not more then 5 years ago.

AI is going to be very handy and already is in giving us material never thought possible even if it does not go as far as recreating anything or making things up in a particular style but when it is able to it will still be cool to hear.
              Last edited by swanlee; 05-23-2023, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creamcheese View Post
                There was something about use of machines, that is always to maximize profits: Do you really think they introduced the VCS3 to maximize profits???
                I didn't mean PF specifically, but in many cases it was exactly that. On purpose, or not - it doesn't matter anymore. That's what we know by heart.

Machine (VCS 3) makes the sounds of another, ruthless machine, emphasizes the inhumanity of what is happening and very convincingly (WTTM).

You can try to imagine the beginning of "Money" without machine sounds - it's not the same at all! The audience at concerts at these sounds literally falls into ecstasy: Now! We're going to hear it now!!!

I'm not going to argue and prove: this is my little point of view =)​
                Last edited by YASHA; 05-23-2023, 05:22 PM.
                We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Originally posted by swanlee View Post
                  PF cover band that has decided to do some OG work with heavy PF inspiration.
                  The Norwegian band Airbag did just that. At least their first 2-3 albums are great in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post

The Norwegian band Airbag did just that. At least their first 2-3 albums are great in my opinion.
                    Cool, I'll check them out

Comment

It seems there are 2 bands called Airbag. One is an Argentinian hard rock band. What the heck, I'll check them both out.

Comment

But it won't be Pink Floyd. No soul, not art. Hard pass for me.
                        same shit they claimed about vinyl. this sentiment is going to be irrelevant in even less time

Comment

Working...
                        X