Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PF live recordings that are not necessarily the best quality but are evocative and enjoyable in other ways.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PF live recordings that are not necessarily the best quality but are evocative and enjoyable in other ways.

I was wondering if anyone felt the same because one thing I've realised from the years of collecting PF recordings is that I really enjoy some recordings that are roomy, in a way that I can picture the surroundings, they don't have to be super high fidelity, it does help if they are stereo, however.

For instance, checking out photos online of certain venues, places like the old Wembley Empire Pool, and then listening to 'Little Lambs Eat Ivy' and imagining what it felt like to be in that big room.

If a ROIO has a bit of lead-up time before the music starts, even better to hear the murmuring, distant yells, and whoops.

Also, the crowd ambience from outdoor recordings can be interesting too, things like Crystal Palace the combination of distance, the weather, the surrounding chatter, and an underperforming late 60s PA system are all super evocative.

The first few minutes of the recent Ivor Wynne footage really sent me into a tailspin, about the closest thing most of us will ever get to the feeling of being there.

What say you?

Originally posted by Softdog View Post
    ... even better to hear the murmuring, distant yells, and whoops...
    brrrrrrrr - it's horrible - especially if overdubbed on IEM recordings

Comment

To me it’s Rec3 from Boston 77. SOYCD 6-9 were Hopkins seems to get busted! And we are in the center of the inferno…

Plus NY 1970, the chatter of the girl…
      FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
      Youtube
      Apple Podcast
      Amazon Music
      Spotify
      Deezer
      Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny12 View Post
        To me it’s Rec3 from Boston 77. SOYCD 6-9 were Hopkins seems to get busted! And we are in the center of the inferno…
        Yes, I particularly like that recorder! There's something about it that, just as you say, makes me feel like I'm in the thick of it. Also very fond of 1972-09-22 R5.

I agree with Softdog -- In recent years I've really come to appreciate the importance of stereo in feeling like you're "there". Matrixes of 1971-10-31, 1970-03-14, and other shows transform the experience from a theoretical one to a visceral one: you can close your eyes and almost imagine that you are, instead, at the show with your eyes closed (i.e. allowing yourself to believe that, if you opened them, the band would be right there).

For a while I wondered why I was fond of some of those March 1972 Japanese shows and, in addition to their mellow quality, I think that's a factor as well.

That said some of my favorite recordings are the otherworldly mono ones in mediocre to terrible quality, like Afan Lido 1969-12-06, Chesterfield 1969-03-27, Birmingham 1970-02-11, or even Paris 1970-09-12. And one of my favorite moments in the band's recorded legacy is the explosion of enthusiasm when Roger announces Eugene at the 1972-02-18 show at the Rainbow -- a fairly abrasive, distorted recording, yet magical in its way.

Comment

I also quite like Düsseldorf´71 for it, for when Roger announces ASOS one audiencemember says he will get an eargasm.

Comment

Brighton 20.01.1972: the audience reaction is just magical when they enter the syncopated pandemonium part of ASOS.

Comment

Working...
            X