Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[POLL] Best Post-81 Live PF Related Act?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[POLL] Best Post-81 Live PF Related Act?

So the question is "which PF related act is the best live show to see since 1980-1981"?
    Pink Floyd AMLOR Tour 87-88
    12.96%
    Pink Floyd TDB Tour 94-95
    14.81%
    Pink Floyd @ Live 8 (one time deal)
    16.67%
    David Gilmour
    18.52%
    Roger Waters
    14.81%
    Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
    14.81%
    3rd Party Band (Brit Floyd, Aus Floyd, Gilmour Exp, etc)
    0%
    I can't pick, I'm way too torn by all this greatness
    7.41%
    I can't pick, there's pretty much nothing here worth listening to
    0%
    Last edited by aybesea; 05-18-2023, 04:02 PM.
    Off surfing with Linda, of course...

So my answer is NMSOS. I think that they are simply astounding. And honestly, if I were to include PF 1980-81 in the poll I'd still pick Nick (although I doubt that many of you would agree). I just find the live Wall material so boring and lifeless.
    Last edited by aybesea; 05-18-2023, 04:05 PM.
    Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

I'm torn between the spectacle of the AMLOR (my first really big concert) and the fun that is NMSOS.
      What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Well, I’ve opted for David Gilmour as his shows he did in 2006 with Rick were very special; it was pretty much Floyd albeit without Nick and with David now embracing early Floyd songs, these I think were the best post-81 shows, although those he did in 1984 where he tried to unshackle himself from Floyd material were - looking back - less interesting.
        Nick's and Roger's tours were also wonderful to see but David and Rick performing Echoes together is unbeatable. Having said all that though, Live 8 still leaves me welling-up every time I watch it. Maybe I should have gone for ‘...way too torn by all this greatness' but, final answer - David Gilmour.

Comment

Originally posted by Journey Man View Post
          Well, I’ve opted for David Gilmour as his shows he did in 2006 with Rick were very special; it was pretty much Floyd albeit without Nick and with David now embracing early Floyd songs, these I think were the best post-81 shows, although those he did in 1984 where he tried to unshackle himself from Floyd material were - looking back - less interesting.
          Nick's and Roger's tours were also wonderful to see but David and Rick performing Echoes together is unbeatable. Having said all that though, Live 8 still leaves me welling-up every time I watch it. Maybe I should have gone for ‘...way too torn by all this greatness' but, final answer - David Gilmour.
          I agree with you. After rewatching David and Rick live in 2006 online it really captures the spirit of Floyd 1970-1975 with them playing things like Fat Old Sun, Wots Uh The Deal, Echoes, Shine On etc. Live 8 comes close simply because you can almost see them doing a full set and it worked very well. Roger in 2006 comes in third and that tour was great live.

Edit: If you haven’t seen it, David’s solo on Fat Old Sun from the Royal Albert Hall in 2006 is excellent.
          Last edited by TheGreenStrat; 05-18-2023, 07:25 PM.
          Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

While they are all great, and I even voted that I couldn't really choose, I lean slightly closer to Roger's stuff, because I like a lot of the material he either wrote or co-wrote the most.
            Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
            Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
            Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
            Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Hard to say...

The ones I saw live were the best of course

In fact, I want to say :
              - Gilmour 2006 : Really great lives with Rick
              - Mason : What a great choice to offer us a Early Years live. The band is so perfect, and Nick always have a good sense of humour
              - AMLOR : I receive a slap on my face when I watch the new bluray. I always loved this concert, but really, the new master is absolutely amazing
              - Pulse : My love story with Pink Floyd start with the laser disc of this live... a special place in my heart

Regarding Waters live, I love them, but, in fact, it lacks of emotion...

So, heart choice : Pulse
              Real preference : Gilmour 2006

Comment

I voted NMSOS, not that I've seen them but while I understand the appeal to others about seeing David and Richard play Echoes I'm personally less engrossed by David's post-1978 solo work. And there are much fewer duds (again to my personal taste only) in the NMSOS set list than any of the others listed. And sorry, but to my taste the Live 8 set list was just far too predictable and crowd-pleasing.

But also, NMSOS will be the only one of those I will have seen, when the tour comes down under later this year.

Comment

Undoubtedly, AMLOR!
                  This risk undoubtedly justified itself, despite the new rhythms and style of the 80s. I would call this album and tour a *light mirror image* of the 80-81 tour
                  We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

Working...
                  X