Pink Floyd Sound System 1972

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Floyd Sound System 1972

Apologies if this is common knowledge (it's not to me) but I came across this in the 1972-07-22 edition of Sounds. I never heard of them lending out their sound system to other acts/events.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	493
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	313136

Wind forward 50-odd years and that’d be classed as a DJ set

Comment

Osibisa in Azimuth glory. That would have been something!

Comment

Indeed, Ive never hear of PF lending out the PA in 1972
        I know they did it from 1977 on, they had their own company for it, i think it was called Britannia Row. Didn't work too well for the band tho

Comment

Along the same line, I found the post below a few years back. I had not heard of Pink Floyd using Phase Linear amps, back in the day Crown DC 300a amps were widely used.

.................................................. ............................
          The Pink Floyd Mk III’s were brutes, real workhorses. They were based upon highly modified Phase Linear 700s. I fitted beefier power supplies, more rugged output stages, and internal limiting which upped the power 50% over their civilian counterparts while retaining the sweet sound. I made over several truckloads of these beasts in Britro’s Long Island City workshop. These Mk IIIs had a peak power of about 500 watts per channel, and they were racked four channels to a case, making them some of the most powerful PA amps in existence in the late 1970s. We used these amps to drive our low and midrange cone speakers.

https://jerobison.blogspot.com/2008/...irca-1979.html

Comment

interesting....

Comment

mind you, they finished their UK tour at the end of June and went off to USA in September, so I guess a keen manager might have spotted a financial opportunity. Wonder if their FOH were on retainers at the time?

Comment

This was probably a one-off as a favour to Harvey Goldsmith who had set up the Garden Parties the previous year (with PF headlining obviously). They had been working with him since at least 67 when he was involved with various events at the Roundhouse, Alexandra Palace etc.

Peter Watts is namechecked in the programme and more info is on the UK Rock Festivals site: https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Garden-party-72.html

Comment

Working...
                X