Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish You Were Here acetate on eBay

Audio samples here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4rmbzabf1amhw/Music

Can anyone here listen to those audio samples and check if they’re legit?​ I’m not near a PC.

Comment

The samples sound legit (and unique) to me.

Comment

Sound legit to me too , very interesting especially the WttM outro sample.
        Last edited by f0427ea; 04-30-2023, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Rupert Pupkin
          Rupert Pupkin commented
          Editing a comment
          whilst with A.I extraction tools to cool have been possible to enlighten more Stephane Grappeli violin during the outro of Shine On (I can hear more wind on the sample; a different use of wind), the excerpt of the end of Welcome To The Machine is kick ass.
          It sounds like it's a different step than the Extraction Tapes (which was my favorite rendition of Welcome To The Machine : an acoustic version, with use of the infamous Peter Frampton voice alteration (which sounds damned good with David Gilmour) and some synth drones a-la Tangerine Dream).
          Here, it is perhaps a less experimental version since this is a test pressing but the ending has some great machine drones sounds during the outro.
          And yes with some audio tools this could be done, but why taking that much care to make a fake test pressing?

If those parts are legitimately different, I’d guess that this is a different pass at the mix of the full album. There’s probably more subtle differences throughout the whole album.

Anyone want to reach out and try to get a full rip from the seller? Organize a group buy and do our own transfer?

Comment

I did contact him for a lossless transfer.
          I will let you know

Comment

Hi. I asked the seller a few questions yesterday. This is his reply.....

Yes, this is the entire album: it is both sides and the running time of my recording is about 20 seconds shorter than the released album's running time, which is probably due to trimming the tracks on my recording.

I really have no idea what the value might be: some of John Peel's acetates sold for 3-4,000 at a Bonham's sale last year and I think this - with the Grappelli violin - should be in that sort of area.

I may be putting some additional tracks up on the shared drive - some other bidders have asked for it.

I am afraid this is the only Pink Floyd acetate that I own...

Kind regards,

Comment

Hi People, for years I've heard this shrill at the end (not as clear or as long) and believe I threw out a Hail Mary for someone to wipe out the wind on Y or on R&D to see if it was there. This is what Rick refers to in an old interview where he says you can hear the violin at the very end. I believe this is 100% legit. Listen closely to the original and you will hear the same shrilly sound. Here's my other theory. It's true that the original violin bit no longer exists and that's why the released recently version with Stephan feels like a practice run, especially toward the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Demamo View Post
                Hi People, for years I've heard this shrill at the end (not as clear or as long) and believe I threw out a Hail Mary for someone to wipe out the wind on Y or on R&D to see if it was there. This is what Rick refers to in an old interview where he says you can hear the violin at the very end. I believe this is 100% legit. Listen closely to the original and you will hear the same shrilly sound. Here's my other theory. It's true that the original violin bit no longer exists and that's why the released recently version with Stephan feels like a practice run, especially toward the end.
                yes - the violin is heard even in the regular stereo version - but it is especially heard in 5.1

Wish You Were Here - Violin - 5.1.mp3

Comment

For years I listened to the end of wish you... at full volume to try to hear the violin, but I never could... weeks ago, listening to one of the bluray mixes from the Immersion box, on my tv, since I don't have a 5.1 device , I managed to hear... it was a happy surprise!

Comment

Interesting - I'm not a 5.1 guy so had no idea. What I've always been able to hear on the original version what you hear at the 9 to 10 sec mark in svaerige's clip. I believe this acetate is going to have some surprises. It very well could have the extra notes in HAC that the Quadrophonic version has. Who knows, there may be something unique about Shine On pt 9 since my recollection (can't listen at this time) is that the extraction tapes have that part missing and it may have been tacked on. And if no sound effects at the end of WTTM, I wonder if there are any before WYWH. Pure speculation! I would contribute to this but can't take it on unfortunately.

Comment

It sold for U$2,146.
                      Is the lucky buyer amongst us?

Comment

Bargain if you ask me !

Comment

Its relisted now.... The seller does Not want to Transfer the acetate for Copyright reasons.....

Comment

Originally posted by SamSiamC View Post
                            Its relisted now....
                            Has it been? The only new listing I see has already ended. https://www.ebay.com/itm/256068790644

Comment

Working...
                            X