Roger’s In The Flesh tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger’s In The Flesh tour

I saw this tour and enjoyed the amphitheater setting at Jones Beach on Long Island. The special effects were limited and the crowd was smaller but the band was great.

Does anyone recall why this tour came so many years after Amused to Death? Not saying Roger needs a good reason to go on the road but I thought it was odd that the AtD promotion was limited. And then he does a tour several years after the album was no longer new. Wonder if he got burned by the smaller KAOS attendance and wanted to play it safe in 2000 with a simpler show. But even so, why the delay?

I think he got enough of tours who undersold (due to the limited attendance during the Pros and Cons and KAOS tours). In addition, his voice was not at its best at the time (this is even evident on the album), so he probably found it wise to give it a rest.
    I recall that I heard that Roger put out an ultimatum, that he would only tour AtD if it sold to Gold. And it didn't before several years later. So to put it shortly, that's why he didn't tour it at the time.

It's still a shame that apart from the 6 tracks he performed at some time during the In the Flesh tour, of which he has only performed 3 on later tours, this masterpiece has never been performed live though!

Comment

Originally posted by ILuvHoney View Post
      It's still a shame that apart from the 6 tracks he performed at some time during the In the Flesh tour, of which he has only performed 3 on later tours, this masterpiece has never been performed live though!
      Tribute act 'Infloyd' performed it live in Amsterdam back in 2017, they released it on CD https://www.discogs.com/release/1306...e-in-Amsterdam
      Not sure if they released it on DVD also? I bought the CD and it's really good. The same group also did the full 'The Final Cut' album live too, they never released that one but it can be found on download sites.

Comment

I loved that CD of their live performance of ATD, not easy to pull off such a complex album.

Rex > can you point me towards the link for the TFC covers album they did if you have it - please PM me if needed - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ILuvHoney View Post
          I heard that Roger put out an ultimatum, that he would only tour AtD if it sold to Gold. And it didn't before several years later. So to put it shortly, that's why he didn't tour it at the time.
          Wow never knew this. Interesting!

Comment

Here what Roger said on the eve of his 1999 tour:

« When I did my last album I had the desire to tour, but not to spend the millions of dollars required to do a really serious show, especially after the unenthusiastic reception in 1987.​ This year, I planned to spend the summer in the States with my family anyway and I thought why not do a few gigs a reasonably small venues where I can interact with the audience and they with me ? I wanted to see if I could rekindle some of the magic that I remember grom the early days with the Floyd »
            « The Differents shades of Roger Waters », Chicago Tribune, 18 July 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post

Tribute act 'Infloyd' performed it live in Amsterdam back in 2017, they released it on CD https://www.discogs.com/release/1306...e-in-Amsterdam
              Not sure if they released it on DVD also? I bought the CD and it's really good. The same group also did the full 'The Final Cut' album live too, they never released that one but it can be found on download sites.
              I usually don't care much for tribute bands, but when a good tribute band does my favourite album live in its entirity, which Roger unfortunately never did, I think I'll have to check it out! Thank you!

Would love to hear Roger do the whole album live though, particularly "Three Wishes" would be exciting to hear live.

Comment

• Rex
                Rex commented
                Editing a comment
                It still leaves you craving the real deal but it certainly scratches an itch, imo.

The CD is sold out but It is available for download via their Bandcamp page.

Originally posted by PFC67 View Post
              I loved that CD of their live performance of ATD, not easy to pull off such a complex album.

Rex > can you point me towards the link for the TFC covers album they did if you have it - please PM me if needed - thanks!
              Hmm, can't remember where I found it but it seems hard to locate online now. The recording I have is a bit rough with no EQ applied but I will PM link later tonight, there is some gorgeous artwork in the folder though, for both TFC & ATD and some for DSOTM which they also performed live in full.

It's hard to find any info about them as searches just assume their name is a typo of Pink Floyd, that and they're located in the Netherlands so most information is in Dutch :|
              I did find this video which shows that they filmed the TFC live shows too https://youtu.be/h1_KWduXMKE
              Wish they had released that as a DVD or CD but it doesn't look like they ever did?, was hoping there might be some Dutch members here who could shed a little more light on these chaps.

Comment

He said that he was humbled when the KAOS tour was not selling out small venues and David,Nick & Rick were selling out stadiums.
                During the 1999,2000 & 2002 tours he was approachable, he signed before and after shows. After the last show in KC he came out and signed, in 2002 he came out from the Four Seasons Hotel in Dublin to sign albums and posters as he did before the 2002 Wembley shows.
                Not the Roger we see currently.

Comment

Originally posted by RarePinkFloyd View Post
                  Here what Roger said on the eve of his 1999 tour:

"especially after the unenthusiastic reception in 1987."

That's what happens you go on tour the same year as your old band lol

Comment

Originally posted by mark2114 View Post
                    He said that he was humbled when the KAOS tour was not selling out small venues and David,Nick & Rick were selling out stadiums.
                    During the 1999,2000 & 2002 tours he was approachable, he signed before and after shows. After the last show in KC he came out and signed, in 2002 he came out from the Four Seasons Hotel in Dublin to sign albums and posters as he did before the 2002 Wembley shows.
                    Not the Roger we see currently.
                    Well, he has signed before every show before his current tour AFAIK.

I think he said something about that he would not sign on this tour because he was afraid of COVID. He needs to keep himself fit and retain his voice in order to be able to perform, so it's not really unreasonable that he wants to prevent getting sick. For me at least, getting the opportunity to see him live at all is a lot more important than getting my records signed.
                    In addition, performing a two hour show where he's constantly on fire night after night at the age of 79, as well as the preparations for the show, is hard work after all. It's probably reasonable to skip that unnessecary part in order to save his energy for the shows.

Comment

Working...
                    X