Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Boots From The Post-Waters Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Boots From The Post-Waters Era?

Not sure if this is the place for this question but I haven't checked out many shows from 87 onwards and I am more familiar with shows from 69-81. I have my personal favorites from that era but what are the best shows from 87-94? Whether its sound quality, musicianship, jamming, exploratory experiences etc I'm interested in expanding my horizons.
    Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

try this one from sept 13th 1994

https://ravinganddrooling.com/forum/...orrents/46811-

it's a nice soundboard recording and the performance was really nice!

incidentally, it's the only time I happened to see the Floyds live.

Comment

Modena, Italy in 1988 - a bootleg named “Nothing is Changed”

Comment

I just finished listening to the BBC 1994-10-20 show and was surprised by how good it was... I didn't expect that!
        Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

I never got the point of collecting this era, with pro recordings from both tours available and every performance basically the same. The exception is the 87 Philadelphia soundboard, worth having to get Echoes.

Comment

I'm not certain that I agree. I have a handful of shows that I think are better than others from this era. Example above... that's a hot show.
            Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
              I never got the point of collecting this era, with pro recordings from both tours available and every performance basically the same. The exception is the 87 Philadelphia soundboard, worth having to get Echoes.
              Knowing how increasingly professional and consistent the group became in 87-94 and that both tours had famous pro shot films and audio made of their shows, my question overall is extended to the other lesser known shows that might have great interludes, experimentation, and the occasional oddity in the set list. That Philly show is a good example of it and I actually heard the version of Echoes from it not too long ago.

Famously, the touring band had a hard time wrapping themselves around Echoes especially the famed middle seagull section which the 70’s Floyd had no issues with playing caused Nick Mason to quip “it takes proper musicians to fall apart.”
              Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
                Modena, Italy in 1988 - a bootleg named “Nothing is Changed”
                that's the one with Money and the unexpected kazoo, that's it ? great show indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post

that's the one with Money and the unexpected kazoo, that's it ? great show indeed.
                  No it's Turin 1994 with kazoo, and for my, the best comfortably numb solo

Comment

listen to 1988-07-28, one of the best money jams

Comment

Originally posted by keleven View Post
                      87 Philly was a blast, and the Echoes surreal.
                      I made a decent audience recording of the show which has circulated, but need to find that soundboard you mentioned.
                      Cheers

Comment

Earls Court 1994 Radio Source. I think it's an old Harvested release. It's taken from a BBC radio transmission, and it sounds really good. I believe it's from the show that makes up most of PULSE.
                        Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                        Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                        Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                        Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

For 1994 I really like the Rose Bowl shows, New Orleans, Giants Stadium, Miami, Torino, and the Earls Court Broadcast.

My favorite might be Modena though. The version of Sorrow on that night is outstanding.

I am less well versed in the 87 - 89 tours as I have been pretty well satisfied with Delicate Sound of Thunder, Venice, and Knebworth. The Chicago 1987 gigs are particularly well recorded, and the first night in Chicago has the final and best performance of Echoes from 1987. In my opinion anyway.

Comment

I've long held that same view, keleven, but am changing it now after experimenting with a few recordings from 1994; the shows do change a lot and some are indeed better than others. So far, I've listened to Miami (30 March), New Orleans (14 May), Gelsenkirchen (23 August), and two London concerts (20 and 29 October).

Miami is interesting in that the arrangements are quite different from "Pulse", and it often sounds like a continuation of the "Another Lapse" tour, but with less gimmicky (i.e. coke 80s) equipment. I don't find it very strong overall, though.

New Orleans is intense, specially the first set, and it is rightly said that Gilmour is in an experimental mood, both vocal and guitar wise, but there are spots where it seems that the group is not in it as much as he is; the "Comfortably Numb" solo is everything people praise it as, yet the group backing is not as strong to me. From this performance, a highlight, mostly thanks to Claudia Fontaine, is "The Great Gig in the Sky", which I tend to dislike post-1972 and studio.

Gelsenkirchen is a highlight, being well recorded, yes, but a beautiful performance on top of that. The Doppolas are very loud in this, and some solos, like on "Time", benefit a lot from that. A tone deaf and time crippled fan spoils "On the Turning Away" with his sprechgesang, but that song is so well performed that it still impresses, as does a very emotional "Shine on", and "Run like Hell" (these sans German reciter, thankfully), the latter in which Richard Wright plays a mad solo unlike anything I've ever heard from him.

The two London shows are not like each other, though both are brilliantly recorded. The 20th is marred, in my view, by nerves, and Gilmour is making mistakes that haven't cropped up in any of the shows I've so far listened to, with plenty of clumsy fingers and missed vocal cues abounding; nevertheless, "Sorrow" and "Keep Talking" are two wonderful performances from him; as are Tim Renwick's solos on "Learning to Fly" (too soon to claim this version of the song as its best from 1994?), "Another Brick in the Wall" and a bonus one on "Money" (also its best version of the tour?).

So far, I think the 29th October performance is my favourite; maybe it's because the pressure of the broadcast has lifted, and maybe it's because it's the last show of the tour, but it's a very relaxed, yet edgy show, with lots of chances taken. Once again, "Sorrow" impresses, but an unusual highlight for me is the solo in "High Hopes", a very emotional one; elsewhere, Mason gives an intense performance on "Us and Them", as does Gilmour on the "man with a gun" line. The feedback blast at the end of "Run like Hell" here is what rock is all about.

Watch this space for more.
                            Last edited by TheMoebLoop; 08-30-2024, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I still have the old World Tour ‘87 LP tucked away somewhere. Not the most amazing performance (first or second night of the tour?), but it’s interesting to hear the show before everything was really worked out and the performances became “robotic” as I’ve heard some people say. Echoes on that boot is a great example of something being so bad it’s good.

The Orange Bowl Miami 1987 soundboard recording served me as a good substitute for the shortened official release. Pretty good audio quality and a decent enough performance to warrant a listen every now and then. This in tandem with the recent DSOT remix made me appreciate how close the original release sounded to what was coming out of the PA at those shows.

I never delved too deeply into the ‘94 shows. Not a big fan of the Division Bell stuff, and the performances I’ve heard sounded a bit boring and even off putting at times. After reading some of these comments though it might be time to revisit that tour.

Comment

Working...
                              X