1974 French Broadcast Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1974 French Broadcast Query

While doing a bit of searching for my SBD list that I'm trying to curate, I found this quote on the Wikipedia (I know, roll your eyes now) page titled "Pink Floyd 1974 tours":

The first date of the tour was recorded by France's Europe 1 radio, with segments broadcast later in the year.
    The first date of the tour took place at the Palais de Exposition in Toulouse on June 18, 1974. I've never heard of any of these segments surfacing, and am curious as to whether or not this is true. (I also assume that the article means "Europa 1" instead of "Europe 1").

Anyways, thoughts on this? ​
    "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

I have read that bit of info before as well, though I don't remember where. I have never seen any super convincing evidence of it actually happening, unfortunately.

That said, just a year or two ago a member here discovered a cassette recording of a French radio broadcast from 1977 that was pretty much unknown before it ever showed up. All that to say my gut tells me there's something to the Toulouse thing you mention, fwiw. It sure would be nice to have a better recording from the French '74 tour one day.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryIsBored View Post
      (I also assume that the article means "Europa 1" instead of "Europe 1").
      Just for the sake of precision : it's really Europe 1. The station used to be called Europe n°1 in its first 20 years of existence but they dropped the "n°" ("numéro", which means number in French) around 1974. Europa 1, as in the "Broadcasting from Europa 1" bootleg, is a typo.
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe_1

Comment

I had access some years ago to the Europe 1 database who described all their tapes archives (at this time they needed some help to identify their recordings.
        There are the 1970 Champ-Elysées tapes (both form: with and without DJ) and the 1971 Lyon tape but here is no recording of the 1974 show. As asked to the curator, she replied there was no recording scheduled and no more thing beside the plain sponsorship.
        it was a common thing to have a radio sponsor for a concert hall. See the attached picture taken some days before the Pink Floyd gig, we can see an advert for RTL radio station of the left of the Pavillon de Paris hall
        A view of the Pavillon de Paris on February 1977

Side note, I gave the information to Lana (PF mgmt) since there were not aware about the existence of these tapes ...

@lennyif: it's not accurate, it was the Italian broadcast of a bootleg recording of the French gig in Pavillon de Paris, February 1977.

Comment

• rontoon
          rontoon commented
          Editing a comment
          FYI, Lana Topham is their video archivist and doesn't really deal with audio.

Originally posted by RarePinkFloyd View Post
        I had access some years ago to the Europe 1 database who described all their tapes archives (at this time they needed some help to identify their recordings.
        There are the 1970 Champ-Elysées tapes (both form: with and without DJ) and the 1971 Lyon tape but here is no recording of the 1974 show. As asked to the curator, she replied there was no recording scheduled and no more thing beside the plain sponsorship.
        it was a common thing to have a radio sponsor for a concert hall. See the attached picture taken some days before the Pink Floyd gig, we can see an advert for RTL radio station of the left of the Pavillon de Paris hall
        A view of the Pavillon de Paris on February 1977

Side note, I gave the information to Lana (PF mgmt) since there were not aware about the existence of these tapes ...

@lennyif: it's not accurate, it was the Italian broadcast of a bootleg recording of the French gig in Pavillon de Paris, February 1977.
        Thanks for the info! I figured that would probably be the result.
        "If I participate in this f**king effort, I hope I'm going to get my gold disc at the end of it. Imagine that!"

Comment

Just for fun, Michel Montange (alias Micou) was the photographer of Gini's 1974 Tour. He made a short video mixing his own photos (from the tour, off stage, and only one night in the hall of Dijon). For the record, his brother was the builder of the 2 choppers for Gini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_vKSk4DqoI

Comment

That was really neat to see - thanks for the links. Blasted choppers - too tough to handle in tight quarters!

Comment

Originally posted by lennyif View Post
              I have read that bit of info before as well, though I don't remember where. I have never seen any super convincing evidence of it actually happening, unfortunately.

That said, just a year or two ago a member here discovered a cassette recording of a French radio broadcast from 1977 that was pretty much unknown before it ever showed up. All that to say my gut tells me there's something to the Toulouse thing you mention, fwiw. It sure would be nice to have a better recording from the French '74 tour one day.
              well, the 1977 broadcast was actually a Paris show audience tape broadcast on local Italian FM, the rumoured 1974 broadcast appeared to be official and nation wide, so it should be well known if it happened I guess...

Comment

Working...
              X