Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Take #3 - Grab that cash with both hands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Take #3 - Grab that cash with both hands...

Taking over for Skinny on this one:

Pink Floyd will one day sell their back catalog (Rhino, Sony, hedge fund, whoever).
    Absolutely. Gimour sold his guitars, didn't he?
    17.02%
    Nick wouldn't object, too busy with his cars.
    4.26%
    Everything has its price.
    36.17%
    There's still a lot of money to be wrung out of the old war horse.
    17.02%
    Roger would rather die than sell his babies (songs) to The Man!
    25.53%
    Good Lord, it's Kitty Carlisle! And she's packing heat! - Crow T. Robot

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
    PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
    Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
    Rog - Aug 20, 2020, Atlanta (Taped)
    Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Roger is already insanely rich and has more money than Dave Gilmour. Sure, Dave might sell "PINK FLOYD (1987) LIMITED Company number 02103633​" and Pink Floyd Music (1987) rights to later songs, films, videos, art etc but can't see Roger needing or wanting to sell anything pre-1985.

Comment

And I would agree with you on those points. Hypothetically, what do you think they could get for everything up to The Final Cut + post-1987 material? $200-$250 million range? Springsteen got $500 million while Dylan got maybe a little more for publishing and masters. My take is that Bruce got a little too much and Dylan not enough considering worldwide impact.

FWIW, there's a list from Alan Cross's website listing the various artist catalog sales.

Comment

I think all of the poll alternatives are true. David Gilmour will probably sell the whole thing because he loves money, Nick will not stand in his way (he rarely stands in anyone's way btw), while Roger will object but there's not much he can do about it, except to The Wall and The Final Cut to which he owns the rights and will certainly keep the rights to until he dies (not sure what Harry Waters or whoever inherits those rights will do about it when he's gone).

There is still money to be earned on the material, but we have to realize that our heroes are getting old now. So for the sake of money, selling it is reasonable, so Gilmour can get a decent amount of money for him and Polly to spend during his last years, while Nick can get a nice sum with which he can buy another rare sports car. I don't think money is so important for Roger that he is willing to sell out, and he is already the richest of them, so he won't sell his material. But he has little choice in the matter when it comes to anything prior to The Wall, because those were the terms on which he settled out of court with in 1987: David and Nick got the rights to everything (except the pig) up to and including Animals, on the condition that Roger could have The Wall, The Final Cut and Algie.

Comment

And is there much left to attract a buyer other than Spotify plays or residual physical sales? In more recent years they've released TEY,/ TLY boxes, Immersion sets, recent Animals set, Endless River, MLoR redo, Piper Mono/Stereo, Discovery box, Shine On box, MFSL discs, Oh By The Way box, 1994 Ummagumma set, WYWH SACD, Anybody Out There and vinyl reissues. (what did I miss?

Is there anything else of value other than maybe something with Meddle? And even that probably wouldn't make much so may not be worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
            And is there much left to attract a buyer other than Spotify plays or residual physical sales? In more recent years they've released TEY,/ TLY boxes, Immersion sets, recent Animals set, Endless River, MLoR redo, Piper Mono/Stereo, Discovery box, Shine On box, MFSL discs, Oh By The Way box, 1994 Ummagumma set, WYWH SACD, Anybody Out There and vinyl reissues. (what did I miss?

Is there anything else of value other than maybe something with Meddle? And even that probably wouldn't make much so may not be worth the effort.
            One greatly missed thing that is yet to see an official release is the pro-shot video from The Wall tour. But Roger owns the right to that, and he is yet to give the green light for a release, although it's well-known that he has it all - probably even several whole shows. So for the time being, we only have the leaked VHS-sourced bootleg releases from Nassau and Earls Court who suffer from terrible generation loss, as well as some audience 8mm footage from that tour. I have been waiting for a release of that DVD ever since I got into Pink Floyd in the first place, and I guess a lot of other people have as well. It will definitely find a market.
            In addition, Is There Anybody Out There has been out of print on CD for years (they are actually going for quite high prices on the used market now for that reason as well) and is yet to see a vinyl release. A reissue - this time with a vinyl set as well - would be great.

In addition, all the things that have been released on limited box sets could be released separately: KQED, San Tropez, the whole Wembley show, Stockholm 1967, and all that other stuff. Plus a separate compilation of all the 60s outtakes like Scream Thy Last Scream, Vegetable Man, the 1965 recordings, In the Beechwoods etc. I hate that all the nice goodies they are releasing are released on those box sets who are available for a limited time and expensive, particularly when they split recordings over several sets as is the case with the Wembley 1974 recordings (Dark Side portion: Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box Set as well as 50th Anniversary Edition, and now also a standalone release; Shine On, Raving and Drooling and You've Got to Be Crazy: Wish You Were Here Immersion Box Set; Echoes: The Early Years box set) when a full live album is what would be most interesting.

Comment

I agree that the biggest card Pink Floyd have to play with their archives is The Wall concert material. Beyond that though, they've put out a lot of material in the past twenty years. If they were to sell their catalogue, what can someone do with it that they haven't already done?

Comment

Originally posted by brainysod View Post
                If they were to sell their catalogue, what can someone do with it that they haven't already done?
                $300 50th Anniversary box for Wish You Were here with no extras?

Comment

My only hope with the catalog being sold to an outsider, is that they won't have the same qualms about releasing stuff like "subpar" soundboard tapes. There's got to be at least a few on cassette tape they could release.

Comment

Originally posted by ammoj2 View Post
                    My only hope with the catalog being sold to an outsider, is that they won't have the same qualms about releasing stuff like "subpar" soundboard tapes. There's got to be at least a few on cassette tape they could release.
                    Well, if the soundboards in question are stuff like the 1977 Vienna one, I think they could rather take a great audience bootleg (e.g. Oakland) instead and remaster it. I don't really see the point with inferior SBDs if better audience recordings are available on bootlegs.

Comment

I do think if it is sold, it is somewhat more likely to be sold to either Rhino or Sony Music, because they're already trusted by the 3 surviving shareholders (all three are still renewing contracts with Columbia). I chose "Nick's too busy with his cars" because I thought it was funny and when I don't have an answer to a poll the funny answer wins.
                      Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
                      Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
                      Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
                      Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Working...
                      X